View Full Version : What's a "waxel"?

*JennaD*
08-04-2007, 09:48 PM
I was just wondering what a waxel is???

I've seen the term used a lot...but I can't figure out what it means...besides the fact that it has to do with an axel! lol

Thanks!

jazzpants
08-04-2007, 09:51 PM
According to Wikipedia...

When the skater makes a mistake in the timing of the jump such that the blade does not grip at all and he or she slips completely off the edge, the result is what is called a waxel, often resulting in a fall. (I presume it meant the FO takeoff edge...)

ibreakhearts66
08-04-2007, 10:23 PM
at least in my mind, a waxel is just any crazy failed axel. arms flying in the air, popped, just crazy, out of control, wacky, axel. (comes from wacky+axel, as far as I know)

kander
08-04-2007, 10:26 PM
A waxel is an axel attempt where the skater usually takes off of the heel of the blade and is out of control in the air. It feels like you're going to land on your head.

doubletoe
08-04-2007, 11:22 PM
Any axel attempt where the skater spazzes out in the air and doesn't properly get into the backspin position before landing. I just did one yesterday and now I have the worst bruise I've had for several years! :cry:

TimDavidSkate
08-05-2007, 12:02 AM
Its this 8O the jump set up starts at 00:38 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKyHW87FDqk)

*JennaD*
08-05-2007, 09:41 AM
oooooooh ok!!!
thanks guys!!:)

SynchroSk8r114
08-05-2007, 03:32 PM
Its this 8O the jump set up starts at 00:38 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKyHW87FDqk)

Wow! Is that frightful to watch! 8O

badaxel
08-07-2007, 08:06 PM
I wish I had heard of the Waxel when I joined this forum- it sounds way better than "Badaxel"!

doubletoe
08-07-2007, 09:11 PM
I wish I had heard of the Waxel when I joined this forum- it sounds way better than "Badaxel"!

Change your username to Waxel! We'll know who you are! :D

FrankR
08-08-2007, 09:13 AM
Wow! Is that frightful to watch! 8O

It is frightful to watch. It's even more frightful to be in one of those. 8O A few years ago I was going for an axel, I waxeled, and didn't even land on my feet. I landed on my back with enough force and momentum that I rolled backwards and ended up on my hands and knees. Fortunately, I managed to tuck my head in to my chest as I hit and I landed in a position that was conducive to a roll. Otherwise I could have hit my head really hard or knocked the wind out of myself.

I'll still waxel occasionally and every time it happens my heart starts pounding. Thankfully, the waxels are much more rare for me now than they were a few years ago.

badaxel
08-08-2007, 05:59 PM
Change your username to Waxel! We'll know who you are! :D

I was seriously considering it! I don't know, though. Then, when I meetup with people from the forum, I'll have to say, "Hi, I'm Waxel!" :lol:

jazzpants
08-08-2007, 06:25 PM
You do NOT have a waxel... or even a badaxel!!! And don't tell me that I've never seen you do a good axel. We got witnesses here from last Christmas at Aviator, you know!!! ;) :twisted: :lol: :P

badaxel
08-09-2007, 09:38 PM
You do NOT have a waxel... or even a badaxel!!! And don't tell me that I've never seen you do a good axel. We got witnesses here from last Christmas at Aviator, you know!!! ;) :twisted: :lol: :P

Yes, but my many bruises beg to differ! As do my many last and almost-last place finishes from last year! Oh well, moving on to the double salchow...