View Full Version : Getting to Know You ...

Isk8NYC
05-21-2007, 10:13 AM
We haven't done an introduction thread in a while, so here goes:

I have a poll above, just to tally our constituents -- I think our demographics have shifted somewhat in the last few years.
There's a quick-and-dirty survey below -- step right up and tell who you are and why you're here!

I had a hard time finding this thread, I don't know why. Just adding a search phrase to make it easier: gettingtoknowyouthread

Isk8NYC
05-21-2007, 10:19 AM
Here's the Introductory Questionnaire:

Age Group ? Pre-Teen, Teens, Twenties, Thirties, etc. "Older than Dirt" is acceptable. LOL

What region are you from -- not too specific, please?

If you're a fan, do you attend live skating events or just watch TV/Video?

If you skate, what boots-and-blades do you use?

If you skate, what's your best/fav element?

If you're a coach, do you teach groups or privates?

Isk8NYC
05-21-2007, 10:23 AM
Age Group ? The Fabulous Forties

What region are you from -- not too specific, please? Lifelong New York, NY'er (Oh so nice, they named it twice!)

If you're a fan, do you attend live skating events or just watch TV/Video? I record and watch events three weeks later on TV. :oops:

If you skate, what boots-and-blades do you use? Klingbeil Customs with JW Gold Seals

If you skate, what's your best/fav element? I have wicked sit spins.

If you're a coach, do you teach groups or privates? I teach groups at two different rinks, and have about 12 private students.

Clarice
05-21-2007, 12:19 PM
Age Group ? Getting very close to 50, and gonna be a grandma in the fall!

What region are you from -- Midwest

If you're a fan, do you attend live skating events or just watch TV/Video? Went to US Nationals in St. Louis and go to shows when they come to town, otherwise rely on TV.

If you skate, what boots-and-blades do you use? Jackson Elite Supreme boots with Ultima Freestyle blades.

If you skate, what's your best/fav element? I can do a pretty decent Bauer.

If you're a coach, do you teach groups or privates? Basic Skills group classes only.

Sessy
05-21-2007, 12:44 PM
Early twenties,
northwestern Europe,
I attend live skating events if they're not too far away and not expensive and I can get somebody else to go with me so I don't feel like "what am I doing here?",
I'm using risport etoile with coronation ace,
I like jumping, and edges, I can't pick. I only dislike the spins.

thumbyskates
05-21-2007, 01:30 PM
Age Group ? Early Twenties

What region are you from -- not too specific, please? Vancouver, Canada

If you're a fan, do you attend live skating events or just watch TV/Video? I watch everything on television, and go to live events here and there

If you skate, what boots-and-blades do you use? Jacksons...and I'm getting new blades in the fall!

If you skate, what's your best/fav element? I'm addicted to synchro really, so anything to do with synchro, I'll take.

If you're a coach, do you teach groups or privates? I coach private lessons for kids aged 9 to 16, right now, and in the winter season teach Canskate.

SynchroSk8r114
05-21-2007, 02:38 PM

Age Group? Twenties

What region are you from -- not too specific, please? Pennsylvania

If you skate, what boots-and-blades do you use? Custom lightweight Harlick's, which I love, love, love! They feel like slippers with blades on them, hahaha! Blades are Cornation Comet.

If you skate, what's your best/fav element? I love ina bauers, hydroblading, and I have a very high flip and very low sit spin. I also enjoy learning challenging footwork...

If you're a coach, do you teach groups or privates? I teach both, but I enjoy and teach private lessons more. My group classes are during Learn to Skate classes (ISI); my private lessons are USFS-based. I especially enjoy teaching MIF. I have been coaching about 6 years and have taught skaters from age 3 - mid-twenties.

Oh, and I also skate synchro, which I love!

