View Full Version : Initial U.S. JGP assignments (& some Sr. GP hints)

Sylvia
05-22-2007, 07:36 PM
The initial U.S. assignments for the first four JGPs have been published on the USFSA site (http://www.usfigureskating.org/) and on the 2007-08 International Assignments page (http://www.usfigureskating.org/Athletes.asp?id=216).

[Note: I’ve included JGP Final (JGPF), U.S. Nationals (S=sr., J=jr., N=novice) and/or Jr. Worlds (JW) placements from 2006-07 in parentheses.]

Lake Placid, New York (Aug. 30-Sept. 2)
Tommy Steenberg (JGPF-6, S-14), Austin Kanallakan (JGPF-8, J-3), Armin Mahbanoozadeh (N-1);
Mirai Nagasu (J-1, JW-2), Alexe Gilles (J-5), Angela Maxwell (N-1);
Jessica Rose Paetsch/Jon Nuss (JGPF-3, J-3), Bianca Butler/Joseph Jacobsen (J-2), Meg Byrne/Nate Bartholomay (J-6);
Maddison Hubbell/Keiffer Hubbell (JGPF-1, J-2, JW-6), Pilar Bosley/John Corona (J-6), Sara Bailey/Kyle Herring (N-2).

Miercurea Ciuc, Romania (Sept. 6-9)
Eliot Halverson (J-1, JW-10), Adam Rippon (J-6);
Melissa Bulanhagui (JGPF-4, S-12), Chrissy Hughes (J-6);
Shannon Wingle/Ryan Devereaux (J-5), TBD.

Vienna, Austria (Sept. 13-16)
Rachael Flatt (S-5), Kristine Musademba (N-2);
Brandon Mroz (JGPF-2, J-2, JW-4), Richard Dornbush (J-8);
Emily Samuelson/Evan Bates (JGPF-2, J-1, JW-wd), TBD.

Tallinn, Estonia (Sept. 20-23)
Curran Oi (JGPF-5, J-4), Douglas Razzano (J-5);
Juliana Cannarozzo (JGPF-7, S-7), Blake Rosenthal (J-4);
Kaela Pflumm/Christopher Pottenger (JGPF-5, J-4), Chelsi Guillen/Danny Curzon (J-8), Shantel Jordan/Steven Elefante (S-15);
Piper Gilles/Timothy McKernan (J-4), TBD.

Added to the RESERVE team envelope: Rippon, Bosley/Corona, Byrne/Bartholomay, Guillen/Curzon, Jordan/Elefante.

This will be the first JGP experience for: Flatt (well, technically her second after she had to withdraw from the Mexico City JGP last year), Nagasu, A. Gilles, C. Hughes, Maxwell, Musademba, Dornbush, Mahbanoozadeh, Byrne/Bartholomay, Guillen/Curzon, Jordan/Elefante, and Bailey/Herring. :)

So, this means that Caroline Zhang and Ashley Wagner will be included in the Senior Grand Prix selection draw on June 5th, along with Stephen Carriere and Megan Oster, etc.

Debbie S
05-22-2007, 08:36 PM
I'm surprised that Nagasu wouldn't be getting the same type of assignments (junior vs senior) as Zhang and Wagner. I realize Zhang won the JGPF and Junior Worlds last year, so I guess it makes sense for her to compete on the Senior GP, but Nagasu beat Wagner at both Nats and JW - why would Wagner be on the Senior GP and not Nagasu? I guess it's a world ranking issue, since Nagasu only did 1 int'l last year, although 2nd place at JW is nothing to sneeze at.

Of course, this is only a partial list, so maybe Wagner will be assigned to the later JGPs.

I'm looking forward to see who will be assigned to Skate America, since I'm going. :)

Sylvia
05-23-2007, 05:30 PM
I'm surprised that Nagasu wouldn't be getting the same type of assignments (junior vs senior) as Zhang and Wagner. I realize Zhang won the JGPF and Junior Worlds last year, so I guess it makes sense for her to compete on the Senior GP, but Nagasu beat Wagner at both Nats and JW - why would Wagner be on the Senior GP and not Nagasu?
Ashley Wagner had an excellent first junior international season in 2006-07 and medalled in all 4 of her competitions. I personally think it makes sense for Mirai Nagasu to make her debut on the Junior Grand Prix this fall, build on the momentum from her Junior Worlds silver medal, and hopefully have the same kind of success on the JGP that Caroline Zhang, Ashley Wagner and several others had. Junior Worlds was Nagasu's first-ever international competition, and both she and Caroline Zhang won't be old enough for ISU Senior Championships (Four Continents and Worlds) until the 2008-09 season.

I guess it's a world ranking issue, since Nagasu only did 1 int'l last year, although 2nd place at JW is nothing to sneeze at.
Actually, it's not a world ranking issue. According to the Senior Grand Prix selection criteria, Mirai Nagasu is guaranteed an invite to one Senior Grand Prix event this fall due to her medalling at '07 Junior Worlds. This also applies to all the Junior Grand Prix Finalist medalists from this past season, such as Brandon Mroz and the dance teams of Madison & Keiffer Hubbell and Emily Samuelson/Evan Bates. However, Mroz and both dance teams have declined this opportunity in order to return to the Junior Grand Prix this fall (only pairs are allowed to compete in both the Jr. and Sr. Grand Prix in the same season). I assume that Nagasu was given the same choice and has decided that she would rather compete in the JGP this fall. :)