View Full Version : Do you tan for competition?

littlekateskate
01-13-2008, 02:39 PM
Just curious if many people tan for tests/competitions.

Clarice
01-13-2008, 04:40 PM
My daughter has sometimes tanned for shows when she had to wear a white or very light colored dress (we're not talking club shows here - it's the local symphony's annual holiday show with audiences of up to 9000 people). Neither she nor anybody I know has ever bothered for a test or competition. What difference would it make?

littlekateskate
01-13-2008, 05:20 PM
It doesnt make a difference. It just like tights preference, its all a matter of opinion and what people think is important for themselves. I am very self consious about my body and with a little and i mean a little color it makes me feel better. And i thought there may be people out there who feel the same in there dresses.

jazzpants
01-13-2008, 09:08 PM
I wear tights and dresses with mesh sleeves to smooth out a burn skin graft on my entire (left) arm, so tanning for me is unnecessary! LOL!!! :P

phoenix
01-13-2008, 09:43 PM
Not for skating. We used to do major tanning for ballroom comps/shows, it's part of the culture. For skating, it's not.

FlyAndCrash
01-13-2008, 10:12 PM
There isn't that much to tan depending on the dress... Leg color can be tanned instantly due to tights.

tidesong
01-14-2008, 02:07 AM
Never thought of it, I only knew when I was afraid my tan from swimming would show up by the time competition came around because of the wierd lines it made.
On the other hand, I'm not pale to begin with so I don't fade into the ice much. Also the culture here for normal day (not skating) is to go for lightening instead of the opposite.

Schmeck
01-14-2008, 06:59 AM
With the increase of skin cancer, especially melanoma, I'm surprised anyone thinks tanning is a good thing! I had to stop skating because the re-excision of a melanoma on the back of one leg went so deep it messed with the muscle. Something you tanning skaters should consider...

looplover
01-14-2008, 08:33 AM
Never even thought about it - I have the ideal skin cancer skin type plus want to stave off the wrinkles as much as possible. I wear 30spf moisturizer every day.

Admittedly annoying of me to say this but - most sun damage is done before the age of 17 (I heard)...I know your daughter skates but maybe forget the tanning? Just use bronzer :D

twokidsskatemom
01-14-2008, 12:26 PM
never never heard of anyone tanning before comps...... why would you ?

littlekateskate
01-14-2008, 12:26 PM
Admittedly annoying of me to say this but - most sun damage is done before the age of 17 (I heard)...I know your daughter skates but maybe forget the tanning? Just use bronzer :D

Umm I was just curious I would never let a 4 year old tan other than playing outside in the summer. Seriously, I am almost insulted. Just because a person inquires about something doesnt mean they do it. And yes most sun damage is done younger in life.

I honestly just though since alot of people wear such ligter color dresses they may feel the need to tan or to match their color of tights.

Morgail
01-14-2008, 01:09 PM
Not me. I'm super pale, but it works for me:) I'm too freaked out about skin cancer, so I've never gone to a tanning bed. And the creams, etc. all seem so messy & I'm afraid I'd turn orange.
I was pale as a ghost for my January wedding...nearly blended into my dress. So I suppose I'll just keep blending into the ice too. At least I have dark hair to give me some color;)

Mrs Redboots
01-14-2008, 01:50 PM
I did use tanning lotion (I wouldn't dream of using a sunbed or anything like that; I value my skin too much!) with one dress as it had a keyhole at the back, so I put (or got my husband to put) tanning lotion there! I always wear sleeves as I have serious bingo wings these days, but do put on serious make-up, so the tan was needed.

Incidentally the elites all do it. Overheard at my rink last week:

Female ice dancer (about to compete in the European Championships), after an upside-down lift: "Oh, sorry, I think I've got make-up all over your T-shirt!"
Her partner: "Not to worry, it's probably my Man-tan!"

Mind you the young woman was also fake-tanned to the max, as her dress is bare at the back. I do hope the rink in Zagreb isn't cold - nothing is worse than when your partner puts his very cold hand on your bare back when you are about to dance....

looplover
01-14-2008, 03:18 PM
Umm I was just curious I would never let a 4 year old tan other than playing outside in the summer. Seriously, I am almost insulted. Just because a person inquires about something doesnt mean they do it. And yes most sun damage is done younger in life.

I honestly just though since alot of people wear such ligter color dresses they may feel the need to tan or to match their color of tights.

Sheesh, I don't know why you would be insulted, that sort of question is usually asked for a reason, like, planning to tan? I dunno. I mean, who tans anymore?? Sorry, it's just an odd question. :roll:

Besides, I don't know you, so don't take it personally. Plenty of pageant/skating moms out there who just take things a bit too far...I'd have no way of knowing if you're one of them!

twokidsskatemom
01-14-2008, 03:29 PM
I did use tanning lotion (I wouldn't dream of using a sunbed or anything like that; I value my skin too much!) with one dress as it had a keyhole at the back, so I put (or got my husband to put) tanning lotion there! I always wear sleeves as I have serious bingo wings these days, but do put on serious make-up, so the tan was needed.

Incidentally the elites all do it. Overheard at my rink last week:

Female ice dancer (about to compete in the European Championships), after an upside-down lift: "Oh, sorry, I think I've got make-up all over your T-shirt!"
Her partner: "Not to worry, it's probably my Man-tan!"

Mind you the young woman was also fake-tanned to the max, as her dress is bare at the back. I do hope the rink in Zagreb isn't cold - nothing is worse than when your partner puts his very cold hand on your bare back when you are about to dance....