TreSk8sAZ
05-21-2007, 02:54 PM
Age Group ? Twenties

What region are you from -- not too specific, please? Arizona

If you're a fan, do you attend live skating events or just watch TV/Video? Both, though most competitions I watch live are the kids around here! Plus COI and SOI when they're around

If you skate, what boots-and-blades do you use? Klingbiel with MK Visions

If you skate, what's your best/fav element? Footwork! The harder the better! Best element is probably my lutz

If you're a coach, do you teach groups or privates? Assistant coach group, take over privates for one coach when she's not there

the old gurl
05-21-2007, 03:46 PM
Age Group ? "Older than Dirt"

What region are you from -- not too specific, please? Alberta, Canada

If you're a fan, do you attend live skating events or just watch TV/Video? I attend when I can. I've been to several Skate Canada's with 'net friends when they're not too expensive to get to.

If you skate, what boots-and-blades do you use? I have Gam boots and blades -- can't remember the models right now.

If you skate, what's your best/fav element? I'm still a neophyte -- the best part of my skating is my sense of timing for dances. ;)

If you're a coach, do you teach groups or privates? Don't coach.

JazzySkate
05-21-2007, 09:10 PM

What region are you from -- Lived in NYC, now NJ

Watch and sometimes tape

If you skate, what boots-and-blades do you use? - Harlicks/Coronation Ace

If you skate, what's your best/fav element? - Back Spirals, Back Outside Pivot, Outside/Inside Spread Eagles.

If you're a coach, do you teach groups or privates? LTS Groups for now.

Emberchyld
05-21-2007, 09:20 PM
Age Group ? *singing* "I'm in my twenties going on my thirties... la la la la la la!!!!!"

What region are you from -- not too specific, please? New Jersey-- I split my time between the Philly area (where I grew up and which I love) and the New York area (where my job is...), so in the span of one week, I get to skate ALL over the state!

If you're a fan, do you attend live skating events or just watch TV/Video? TV.

If you skate, what boots-and-blades do you use? Jackson Freestyles with Ultima Mark IV blades

If you skate, what's your best/fav element? Spirals... but I just love the feeling of slaloming across the ice, as well-- no stress, just fun!

Nicki
05-22-2007, 01:29 AM

Region: Pacific Northwest

Fan:I watch skating on t.v./tivo. I have been to COI once, and am hoping to go to the Vancouver Olympics in 2010.

If You Skate:I don't skate, but I thoroughly enjoy reading about everyone's progress in the weekly practice threads,

sue123
05-22-2007, 09:17 AM
Age Group ? Twenties

What region are you from -- not too specific, please? New York (is that a region?)

If you're a fan, do you attend live skating events or just watch TV/Video? Every so often I might go to one of those skating shows like Stars on Ice, never been to a skating comp

If you skate, what boots-and-blades do you use? Riedell (can't remember the model :?? ) and Coronation Ace blades

If you skate, what's your best/fav element? Best element is probably.... I'm not sure. But I love doing sit spins. I think because I feel that centripital force or something, I dunno, but I love the feeling of them, they always make me smile.

If you're a coach, do you teach groups or privates? don't coach

mintypoppet
05-22-2007, 09:58 AM
Age Group ? Twenties

What region are you from? UK

If you skate, what boots-and-blades do you use? GAM 400 + MK Pros

If you skate, what's your best/fav element? There's nothing I do particularly well compared to the rest of my elements. However, my favourite is loop... this week :lol:

jazzpants
05-22-2007, 07:05 PM
Age Group ? Late thirties, soon to be "older than dirt..." (assuming 40's is considered to be "older than dirt.") :roll:

What region are you from -- not too specific, please? The "Governator" state

If you're a fan, do you attend live skating events or just watch TV/Video? Watch TV

If you skate, what boots-and-blades do you use? Custom purple Harlicks and MK Pro blades

If you skate, what's your best/fav element? One foot forward spin (not that it's GREAT, but it's pretty good FOR ME!!!) :twisted:

If you're a coach, do you teach groups or privates? N/A

skating_babe11
05-22-2007, 08:17 PM
Age Group ? 16 almost 17!

