View Full Version : favorite skating dvds

littlerain
08-23-2007, 10:13 PM
I'm thinking about ordering the dvds from the last two winter olympics, and I'm curious ... do you guys have any favorite skating dvds you like to watch?

montanarose
08-23-2007, 10:26 PM
My all-time favorite is "Reflections On Ice: A Century Of Ladies' Figure Skating." It was an HBO special a few years back and has great footage of old-time skating -- women dressed in long skirts skating figures on ponds and long-ago champions such as Madge Syers, Cecilia Colledge (who's a real hoot), Fritzi Burger and Barbara Ann Rolles (with apologies for my spelling on all). Quite a lot of Sonia Henie, then on to Tenley Albright, Carol Heiss, Peggy Fleming and Dorothy Hamill. IIRC, the most recent skater they feature is Kristi Yamaguchi. There's also some heartbreaking film -- not nearly enough -- of Laurence Owen.

It's beautifully produced and has a great voiceover narration by, I think, Sharon Gless. Especially if you have an appreciation for figures, you'll like this a lot.

montanarose

Muskoka Skater
08-28-2007, 07:17 AM
I have the 2002 Winter Olympics figure skating movie. It doesn't show everybody but I really like to watch it. I even put some of the moves from the DVD into my program.