View Full Version : Seal Show

Samskate
01-02-2008, 03:31 PM
What did everyone think of the Seal show? I thought the music was really good and one of the things I appreciated was the camera work. Not nearly as much time when you couldn't see the skater(s). For me, of course, it was special because I got to see Brian B. skate to "Don't Cry".:bow:

SynchroSk8r114
01-02-2008, 05:58 PM
Yeah, I definitely didn't care for some of the camera angles either, but the skating was nice and Seal was (surprisingly) entertaining. I enjoy shows of this nature because I like to see all the classic 90s skaters that I grew up watching and have had the opportunity to meet.

Unfortunately, the show was supposed to start at 4 p.m. where I live, but it didn't start until 40 minutes later because of the stupid Ice Bowl that was airing. The game went into overtime.

Samskate
01-02-2008, 07:02 PM
I agree with you that Seal was entertaining. I have to admit I wasn't very familiar with him, so didn't know for sure what to expect. He's actually kind of appealing to watch. And yes, the Ice Bowl was airing and cut the skating show short (as usual). Of course, my husband was happy to be watching the hockey, especially since the Pittsburgh Penguins were in the game. We live about 25 miles west of Pittsburgh. Overall, I though the Seal show was much better than some of the other ice shows this season.

I too enjoy seeing skaters from the past. Somehow I just can't warm up to many of the younger skaters, although there are a few I really like. I'm actually looking forward to Nationals just to see how everyone does. Thanks for your reply!

SynchroSk8r114
01-03-2008, 05:42 AM
And yes, the Ice Bowl was airing and cut the skating show short (as usual). Of course, my husband was happy to be watching the hockey, especially since the Pittsburgh Penguins were in the game. We live about 25 miles west of Pittsburgh.

That's how my dad was, particuarly when the Penguins won! LOL, we must live in the same vicinity; I'm only about 10-15 outside of Pittsburgh. Small world...

Alexa
01-03-2008, 07:19 AM
My stupid NBC affiliate did not show the ice skating on Christmas or New Year's. I was planning on watching both, only to find they decided to have reruns of talk shows on instead. Glad to hear the special was good for those that got to see it.

Samskate
01-03-2008, 09:40 AM
Syncro, yes, it really is a small world. You can't be too far from where I live. Are you also on the west side of Pittsburgh?

Alexa, that's a real bummer that you didn't get to see any of the shows on Christmas or New Year's. Sometimes you have to wonder about the people who make decisions. I really can't see the point in airing reruns of talk shows in place of new programming.:frus:

SynchroSk8r114
01-03-2008, 10:17 AM
[QUOTE=Samskate;349289]Syncro, yes, it really is a small world. You can't be too far from where I live. Are you also on the west side of Pittsburgh?[QUOTE]

Yes, right out by Pgh International.

Alexa
01-03-2008, 11:59 AM
Syncro, yes, it really is a small world. You can't be too far from where I live. Are you also on the west side of Pittsburgh?

Alexa, that's a real bummer that you didn't get to see any of the shows on Christmas or New Year's. Sometimes you have to wonder about the people who make decisions. I really can't see the point in airing reruns of talk shows in place of new programming.:frus:

Especially when during the holidays there is so much football, hockey, etc -- it would be nice to have skating on as a little variety for those that can only watch so much football. And I have extreme doubts that people are clamoring to watch reruns of Dr. Phil and Oprah on a holiday.

Samskate
01-04-2008, 04:03 PM
Alexa, agreed!

Syncro, I'm close to WV border near Weirton. Not far at all!:)

doubletoe
01-04-2008, 06:18 PM
Due to hockey going overtime, they cut out the middle of the Seal show where I was. That meant some skaters were cut out entirely, such as Amber Corwin. I was bummed because I had really been looking forward to seeing her in the public eye again. Of course they still kept all of the commercials, so the commercial-to-show ratio was ridiculous. . .
As for the skating itself, I thought it was poor editing when they showed Brian Boitano abruptly stopping and going to sit down during "Don't Cry". Instead, they should have cut to Seal just before that and kept the camera on Seal until Brian had started skating again. The TV viewing audience would have been none the wiser.