View Full Version : Hughes to work on 3 axel!

Dustin
04-28-2002, 03:25 PM
Scroll down:
http://www.freep.com/sports/othersports/ice26_20020426.htm

I think she should try to fully rotate her other triples before she actually starts working on triple axels. It would be great for her to land it, but I wouldn't like to see it unless it was fully rotated.

deanna35
04-28-2002, 04:57 PM
I have to agree with you on that, Dustin. I think Sarah's skating has other flaws that should be corrected before she works on adding another jump. :roll:

Schmeck
04-28-2002, 04:58 PM
As an 'advertisement' type article, I found it pretty interesting. So she's going to start training the 3 axel, at age 17? Could be possible.

Sounds like she's going to skate one more year, then head off to college, doesn't it? Wonder if she'll retire without a World Championship, or even a National Championship?

Lucky
04-28-2002, 05:53 PM
As much as I would like to see a lady do the 3 Axel, I would much rather Sarah work on her overall skating technique. :(

loveskating
04-29-2002, 08:15 AM
I doubt seriously if she can land a 3 axel; although the runout on her 2 axel is great, the axel itself is not technically sound if you compare to the great axels (Kulik, Kurt, Peternko, Boitano, Harding, Ito etc.) She hurls herself across the ice, does not step up into the jump.

IMHO, and Timmy said this, one's technique on any extra rotation (say quad, and in this case 3 axel) has to be BETTER...he actually said that he goes into the quads a bit slower and more carefully as to technique, that its not an issue of gathering more speed.

IMHO, those who need that speed, who don't have the natural spring UP, who get the jump almost totally across the ice, will all have the same problems...too much torque on the rotations to check out and land the jump.

lisabelle
04-30-2002, 02:58 PM
working on a 3axel doesn't mean she's not going to work on the rest of her jumps. i was taught a lutz before i had a consistent loop; it's pretty common to be working on more than one thing at once.

Hannahclear
05-01-2002, 08:22 AM
I really wish that Sarah would focus on her style first, technical flaws second and of the utmost importance---stand up straight! Drives me nuts, sorry. Rounded shoulders just make me sad. 8O
Sarah has wonderful potential and is a wonderful skater. However, unless things change in her skating, I wouldn't be very surprised if Sasha overtook her next season.
As for the axel plan, I don't think that's very realistic. She does have great technique on her double, but I think to land a jump of that difficulty,you must have overall good technique, and I think Sarah still needs to work on this.

Ice_On_Winnipeg
05-01-2002, 09:13 AM
I have to agree with Hannahclear.... I think the training on the 3-axel is secondary to becoming a better technique-type skater. I understand she may want to work on it...but perfect everything else first.

cienicsk8
05-04-2002, 11:48 PM
It's that posture of hers! I can't look at it. She does a lot of things well, and she seems to have a wonderful personality and outlook on life.
But I really can't say I truly enjoy watching her.

Patrick Brunk
05-05-2002, 03:37 PM

loveskating
05-06-2002, 08:34 PM
To P. Brunk:

I don't know why you mentioned Sasha...very few of the senior ladies underrotate their jumps, have such bad posture, such a horrible lutz and bend their leg on spirals, or are off center or even lurching on virtually all of their turns -- not A.P. McDonough, not Jennifer Kirk, not Michelle Kwan, not Irina Sluteskaya, not Maria Butereskaya, not many, in fact.

lisabelle
05-11-2002, 12:21 PM
wow does this board love to be anti sarah. sarah definitely has her flaws, but then so does sasha, michelle, irina, ap, all of them. many of sarah's flaws are also made out to be much worse than they really are, (which i think is also true of other skaters as well, ie sasha's "no edges," they are not the best, but they have improved and they're not a monstrous problem at all anymore)

and as for the 3 axel, who cares if sarah says she's working on it. it doesn't mean much at all until she's attempting it in competition. who hasn't said they're working on a 3axel? (rhetorical ? folks...i know that's an exaggeration)

proam
05-11-2002, 06:01 PM
“Sarah should be working on her other flaws before…” or words to that effect, this is pretty much a standard response for Sarah’s detractors. But this is understandable when her detractors are frustrated with Sarah’s winning ways. :wink:

My, such an assumption that Sarah is not working on her “flaws”.

The ‘Flawed” Sarah was eight at her first Worlds, fifth at her second Worlds, third at her third Worlds and first at her first Olympic and all these results by the age of sixteen. Hmmm seems like Sarah was working on something.

I have no doubt that if Sarah is saying she is working on the triple axel then she is working on the triple axel along with other techniques.

Patrick Brunk
05-11-2002, 06:07 PM
.................................................. ...

loveskating
05-11-2002, 10:55 PM
I don't see how its "anti-Sarah" to say you'd rather see her work on other things than a 3 axel...everyone knows there is only so much work you can do every day on the ice without overworking (or do they?).

It could be just a simple matter of people not liking underrotated jumps, a really terrible flutz, being off center on turns, and having a bent leg on the spirals and all similar positions, and given the fact she is a medal winner, perhaps people would like to see her come up to the standard that most medal winners have achieved in their actual skating? I mean, frankly, the first medal winners that did not have a true lutz were Kwan and Tara...certainly Oksana, Ito, Harding, Kerrigan all had great lutzes (course, Sarah's layback beats all these to heck).

Also, I don't see how its "anti" to analyze something...I honestly don't think Sarah has a 3 axel in her, because her 2 axel is not technically correct in the first place. I think if Sarah gets the 3rd rotation (from speed gathered by strokes into the jump rather than stepping up into the jump, as is the case with her 2 axel), she will have too much torque to have the strength to check out of the jump, or will have such a hard landing that she cannot hold the edge.

I could certainly be wrong. I never thought Sarah would land two 3/3s either, but she did.

aygltd2
05-12-2002, 10:33 AM
[quote:319ba06b8f="Patrick Brunk"]Well - all of you who are saying she needs to work on her technique seem to be comparing her to Sasha Cohen. Well at least Sarah's choreography has actual content. Sasha has no problems with posture to work on because her programs are so empty. So while we are telling people to work on their technique and choreography before big jumps, maybe Dear Miss Cohen should consider working on adding content and footwork and better Edges, Speed and Ice Coverage before she adds that Quad Salchow.

[/quote:319ba06b8f]

Patrick- WOW! u really seem ANTI-Sasha :cry: !!! FYI Sasha does her own choreography and I think it's GREAT!! And Sasha's speed is fine! Sasha's my fave!!

Rachael
05-12-2002, 01:02 PM
I don't think Patrick was being anti Sasha. Nor, do I think anyone was being anti Sarah. Both are great skaters. Both need to work on stuff to make them even better skaters.

Patrick Brunk
05-12-2002, 05:28 PM