View Full Version : Skates on a Plane

Kevin Callahan
10-27-2007, 01:34 PM
Hey, all,

It's been a while since I have posted (but I am still skating). And I have a very serious question.

I am moving to Korea in three weeks, and I'll be living in Seoul, which definitely has some ice (especially this time of year), but having never traveled by plane before to anywhere I was skating, I do not know how to go about taking very sharp objects through security.

For those of you who do this on a regular basis, what do I do?

SynchroSk8r114
10-27-2007, 02:04 PM
I only did this once. We were flying to Eastern Sectionals for synchro, so we packed out skates in our skating bags, which we checked to go into the cargo area of the plane (or whatever it's called where all the luggage goes).

We packed our clothes around the skates to pad them a bit from the undoubtedly rough treatment luggage gets sometimes and made sure that we put our hard guards on the blades to protect them too, just incase they were to accidently poke through the bag. Yes, that's not always great for the blades, but it was only for a few hours, and once we landed, we replaced the hard guards with soakers.

Schmeck
10-27-2007, 02:21 PM
Skate blades have to be in your checked luggage in the US. You can either pack your skates, or remove the blades and pack just them.

In Europe, you also cannot take your skates onto the plane as carry-on. The Haydenettes lost their skates a few trips ago, didn't they? It was for an overseas competition, and the weather was bad, they got separated from their checked luggage, which included their skates, and I'm not sure when they got their skates back!

Isk8NYC
10-27-2007, 02:26 PM
<snip>having never traveled by plane before to anywhere I was skating, I do not know how to go about taking very sharp objects through security.Long time, no see Kevin! Good luck in Korea.

Last few times I traveled with my skates by plane, I checked my skate bag. Put some WD-40 on the blades, then put on the hard guards, using masking tape around the blades+guards to keep them from coming loose.

I also put a business card inside each skate with my cell phone number on it. Make sure your DESTINATION address and contact info is inside and outside the bag, and take a picture of the bag with your cellphone camera, if you can. (A picture of the bag insides is good, too.)

TreSk8sAZ
10-27-2007, 05:34 PM
Skate blades have to be in your checked luggage in the US. You can either pack your skates, or remove the blades and pack just them.

Depends on the airport, actually. I've had no problems carrying my skates on to my last 5 competitions I've flown to.

Schmeck
10-28-2007, 06:29 PM
Depends on the airport, actually. I've had no problems carrying my skates on to my last 5 competitions I've flown to.

Then those airports (if in the US) are in violation of the TSA's listings:

http://www.tsa.dhs.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1038.shtm

Ice skates are listed as having to be in checked baggage.

Isk8NYC
10-28-2007, 07:54 PM
I have nothing else to add, other than I love the title of this thread.
Much better than "Snakes on a Plane." LOL

Binky
10-28-2007, 09:01 PM
I have nothing else to add, other than I love the title of this thread.
Much better than "Snakes on a Plane." LOL

I was just gonna say the same thing! LOL "I want these %@$! skates off my *$@_!#$$ plane!" :lol: