View Full Version : Skate size vs. Shoe Size

TimeForTea
01-24-2008, 07:18 PM
My 9 year old daughter is in basic level 5. She just bought new skates last night. She was fitted by the skating pro-shop. She wears a size 3 shoe size. She was fitted into a Jackson Mystique size 4. She skated with them and told me they felt fine....however, I am reading all over the internet that skates should usually be a full size smaller than your shoe size. I can't return them, however should I be concerned ?....or forget about it, because she says they are ok.
Thanks so much.

Isk8NYC
01-24-2008, 10:46 PM
How much room does she have in the front? Do her heels pull up in the back?

My kids are in Jackson Freestyles and the skate size is the same as their shoe size, yet my oldest daughter's adult-sized freestyles are almost 2 sizes smaller. *shrug*

If they are a little big, you can put a second innersole under the existing one. That'll bring her foot up a bit inthe skate and make it fit tighter.

However, if there's way too much room, they may have mismeasured her.

TimeForTea
01-25-2008, 09:02 AM
I am not sure how much room she has in front.....my daughter says they are ok....but is there a way I can tell ??

Isk8NYC
01-25-2008, 09:19 AM
Tie the skates and ask her if her toes can touch if she stretches them out all the way. If they just touch the front, it's okay. You can also pull out the insole and have her stand on it so you can see if she has 2" in front or not.

TimeForTea
01-25-2008, 09:43 AM
Thanks so much for your suggestions. I will try them when my daughter gets home from school. Re: standing on the insole....if she does have 2 inches extra, is that good ? That sounds like a lot.

Isk8NYC
01-25-2008, 09:53 AM
Thanks so much for your suggestions. I will try them when my daughter gets home from school. Re: standing on the insole....if she does have 2 inches extra, is that good ? That sounds like a lot.
No, it's not good, I was being sarcastic. Sorry. (I forgot the eye-rolling smilie.)

Her toes should end near the front, maybe a 1/2" away. Make sure her heel is in the right spot before you measure .

skatergee01
01-25-2008, 11:45 AM
you should trust your daughter! not everybody has the same feet. =]

Isk8NYC
01-25-2008, 11:52 AM
you should trust your daughter! not everybody has the same feet. =]Speaking from years of experience, a nine-year old will tell you "it's fine" because they like loose-fitting footwear. Then, she'll get discouraged when she's tripping over her toes every five minutes because the skates are the wrong size. I think we let her Mom check the size. (I just fitted my own nine-year olds for skates, so I can sympathize with the original poster.)

Did they measure her feet with the measuring stick? I ask because Jackson has a different measuring tool than Riedell.
If they did mismeasure your DD, the pro shop should make good on the sale. Before we jump to conclusions, just check it out.

TimeForTea
01-26-2008, 07:37 AM
Results of measurement: My daughter had 1/4 inch extra insole on one foot, and just about 1/2 inch on the other foot. So, I feel better. Yes, the pro-shop salesperson measured her foot with the Jackson Stick (and the Riedell). It was just so disconcerting to me to read all over the internet (AFTER the purchase) that skates are typically a whole size smaller than shoe size. Thanks for all your help Isk8NYC.

Isk8NYC
01-26-2008, 08:58 AM
You're welcome and also, Welcome to SkatingForums!
Hope to hear from you often!