What region are you from -- Western Canada

If you're a fan, do you attend live skating events or just watch TV/Video?I watch on Tv and just recentley seen my first live event - Worlds in Calgary!

If you skate, what boots-and-blades do you use?Graf Edmonton Special with Graf Platinum Blades

If you skate, what's your best/fav element?My best element would have to be loop and Camel spin and my favorite would be the axel!

If you're a coach, do you teach groups or privates?I am a program assistant for canskate and occasional help with the star skate program at my club.

Debbie S
05-22-2007, 08:28 PM
Age Group ? Thirties

What region are you from -- not too specific, please? Mid-Atlantic, USA

If you're a fan, do you attend live skating events or just watch TV/Video? Watch TV, and occasionally live events - '01, '02, and '06 Nats, '03 Worlds, '05 Skate America and will be attending '07 SA

If you skate, what boots-and-blades do you use? Custom Klingbeil boots and MK Professional blades

If you skate, what's your best/fav element? Right now, my best jump is the salchow, best spin is probably the forward sit....and I like doing spirals :)

momsk8er
05-22-2007, 08:35 PM
Hi, I'm new to the group:

Age Group ? 50s

What region are you from?
Washington DC area

Mostly watch on TV, attended SkateAmerica last year. Go to local competitions to watch my daughter.

Riedel bronze stars and MK professional blades

Spins; trying to get up from getting all the way down on my sit spin.

skatergal
05-27-2007, 01:10 PM
Age Group: pre-teens

What region are you from? Washington DC area

attended Skate America last year, but mostly watch on TV.

Jackson Elite and MK Profesional

layback and lutz

expo86
05-27-2007, 09:26 PM
Age Group ? Pre-Teen, Teens, Twenties, Thirties, etc. "Older than Dirt" is acceptable. LOL Older than Dirt

What region are you from -- not too specific, please? West Coast of BC

If you're a fan, do you attend live skating events or just watch TV/Video? Attend live skating events if within driving distance -- both competitions and ice shows; also watch TV

skamper23
05-28-2007, 09:10 PM
Age Group: Upper 30's

What region are you from: Massachusetts

I'm a skating fan...I watch and record everything on TV...I loved to rewatch competions and skating shows on long rainy days! (then my DVR crashed and I lost this entire season:x !!) I attend Halloween on Ice and 5 Stars on Ice
shows this year! I love seeing it live!!!

I don't skate at all, but my favorite elements to watch: Footwork, Jumps, pair lifts and tricks!

flikkitty11
05-28-2007, 09:55 PM
Age Group ? Teens (15)

What region are you from? Queensland, Australia

I went to the goowill games ages ago and to the youth olympic games 2007 (where my friend Tina came 3rd!!!). There is not enough skating on tv here:x

Risport Dimontes and J&K proffesional figure blades

My axel and double salchow are my best elements but double axels are the most fun (even though i can land it yet) :)

I teach skate school groups when there are not enough coaches at the rink

UDsk8coach
05-29-2007, 09:14 AM
Age Group ? mid-twenties

What region are you from? East Coast, "south atlantic" area

If you're a fan, do you attend live skating events or just watch TV/Video? attend live events (easterns, nationals) as a coach - and love it!

If you skate, what boots-and-blades do you use? Custom Harlicks & Pattern 99s

If you skate, what's your best/fav element? double axle, any combination jump

If you're a coach, do you teach groups or privates? groups & privates, but I prefer privates (I love the one-on-one time - so much gets accomplished!)

FLskater
06-04-2007, 01:06 PM
Age Group? Fabulously forty!

What region are you from -- not too specific, please? Sunny Florida

If you're a fan, do you attend live skating events or just watch TV/Video? Will attend Champions/Stars on Ice, but mostly watch on tv.

If you skate, what boots-and-blades do you use? Jackson Competitors with Ultima Legacy blades

If you skate, what's your best/fav element? Forward spiral

If you're a coach, do you teach groups or privates? n/a

littlekateskate
06-04-2007, 06:53 PM
Age Group ? Later 20's

What region are you from -- not too specific, please? Sunshine state

If you're a fan, do you attend live skating events or just watch TV/Video? Both.. I am going to the indy challenge, check out disney on ice, and watch tv contests.. Specially if i know someone in it.

