View Full Version : Ice rules

Mainemom
02-25-2008, 01:40 PM
If this has been covered previously (which it probably has), please point me in the right direction!

We're having a great deal of difficulty at our rink when we have a competition or test session coming up and everyone is trying to fit playing their music into the insanely few hours of free-style ice that we have (50 minutes on Friday night and 2 50 minute sessions on Saturday). I am so tired of getting scolded by the coaches and skaters that the other moms and I who usually run the music are refusing to do so until we have some rules that are published and agreed upon by everyone. So we are curious as to what other clubs do - coaches get priority, skaters can play their music only twice per session, dancers get two patterns, skaters not on lesson can only be bumped twice....

We would love to know what other clubs do, and what we are forgetting to cover. I want to print it in large print on brightly colored paper and stick it to the glass by the music booth - so we can point to it and say "Dems da rules! Sorry you can't play your music again and again and again when we have others waiting!"

deannathegeek
02-25-2008, 01:58 PM
At my rink in Austin, playing someone's music for them is first come/first serve. At the beginning of the freestyle session you give your CD to the rink manager on duty and they'll give you a number. When the number before yours comes up, a rink guard will let you know your turn is coming up.

What I do is go to an afternoon public skate session during school hours so I'm one of the few people skating. At that time, I can usually play my music as many times as I want, so long as no one complains.

littlekateskate
02-25-2008, 02:56 PM
at our rink only you can play your music. You put them in line and that is just that and they get played in that order. Even skaters with a coach on the ice have to put their music in order.

Now for public sessions when its slow. A skater may play his or her music. However parents are not allowed to do it. However since my daughter is only 4 and cant reach the music and i am not allowed.. She is only allowed to do it if her coach is there to turn on her music. Which i dont find fair. How can a 10 year old be able to practice with her music just because she can push the button my dd in the same level as her not get to practice! :)

Good luck and keep your ground! :)

Virtualsk8r
02-25-2008, 07:30 PM
The general rule at rinks I frequent are:
1) coaches with skater in a lesson
2) skater in music line
3) all skaters who have had their music either in a lesson or otherwise

Coaches can bump skaters but can't have back-to-back programs played - and only one coach request every 15 minute lesson.

Sometimes the coaches take up most of the time because there are so many skaters in lessons, but generally it works out.

Also- coaches and skater who are not testing or competing should allow those who are - in line ahead of them.

And during busy times --- no repeats or programs if skater bails!!!

Kim to the Max
02-25-2008, 07:40 PM
For us it's a general line or request for music (go to the music room and ask them to put your name on the list), but programs for a lesson bump you.

It tends to work out because our sessions don't have that many people on them and generally everyone gets the music they want (program, dance, show music, etc) played as many times as they need it. Sometimes it can get annoying to hear the same music again, and again, and again, but that's the way it goes...

CanAmSk8ter
02-26-2008, 09:03 AM
I think in the On-Ice forum there's a sticky about freestyle session rules- there's probably stuff about music playing in there.

http://www.skatingforums.com/showthread.php?t=22246

thumbyskates
02-26-2008, 01:31 PM
We have a preset list of everyone who's bought the session for the season, in the order that was paid. Buy-Ons go to the bottom.
The music player calls out the name in the order on the sheet and if the skater refuses it then they go to the next one.
Coach can request music at any time in the session. Skaters can never request.