View Full Version : New Coach for Johnny Weir

Tennisany1
06-15-2007, 05:13 PM
I believe this was first announced on the USFA website, but this link is in Johnny's own words. I have never been a hugh fan, but he is growing on me. A very classy way to handle a coaching change!

http://www.kataniye.com/johnny_weir/news.htm

Lark
06-15-2007, 08:21 PM
I used to adore Johnny, but now I am thinking he is a wuss. He has no gumption, no attack!

I hope Zmievskaya can really kick his butt. You can only put so much on a coach.

Who else has Zmievskaya coached recently?

NoVa Sk8r
06-15-2007, 10:42 PM
She used to coach Takeshi Honda (before he worked with Doug Leigh) and Brad Santer (Australia).

She currently coaches Elene Gedevanishvili (Georgia Republic) and Tmar Katz (Israel), who sometimes trains in Northern Virginia.

Lark
06-16-2007, 09:05 AM
She used to coach Takeshi Honda (before he worked with Doug Leigh) and Brad Santer (Australia).

She currently coaches Elene Gedevanishvili (Georgia Republic) and Tmar Katz (Israel), who sometimes trains in Northern Virginia.

You know, I seriously thought that Takeshi Honda had the potential to be one of the greatest Mens skaters ever. I thought that he and Sandhu were the only Men alive who could have taken out Yags and Plushy, if they had the proper training and mindset.

Now, if Zmievskaya could not elevate a potentially fantastic skater like Honda to greatness, what is she going to be able to do with someone with less technical ability, who is prone to giving up when the challenges get too difficult, like Weir?

NoVa Sk8r
06-16-2007, 02:31 PM
Who knows what the results will be?

But since JWe thinks he is Russian, I guess seeking out a Russian coach does not seem like such a stretch. ;)
I like that his "break up" with Ms. Hill was amicable (as we are told) and that he explains, cogently and convincingly, why he thought a change was necessary.

It sort of reminds me of Cohen's coach-shopping in the past few years (Nicks, Tarasova, Wagner, then Nicks again). She felt that changes were needed or that she wasn't progressing, so she needed to move on. (Of course, it always seemed to me that Wagner dumped her!)

And then Terry Gannon and Dick Button spoke of this during the short program at 2005 U.S. Nats.
Gannon: "At some point, an athlete has got to look in the mirror, not at their coach, to find the real source of what is going on."
Button: "No matter how great the coach is, unless the skater wants it, lusts it, needs it, their heart is into it, it won't happen."

So we'll have to wait and see if Johnny can get his act together. I do think that not only losing his national title, but falling to third, has been a huge wake-up call.

UDsk8coach
06-17-2007, 05:36 PM
Who knows what the results will be?

But since JWe thinks he is Russian, I guess seeking out a Russian coach does not seem like such a stretch. ;)
I like that his "break up" with Ms. Hill was amicable (as we are told) and that he explains, cogently and convincingly, why he thought a change was necessary.

It sort of reminds me of Cohen's coach-shopping in the past few years (Nicks, Tarasova, Wagner, then Nicks again). She felt that changes were needed or that she wasn't progressing, so she needed to move on. (Of course, it always seemed to me that Wagner dumped her!)

And then Terry Gannon and Dick Button spoke of this during the short program at 2005 U.S. Nats.
Gannon: "At some point, an athlete has got to look in the mirror, not at their coach, to find the real source of what is going on."
Button: "No matter how great the coach is, unless the skater wants it, lusts it, needs it, their heart is into it, it won't happen."

So we'll have to wait and see if Johnny can get his act together. I do think that not only losing his national title, but falling to third, has been a huge wake-up call.

I totally agree! Prill is the *NICEST* woman alive, and I can understand how close they are, but to me, that would be a benefit. I want my coach to know me inside and out and be able to look at me and know what's going through my head. I didnt see her as a "mother" to him, but more like a best friend... I guess I was wrong...

I wish him luck in whatever it is he does... Maybe he'll come back to Prill one day :??