If you skate, what boots-and-blades do you use? i own skates but cheap ones.. and my daughter is a reidell girl

If you skate, what's your best/fav element? Footwork! The harder the better! I dont really skate (skating parent) I cant wait for my daughter to do some cool stuff.

ScarlettRose
07-05-2007, 02:42 AM
Age Group: Teens - 17

What region are you from -- Northwest Pacific

If you're a fan, do you attend live skating events or just watch TV/Video: I nearly went to watch Nationals in spokane since I live close but didn't, I do watch a lot of skating on TV/ videos. Hopefully I'll skate in nationals soon to make up for it.

If you skate, what boots-and-blades do you use: Custom Klingbeil skates Corination Ace blades.

If you skate, what's your best/fav element: Best-spins Fav- Jumps

If you're a coach, do you teach groups or privates? I teach learn to skate as a Junior coach.

BigBaaadBob
07-05-2007, 09:40 PM
Age Group ? "Older than Dirt". But very well aged dirt!

What region are you from? New England

If you're a fan, do you attend live skating events or just watch TV/Video? Live and TV.

If you skate, what boots-and-blades do you use? SPTeri and Pattern 99

If you skate, what's your best/fav element? All spins.

I'm also a dad of two now retired ice dancing boys, and an official.

Jeanne D
07-17-2007, 07:10 AM

Age Group ? Baby Boomer

What region are you from -- Massachusetts?

If you skate, what boots-and-blades do you use? Custom Klingbeils, blue MKPro blade

If you skate, what's your best/fav element? Inside edge backspin

Jeanne D
07-17-2007, 07:13 AM

Age Group ? Baby Boomer

What region are you from -- Massachusetts?

If you skate, what boots-and-blades do you use? Custom Klingbeils, blue MKPro blade

If you skate, what's your best/fav element? Inside edge backspin

Disregard the ? after Massachusetts, a typo. I really do live here, I think!

blue111moon
07-17-2007, 08:08 AM
Age Group ? Dinosaur 8O

What region are you from -- not too specific, please? New England

If you're a fan, do you attend live skating events or just watch TV/Video? Attend competitions live.

If you skate, what boots-and-blades do you use? Reidell Silver boots, Vision (?) blades

If you skate, what's your best/fav element? edge jumps - salchow specifically

If you're a coach, do you teach groups or privates?[/QUOTE] I teach groups in the winter - basic beginners, tots and adults.

In the poll, I'm also an "other" - USFS official accountant.

DizzyDaisies
07-19-2007, 10:23 AM
Age Group ? Teens

What region are you from ? East Midlands, UK

If you're a fan, do you attend live skating events or just watch TV/Video? Both

If you skate, what boots-and-blades do you use? Risport RF4, ultima mark iv

If you skate, what's your best/fav element? Any jump

montanarose
07-19-2007, 11:58 AM
Age Group? "Older than dirt" or, as Suzanne Somers would call it, "the sexy sixties" (I wish :cry: )

What region are you from -- not too specific, please? Colorado

If you're a fan, do you attend live skating events or just watch TV/Video? I've attended Nationals, Skate America(s), GP Finals, Four Continents and many local competitions (it's nice to live within driving distance of the Broadmoor :lol: )

If you skate, what boots-and-blades do you use? Harlick High Testers w/MK Pro blades.

If you skate, what's your best/fav element? Currently, figures and MITF.

Morgail
07-19-2007, 03:03 PM
Age Group? Twenties

What region are you from? South/Midwest (Kentucky gets thrown into both)

If you're a fan, do you attend live skating events or just watch TV/Video? Mostly TV, but I love to attend in person if they are nearby

If you skate, what boots-and-blades do you use? SPTeri Super Teri with Coronation Ace blades

If you skate, what's your best/fav element? scratch spin and flips

If you're a coach, do you teach groups or privates? not a coach

EmilyJoy
07-27-2007, 01:58 PM
Age Group ? Teenager almost 16.

