View Full Version : Non figure skater requires figure skating conversation!!!

lyverbird
06-24-2007, 06:51 PM
Let me level with you guys, I'm a 34 year old from Dublin in Ireland who has no outlet for the deep love she has for figure skating other that to see the major championships every year on TV. Imagine my horror when this coverage was even withdrawn for over four years!!!

I used to be able to skate a little as a kid but only in crowded ice rinks, most of which have closed down now, but the nature of such rinks was not exactly conducive to learning skating skills as such. Figure skating is not a hugely popular sport in Ireland. I'm not imagining many of my friends would be able to appreciate the huge achievement of a woman doing a triple axel in major competitions etc.

Hoping to get to Ottawa next Feb to skate the canal! Would love to be able to discuss the likes of favourite routines with those who don't look down on non skaters but accept that even they can have a good level of interest and knowledge through keen viewing over the years, back to being able to name every champion since the inception of Winter Olympic games and distinguishing the technicalities of all the jumps and spins. I sure hope I'm in the right place to meet the friendly folk I'd like to talk to about skating because there would seem to be nobody else in my country in which to indulge in such conversations with.

Love,
lyverbird

Oracle
06-25-2007, 12:21 PM
Welcome to the board! I think you'll find that the majority of posters are non skaters or recreational skaters. We're all ages, backgrounds, fans of different skaters. Just join in any discussion that interests you & be polite.

littlekateskate
06-26-2007, 07:50 AM
Yes jump right in. We welcome you!!!
I am just a skatin parent of a 3 year old lol so its not like i have a whole lot of reason to be here. But everyone is pretty awesome.

Our rink has a girl from Ireland who trains here in Florida. She is the sweetest thing!! :)

Madame Saccoche
06-27-2007, 07:16 PM
Try to connect with the adult skaters at the Minto Skating club in Ottawa, as well as their own sessions they seem to have lots of social events too.