I would guess that the high level skaters do it due to age, not skating. Alot of teens/young adults tan. I wouldnt link it to skating at all.
I see alot of kids having hair/nails done , even at regionals/sectionals. Not tanning unless its what they do all the time.

littlekateskate
01-14-2008, 03:44 PM
I dont know. I occasionaly tan but more often if I have a wedding or big event coming up.

The Skin Cancer Foundation reports 30 million people tan indoor annually and only 2.3 million of them are teens. So that is quite a high number of adults. And I am sure the beach tanners are quite high as well.

And they say the average is 1 million a day tan.

But I didnt think it was that ridiculous of a question. Competitions just seemed like an important event where extra skin is shown. And I know so many people who tan for big events (prom, weddings, ect) and just was curious.

looplover
01-14-2008, 03:50 PM
I didn't mean to insult! I work in the medical field and am constantly worried about skin cancer (I know too many people with it) so I admit I get on a soapbox about tanning. Not that it keeps me from the beach...but I load up on sunblock and don't usually go peak hours.

I would probably fake tan. I think up to now I've just been so nervous about the skating itself when required to wear that dress that I didn't think about skin color. But, since my dress is sleveless, I DO think about my current lack of arm muscle tone :(

I dont know. I occasionaly tan but more often if I have a wedding or big event coming up.

The Skin Cancer Foundation reports 30 million people tan indoor annually and only 2.3 million of them are teens. So that is quite a high number of adults. And I am sure the beach tanners are quite high as well.

But I didnt think it was that ridiculous of a question. Competitions just seemed like an important event where extra skin is shown. And I know so many people who tan for big events (prom, weddings, ect) and just was curious.

twokidsskatemom
01-14-2008, 03:57 PM

the folks that tan for wedding.proms ect WOULD be teens and OR young adults.That really is the market, not the over 40 group.
which is why I said I think skaters that tan do it not due to skating.I have never seen anyone at a comp tan BUT for the teens that tan just to tan.

Clarice
01-14-2008, 04:44 PM

I guess the skaters I know don't consider a competition a "big event" in the same category as a prom or a wedding. They might tan (either tanning beds or spray-on) if the event were going to be under professional show lighting or TV lighting, but not for ordinary competitions, even Regionals.

jskater49
01-14-2008, 05:49 PM
never never heard of anyone tanning before comps...... why would you ?

My dd ALWAYS puts on a overnight tanner before a competition or test. She's very pale. She uses tanner pretty regularly anyway. She looks pretty pasty without it.

j

litigator
01-14-2008, 05:57 PM
ours tans...but b/c she does ballroom, not skating. however, it gives her a nice glow on the ice.

tan by the way is mystic tan (studio that does spray on tanning-give her about two shades darker) and then a dose of the neutrogena medium to tan glow facial to keep it looking natural...we hate the orange glow feature......

a little color goes a long way...I see nothing wrong with it....then again.. in ballroom the darker the better.....which we don't do......[thats what fishnets are for on the legs......] some go overboard with the cake tanning makeup case and literally do dark all the way to using that makeup pad right under the arms seen often at ballroom comps from the little ones right thru to the old.....yuck.

I do think some of our elite Canadian female skaters do tan-as in mystic tanning....but I could be wrong.....the color however, looks pretty darn similar to what our girl looks like...so if I am wrong, its purely the color I'm looking at that gives me that conclusion....:giveup:

twokidsskatemom
01-14-2008, 05:59 PM
My dd ALWAYS puts on a overnight tanner before a competition or test. She's very pale. She uses tanner pretty regularly anyway. She looks pretty pasty without it.

j

That was my point. Im sure skaters that tan as a rule would tan before a comp. But its not one of the things I see skaters do before comps. Hair and makeup would be number one.

Schmeck
01-16-2008, 06:01 PM
I'm glad to hear the ballroom dancers do the spray-on tan, not tanning beds. Some of them still look freakish (the really fake blonde ones with the very fake dark skin) but at least they got that way without cooking themselves, hopefully? But some of them look so dark brown that I keep thinking it has to be the tanning bed tan. :(

I tanned as a kid, and got some burns, and used tanning booths when they first came out (we were told it was a 'safe' tan) and spent a lot of time out of doors for summer jobs. I've definitely damaged my skin, by my own choices, but I always hope that the younger generation has learned from my generation's mistake in thinking that a tan is good for a person.

blackmanskating
01-18-2008, 03:10 PM
Umm I am of African descent so I have a God-given tan already built in. LOL :mrgreen: This poll made me smile a little bit.

BlackManSkating

littlekateskate
01-18-2008, 03:34 PM
Yes, we are not all naturally blessed with a beautiful tan :) hehe you are funny

Isk8NYC
01-18-2008, 04:25 PM
Umm I am of African descent so I have a God-given tan already built inMy childhood next-door neighbors were African-Americans, oh excuse me, American-Africans -- they corrected me once for saying I was German-American. To them, the AMERICAN part came first, lol. Netted me a 15-minute lecture and a viewing of the JFK picture in their lobby. God rest their souls, I loved that family.

The mother drove a camp bus one summer and showed me how both of her arms were different shades - no a/c on the bus, so she always had her left arm out the window and it became very dark. In her words, she was blaaaaack and her family was from St. Maaaaarten, lol. I was, of course, a "white girl" because I am very fair-skinned.

Back OT: I've never tanned for a skating or other event.