What region are you from -- Michigan area.

If you're a fan, do you attend live skating events or just watch TV/Video? Just TV/Video, hopefully will soon get to go to an actual event.

If you skate, what boots-and-blades do you use? In need of new ones so N/A.

If you skate, what's your best/fav element? Havent' skated for a couple years, last time I skated, best/fav would of been spins.

winziped
07-27-2007, 07:34 PM
Age Group ? Twenties

What region are you from -- Santiago ,Chile . Yeah from South America, isn't kidding :)
If you're a fan, do you attend live skating events or just watch TV/Video? Just watch TV or video but i would like attend to a skating event.

If you skate, what boots-and-blades do you use? N/A

If you skate, what's your best/fav element? N/A

creative.native
07-30-2007, 02:37 AM
I'm a wannabe. :D

ibreakhearts66
08-04-2007, 11:36 AM
Age Group ? Teenager. Wow, but not for too long. I'm 17.

What region are you from -- not too specific, please? Los Angeles area

If you're a fan, do you attend live skating events or just watch TV/Video? Just TV/video. Although, I'm going to try to convince my mom to let me subscribe to the ice network website.

If you skate, what boots-and-blades do you use? Well, if I were to go skating this second, I would be in pimped-out custom Harlicks lol (high teseter strength I believe). They're pretty nice. I've got the 50/50 tongue, orthotics, low cut dance back (even though I'm a freestyle skater), and scallop. They've been my babies, but they have aged :( My blades are coronation aces. I know people kinda laugh at them and think of them as such a beginners blade, but let me tell you, I landed consistent double lutzes in them, and would have landed double axels if it weren't for my tendency to stop eating and be hospitalized :-/

If you skate, what's your best/fav element? Hmmmm. Fun question. My fav jump USED to be my double sal, but now that is actually my least fav, 2loop and 2flip are easier on my ankle. Love camel spins and flying camels. My coach has always said I have the best camel spin in the rink :oops: I love sit spins too--I know, shocker. Most people seem to hate them. I love WORKING on my flying sit. I'm great at the tuck part, not so great at the landing lol. And I've come to love CE back sits. I finally got the hang of them

Haha, sorry guys. That was a long intro

Skittl1321
08-04-2007, 03:40 PM
Age Group ? Mid-Twenties
What region are you from - Region: Midwest

If you're a fan, do you attend live skating events or just watch TV/Video? Never Have

If you skate, what boots-and-blades do you use? Jackson Competitor, Ultima Mirage

If you skate, what's your best/fav element? I don't think anything I do can be described as "best" and I can't pick a favorite

If you're a coach, do you teach groups or privates?groups

liz_on_ice
08-12-2007, 03:43 PM
Age Group ? thirties. But not for much longer (sigh)

What region are you from -- northeast

If you're a fan, do you attend live skating events or just watch TV/Video? mostly tv, a bit of live when it is local.

Klingbeil, coronation ace

best - spirals - forwards so far, but back are catching up.
fav - waltz jumps, or possibly edge rolls (no, really!)

ic3sk8r
08-20-2007, 08:44 AM
Age Group ? Twenties

What region are you from -- Philippines

If you're a fan, do you attend live skating events or just watch TV/Video? both attend and watch...

If you skate, what boots-and-blades do you use? before I use Super Teri Deluxe boots with MK professional blades

If you skate, what's your best/fav element? sit spin...

:D

snow_white
08-30-2007, 07:38 AM
Age group? Teens

What region are you from? Belgium

I'm starting in september with skating:P

Muskoka Skater
09-09-2007, 02:31 PM
Age Group? Pre-Teen

What region are you from -- not too specific, please? Northern Ontario Section, Canada

If you're a fan, do you attend live skating events or just watch TV/Video? I'm a skater but I go and watch Canadians and I watch all the competions on tv also.

