View Full Version : Patron Saint of Skating

deannathegeek
02-25-2008, 08:45 PM
My nephew is a very devout Catholic, and loves talking about it every opportunity he gets. Fairly unusual, since he'll be 15 in April. Anywho, we got to talking about patron saints and he told me to Google Saint Lidwina. Turns out she's the Patron Saint of skaters. Here's the article I found (http://www.rollerskatersgazette.com/saint.htm). I hope you enjoy it, no matter your religious beliefs.

Clarice
02-26-2008, 08:50 AM
Yeah, good ol' St. Lidwina. I'm Catholic, too, and totally into the patron saint thing (St. Anthony and I have quite a close relationship, since I always seem to be losing things), but St. Lidwina's story has even me going :roll: . I mean, seriously - making somebody the patron saint of skating because they died of a supposedly skating-related injury? I don't exactly find that inspirational! Although, from your article, I suspect there was a whole lot more going on with her than just that skating injury (if she really even existed at all - the documentation on some of those early saints is pretty sketchy). All in all, I think I'll stick with St. Therese, my own patron saint, who, if I recall correctly, I share with Tara Lipinski. :halo:

littlekateskate
02-26-2008, 02:47 PM
Wow, thanks for the link! It is a great idea to get for a present. I wish i could find a cute medal though of Lidwina. I have found tons of Christopher ones with a skater on them but cant find one like that for Lidwina. :(