View Full Version : Over the boot tights or not

littlekateskate
01-01-2008, 08:06 PM
Just curious wether people prefered for competition OVer the boot tights or to show off there white skates?

And if you have reason behind this..

Kim to the Max
01-01-2008, 09:13 PM
My coaches when I was younger made us polish our skates and show them off...no over the boot or footless tights...

However, now, I will probably end up wearing over the boot tights since I have been wearing bunga pads because I have no calluses left :( and that would look oh so pretty sticking out of my boots :)

Clarice
01-01-2008, 09:23 PM
I wear over-the-boot tights most of the time. I like the extended line, particularly if I'm wearing a dress with a longer skirt. If I'm working at the competition, I like not having to worry about finding time to polish my skates! The only look I don't like is footless tights pulled over the top of the boots - I'd rather see either the entire white skate, or cover the whole thing.

TreSk8sAZ
01-01-2008, 09:57 PM
I'm required to wear OTB for competitions. Some of the gouges from jumping I can't polish out, and my coaches prefer the look of the OTB especially for dance events. Plus, I refuse to wash the laces and polish the boots -- I never have time!

SynchroSk8r114
01-02-2008, 08:28 AM
Neither. I don't like the look of OTB tights, personally.

I actually have beige custom lightweight Harlicks, and I love showing those babies off! ;)

icedancer2
01-02-2008, 02:17 PM
I don't like the look of OTB tights AT ALL and I don't they give anyone an "extended line" - I think they make the foot look "clubby" or as someone on another board said, "Hooves" - You really can't see the toe-point at all in them or if there is no toe point then it is really obvious.

Just my humble (albeit very strong) opinon. I like suntan tights, white skates (although beige are good if you are doing synchro) - I don't mind the footless tights over th tops of boots.

tidesong
01-02-2008, 08:03 PM
I don't mind the look of OTB tights, pull over top or inside... I think they all look fine to me... personally I like wearing OTB tights, or footless which I personally prefer to pull under the boots, or if I can ever find one, a transition tight, because I like to go barefoot at home without having to take off my whole tights.

ibreakhearts66
01-03-2008, 02:51 AM
i do wear otb tights for competition, but i'm not actually a huge fan of how they look. my favorite look is really probably stirrup. i just use one set of the hooks and wear them like stirrup tights. it think it is probably most flattering for me. i also like the look of pants pulled down over the heel of the boot. i know a lot of people who do the same thing with their OTB tights, but that's never looked quite right for me

my biggest problem with OTB tights it the way it makes my legs look. i have athletic thighs. i think they are massive, but, looking at it from a non-anorexic mind, i realize they are muscular but slim. however, i have really, really skinny calves. i just look demented with OTB tights bc it goes from normal size thighs to slim calves to giant boots lol.

flo
01-08-2008, 11:57 AM
I don't like the look of over the boot tights at all. I prefer seeing the skates.

Summerkid710
01-08-2008, 12:55 PM
I'm paranoid about my laces getting caught so I prefer over the boot to cover them up.

sk8tmum
01-08-2008, 10:20 PM
My daughter's coaches are adamant about no OTB tights, and, also, skate maintenance (washing laces, etc). Frankly, I agree ... the first time I saw them on a skater I thought about how unattractive they were, particularly because they always seem to be very heavy material, not the lightweight ones that my kid wears in competition (another coach directive re: the lightweight tights for competition). Plus, I've seen a few kids catch their blades on the tight material and fall badly, which worries me the same way that the poster worried about the blade catching on the laces. But, like dresses, everyone has their own ideas on what does and doesn't look good - so to each their own.

My son's coaches would just be worried if they saw him wearing any type of tights, OTB or not.:!:

Scarlett
01-09-2008, 05:32 AM
Aesthetically, I prefer the look of white skates and tights. However, the rather infrequent times that I have had to actually wear a skating dress for a competition/test I have worn OTB tights because I refuse to polish my skates.

herniated
01-09-2008, 12:41 PM
I usually wear just the white skates for competition. When I see pictures of myself it always looks best with just the white skates but when I practice and look in the mirror... I think OTB or pulled over the heel looks great!! But not in pics!! Weird

skatergee01
01-20-2008, 07:35 AM
I prefer seeing the skates. White skates are pretty and clean. Why not show them off?

littlekateskate
01-20-2008, 07:54 AM
You know, I was looking at my dd when she wore the OBT yesterday and remember she is only 4. But it was cute. She doesnt have big leggs of course. But they didnt look clunky at the bottoms. No hooves.

So maybe it does make a huge difference if you have little leggs. But it also for that age gave her a more "mature/proffessional" look i guess.

And i am suprised i never see any other little bitty ones wearing them. I found they are great for doubling up and keeping warm :)

Scarlett
01-20-2008, 08:18 AM
This is slightly OT but another great thing for just doubling up/keeping warm is the sweater knit tights by Mondor. You might want to give those a try if your little one likes wearing dresses/skirts.

Skittl1321
01-20-2008, 10:31 AM
My preference is footless tights pulled over the hooks so I can secure my laces. My coach really hates that and says it ruins the line so he required that I wore OTB tights for my tests (I haven't competed). As long as the heel is not covered I think it looks nice. I have really small feet (I bought my newest skates used from a 7 year old)- so I really don't think it makes my feet look like hooves!

I just don't care for them because they are so expensive!

Muskoka Skater
01-24-2008, 08:21 PM
My skates are all scraped so I perfer over the boot tights!!