If you skate, what boots-and-blades do you use? SP Teri and Pattern 99s

If you skate, what's your best/fav element? Best: Double Lutz and sometimes double axel, Fav: Beilman

kayskate
09-09-2007, 04:40 PM
For other, I specify "adult skater".

Kay

Frozen Water
09-13-2007, 02:40 AM
Age Group - Life begins at 40
Region - North West England (UK)
Skates - Jackson Mystique, Jackson Blades
Just learning to skate and enjoying everything :)

iskatejunkie
10-02-2007, 04:09 PM
Age Group ? exactly mid-twenties

What region are you from -- not too specific, please? South-East coast, USA

If you're a fan, do you attend live skating events or just watch TV/Video? I watch everything I can... that means attending, tv and internet!

If you skate, what boots-and-blades do you use? SP Teri Pro Teri boots and MK Professional blades

If you skate, what's your best/fav element? I luff my spins!

If you're a coach, do you teach groups or privates? Ha!

RinkRobot
10-28-2007, 10:29 PM
Age Group ? 21, I'll be 22 in November

What region are you from -- not too specific, please? I live in bright, sunny, way to hot Florida

If you're a fan, do you attend live skating events or just watch TV/Video? I'll watch it on TV but I'd prefer to see events live if I ever get the time.

If you skate, what boots-and-blades do you use? Gold Star boots and Coronation Comet blades

If you skate, what's your best/fav element? My favorite is the Biellmann spin. I can get about four times around with my leg up.

If you're a coach, do you teach groups or privates? I just started coaching this past week so I'm only allowed to do group classes right now. tThey have me teaching Basic 1 so any advice would be great!

In the "other" category, I'm also a rink employee. I am a 3rd generation skate guard, though the first on ice; and I work in the pro shop fitting people for skates. My specialty is in Riedell skates but I do know a bit about Jacksons too.

RinkRat321
10-30-2007, 06:31 PM
Age Group ? Teens

What region are you from -- South Atlantic, USA

If you're a fan, do you attend live skating events or just watch TV/Video? If there's an event close enough to where i live i'll attend it live, otherwise im more of just a TV/video person

If you skate, what boots-and-blades do you use? Jackson Elite Plus & Parobolic blades

If you skate, what's your best/fav element? spin: i-spin & flying sit || jump: double loop

If you're a coach, do you teach groups or privates? i help out with learn to skate classes.

SJacklène
11-17-2007, 12:08 PM
Hi! My name is Sara Jacklène!

Age Group: Teen-I am 17, but I will turn 18 on December 28th.

What region are you from: I am from Southern West Virginia.

If you're a fan, do you attend live skating events or just watch TV/Video: I have never been to a live skating event, although I would love to! I watch skating on TV all the time.

Kim to the Max
11-17-2007, 12:23 PM
Age Group ? Twenties -- but in a few short years I will enter my 30s (I'm currently 27)

What region are you from -- Originally from Wisconsin, but now I'm in Upstate NY

If you skate, what boots-and-blades do you use? Harlick Finalist boots, Coronation Comet blades

If you skate, what's your best/fav element? My best is my spiral...I've had many a person stop what they are doing to watch. I'm working on my axels, pre-juv freestyle test and my intermediate moves.

GlacialGlittz
11-17-2007, 08:31 PM
Age Group: Teens-14

What region are you from: Southern California

If you skate, what boots-and-blades do you use: I'm a beginner and right now I use LL.Bean figure skates.

If you skate, what's your best/fav element: My favorite element is spins.

teresa
11-27-2007, 09:30 PM
skater

teresa

Polz
12-30-2007, 05:09 AM
Age Group ? Teens (15 years!)

What region are you from -- France...

If you skate, Buying new figure skates tomorrow!

If you skate, I love it all!!!

