View Full Version : Moves/jumps that you don't see anymore

FallDownGoBoom
10-10-2007, 05:29 PM
For the past few days I've been checking out oldish (20+ years) snippets of competitions and I noticed many moves and jumps that seemingly have been retired.

It seems that we no longer have the split jump -- I believe that's what it's called. Delayed jumps -- am I describing that correctly? -- also have vanished, and that's a shame because they're really something to behold. Peggy Fleming, at the 1968 Olympics, appeared absolutely suspended during one of these.

I seem to recall that two or three years ago, at nationals and worlds and maybe the Olympics, "grab-skate" was a big trend. It made me nuts and it seemed to make Dick Button crankier than usual. On that we agreed: I don't want to see your hands and your blades entwined, OK? You're scaring me with that. I'm hoping that maneuver shuffles off.

What else?

Isk8NYC
10-10-2007, 05:39 PM
Anything that was held for an extended time is rarely seen today in competitions. That includes wall-to-wall spirals, full-circle inside/outside spread eagles, and the delayed jumps. (My personal fav.)

daisies
10-10-2007, 05:45 PM
Split jumps, stag jumps, double-stag jumps, walleys ... all the jumps that are worth a big fat *zero* under IJS, despite the fact that they are hard to do well and beautiful to watch!

(But I'm not bitter or anything.... ;))

Another cool -- and really hard -- jump is the split-flip. Paul Wylie used to do it all the time. Under IJS, it would only be called as a single flip and be worth 0.5!

liz_on_ice
10-10-2007, 05:58 PM
Illusion spins are one of my favs to watch. It shows up sometimes in exhibition.

skateskate
10-10-2007, 07:00 PM
illusions :( I've finally perfected mine only to find out i dont get a feature for it under the new judging.

Thin-Ice
10-11-2007, 03:53 AM
One-foot axels (LOVED to watch Jill Trenary do these!), delayed axels, toe walleys (which count the same as a toe loop, but I think are much harder) and PRETTY spins!

Hey Daisies -- we still see a few walleys -- but only in exhibitions or artistic events at AN!

kayskate
10-11-2007, 06:55 AM
A lot of this stuff you will see in exhibitions. Some of the one rev jumps and positional jumps (stags, etc) show up in footwork segments. There are still plenty of splits out there, but they seem to be used as part of a powerful footwork sequence rather than as individual elements. Skaters need to pack programs w all the triples and req'd spins. The other stuff becomes "in betweens".

Kay

Morgail
10-11-2007, 10:10 AM
I actually saw quite a few split jumps and a couple of walleys last weekend at Regionals. The kids at my rink seem to be obsessed with split jumps too - they all seem to have one in their programs.

I miss illusions - those are so cool. I saw one girl do one at Regionals & it made me happy:) I will learn one some day. I also miss long-held classic spirals and laybacks done by themselves.
Does anyone do corkscrew spins anymore? The forward spin where you bend your spinning knee and place your bent free leg behind it? Those were a big deal when I was kid - everyone did one.

xofivebyfive
10-11-2007, 10:24 AM
The forward spin where you bend your spinning knee and place your bent free leg behind it? Those were a big deal when I was kid - everyone did one.
OH I DO THOSE!! haha. And I love split jumps, though mine aren't really.. splitty.

Skittl1321
10-11-2007, 01:08 PM
Does anyone do corkscrew spins anymore? The forward spin where you bend your spinning knee and place your bent free leg behind it? Those were a big deal when I was kid - everyone did one.

My coach makes all of his skaters learn these.

Not my favorite- I hate bending!

daisies
10-11-2007, 03:11 PM
Hey Daisies -- we still see a few walleys -- but only in exhibitions or artistic events at AN!

Hahaha ... TRUE!!! Keep the walley flame alive!

Skate@Delaware
10-20-2007, 11:44 AM
One of the girls at my rink was preparing a video for testing...and she did a one-foot axel AND an inside axel!!! 8O

My coach is teaching me the walley....it's much better than my toe-loop (which sometimes isn't saying much as my toe-loop generally tanks).

and it seems that all the young girls at my rink (at least those that can) do either a stag or split jump in our shows.

I do hope they come back for the elite skaters, these (as well as some of the others) are beautiful elements and fun to watch-provided they are done correctly!