View Full Version : Is 30 too old to compete in Senior events?

talakap
01-07-2008, 03:54 AM
Hi all,

I am turning 30 soon...yikes! And, I just started skating again about a year ago after a break of about 8 years. In the last year, I got all my doubles back, and am close to clean double axel, triple sal, toe, and loop. Once upon a time, I had all triples and competed at the Senior level but than a bad injury took me off the ice for a long time, and then university took over my life. I really love skating and am feeling better about it now than when I was younger. I finally found a great coach and really feel like I am getting better and better.

So, my dilemma is this: I want to try competing again at the Senior level. I feel like I need to get it out of my system. But, I'm feeling self-conscious about my age. I look like I'm 18 and in the best shape of my life right now. Having said that, though, I dread thinking how others will view me competing against teenagers. I don't expect to win Worlds or anything, but would love to just go for it and see what happens.

What do you guys think...should I go for it? Or am I too old and it's too weird?

Thanks for your help

kayskate
01-07-2008, 06:49 AM
Go for it! You might even win. You may feel weird, but if you really look 18, no one will even notice. They won't know you from other comps, but you will get to know ppl. Most will respect you. You can also compete adult masters (assuming you are in the US), but if you are really a senior level skater, you may really enjoy that level of competition.

Kay

SynchroSk8r114
01-07-2008, 08:05 AM
Wow! Congratulations! :bow:

Totally go for it! If you don't, you're going to be regretting this opportunity for your next 30 years. You never know what will happen unless you try. This is a fabulous opportunity. And, believe me - people will applaud and respect you for going for it. You've obviously found a great coach who belives in you; what do you have to lose? The only person who thinks it's weird will be you, LOL! Besides, it's not like you have to tell anyone you're almost thirty...although after you kick butt you can mention it and relish in the thrill of beating those nearly half your age with your awesome talent, hard work, and determination.

icedancer2
01-07-2008, 12:14 PM
You should go for it - I remember back in the '90s there was a guy who made it to Nationals - he was in his 30s - he didn't place but he did okay - finished somewhere in the middle of the pack.

What have you got to lose, really?

Ellyn
01-07-2008, 12:58 PM
You wouldn't be the first late 20s-early 30s skater to compete at that level, so if you're up for the training challenge, why not?

CanAmSk8ter
01-07-2008, 01:34 PM
Elaine Zayak staged a comeback in 1994 and placed fourth at Nationals. She was 29 or 30 at the time, IIRC. I can't think of any reason why you shouldn't.

renatele
01-07-2008, 02:10 PM
Absolutely go for it! You yourself said that you feel like you need to get it out of your system - so who cares if some teenager does find you weird. You are not doing it for them.

Helen88
01-07-2008, 02:23 PM
As a teenager, I can tell you that I would not just not worry about your age, I would give you huge respect for getting back out there and not worrying about what others think. If you have the talent, or if you think you have the talent, go for it!

lovepairs
01-07-2008, 06:27 PM
Hi all,

I am turning 30 soon...yikes! And, I just started skating again about a year ago after a break of about 8 years. In the last year, I got all my doubles back, and am close to clean double axel, triple sal, toe, and loop. Once upon a time, I had all triples and competed at the Senior level but than a bad injury took me off the ice for a long time, and then university took over my life. I really love skating and am feeling better about it now than when I was younger. I finally found a great coach and really feel like I am getting better and better.

So, my dilemma is this: I want to try competing again at the Senior level. I feel like I need to get it out of my system. But, I'm feeling self-conscious about my age. I look like I'm 18 and in the best shape of my life right now. Having said that, though, I dread thinking how others will view me competing against teenagers. I don't expect to win Worlds or anything, but would love to just go for it and see what happens.

What do you guys think...should I go for it? Or am I too old and it's too weird?

Thanks for your help

Hi Tal,

Not weird at all. My pairs partner is 48 and I'm 50 and we are both working on Novice Moves. We'll take the Intermediate Pairs test again right after Adult Nationals and when we pass we become Master Pairs in the Adult Arena. However, life and challenges doen't exactly end there. So, we decided to try to pass Sr. Moves and then the Sr. Pairs test. It might take 20 more years, but we are going to try, basically, because there is nothing left to do...so why not try? Anyway, here's the thing--the minute we pass the Senior Pairs test, we are eligible to compete in the "real" Sectionals--there is no age limit! Probably will never happen, but we are certainly going to try! Just the idea alone is helping us push the envelope on our skating.

So, I say go for it!

mlee
01-07-2008, 08:19 PM
Go for it! Age is nothing but a number. There might be more really young seniors competiting these days but that doesn't me adult skaters shouldn't. I don't consider it weird. I have respect for you coming back and after university and landing these jumps.

phoenix
01-07-2008, 08:23 PM
Anyway, here's the thing--the minute we pass the Senior Pairs test, we are eligible to compete in the "real" Sectionals--there is no age limit! Probably will never happen, but we are certainly going to try! Just the idea alone is helping us push the envelope on our skating.

So, I say go for it!

Actually, unless the rules for pairs is different, there is no age limit starting at Novice. So once you have novice moves/pairs tested, you can go to regionals/sectionals.

Query
01-08-2008, 12:34 PM
Do you worry that people will say you have an unfair advantage? :)

talakap
01-12-2008, 02:14 AM
Wow, thanks guys. Your replies are very helpful and I feel much better. I'll definitely see how far I can get. Happy skating to everyone.

Skittl1321
01-12-2008, 09:02 AM
I believe that Angie Lien is at nationals this year and she's about 26. So if you can make it at 30- go for it!

techskater
01-12-2008, 09:16 AM
What about John Baldwin? He's in his 30's and nobody finds that weird. Kwan would have been 26 last year, Slutskaya was 27....What's a couple more years on that?

coskater64
01-12-2008, 06:16 PM
If you have watch regionals on icenetwork you will see that depending on your region you can do pretty well at the Sr level with 2 or 3 good clean triples and sometimes a clean fs with just good jumps through 2A. Then you want good footwork and spins, and you are off and running. I know in Colorado we have had skaters in their late 20's skating at the Sr level, it gets harder at sectionals but if you are a good balanced skater why not? If you were to skate as an adult you would do very well, we have had no clean triples in the ladies event yet, just as an FYI.

Whatever you decide good luck!!:D