Theres a lil bit about me :D

Skate80
01-05-2008, 09:40 PM
Age Group ? 20's

What region are you from -- not too specific, please? Somewhere in New York

If you're a fan, do you attend live skating events or just watch TV/Video? Both

If you skate, what boots-and-blades do you use? Klingbeil Customs with Coronation Comet

If you skate, what's your best/fav element? Footwork

If you're a coach, do you teach groups or privates? I coach 13 group lessons a week and one training session no time for private students right now.

skatergee01
01-06-2008, 04:53 AM
i would say i'm a skater :)
this is a really cool poll by the way . :)

mlee
01-07-2008, 08:14 PM
Age Group ? early twenties

What region are you from -- Alberta region, Calgary region more specific

If you're a fan, do you attend live skating events or just watch TV/Video? I usually watch because of location. But I attend the events when I can

If you skate, what boots-and-blades do you use? Boot: Grafs F-4000 Blades: Pattern 99

If you skate, what's your best/fav element? spin: one-foot sit spin, where I do the johnny weir sit spin, change of edge, and broken leg change sit (level 4 woot!) jump: depends on the jump that is going well : D

If you're a coach, do you teach groups or privates? I used to be program assistant for Canskate. I haven't since graduating highschool.

Summerkid710
01-08-2008, 12:59 PM
Age Group: Thirties
What region are you from: Chicago
If you skate, what boots-and-blades do you use: SP-Teri Deluxes painted Bark with Phantom Blades
If you skate, what's your best/fav element: Camel spin
If you're a coach, do you teach groups or privates: Group, private lessons and a synchro team

blackmanskating
01-08-2008, 04:07 PM
Age Group ? Mid-twenties

What region are you from -- not too specific, please? Eastern Region (Maryland)

If you're a fan, do you attend live skating events or just watch TV/Video? I typically watch it on TV/Internet

If you skate, what boots-and-blades do you use? Jackson Elite Plus Boots and Wilson Gold Seal blades

If you skate, what's your best/fav element? Best jumps are the loop and flip best spin is back scratch and forward sit

If you're a coach, do you teach groups or privates? I don't coach but I might one day

Query
01-10-2008, 10:35 AM
>Age Group?
Older than dirt.

>What region are you from?
D.C.

>If you're a fan, do you attend live skating events or just watch TV/Video?
N/A

>If you skate, what boots-and-blades do you use?
Custom Klingbeils, just switched from MK Dance to Jackson Matrix - currently Supreme runners, but will soon switch to Dance runners. Still uncomfortable after 6 or 7 years, but I am progressively changing them to be tolerable.

>If you skate, what's your best/fav element?
Whether I skate is a matter of opinion, but my favorate element is falling down. I'm very happy if I can just skate smoothly.

>If you're a coach, do you teach groups or privates?
I'm not a coach, but I volunteer instruct low levels for the Fort Dupont Kids on Ice program (through which I may or may not be registered as a USFSA Basic Skills Instructor), which, by the way, currently seeks more instructors. I think skate coaching professionally is one of the best part-time jobs in the world, and would love to be good enough. Sigh.

mousey
01-15-2008, 11:24 PM
Age Group ? Twenties

What region are you from -- not too specific, please? Canada

If you're a fan, do you attend live skating events or just watch TV/Video? If theres a big event that is local (which is never) I'll go. I don't have cable!

If you skate, what boots-and-blades do you use? Jacksons with Ultima blades. Sad to say, I have no clue what type.

If you skate, what's your best/fav element? any jump. I enjoy jumping!

jcookie1982
01-18-2008, 08:25 PM
Age Group ? 25

What region are you from -- Maryland
If you're a fan, do you attend live skating events or just watch TV/Video? I watch on TV, and go to all of the events that come to the area.
If you skate, what boots-and-blades do you use? Jackson Freestyles with Mark IV blades
If you skate, what's your best/fav element? Forward spiral, salchow

Chiyori
01-27-2008, 02:56 PM
Age Group ? Early twenties

What region are you from -- not too specific, please? Quebec, Canada

If you're a fan, do you attend live skating events or just watch TV/Video? Of course but there's never anything here... and I missed Skate Canada in nov.!!!

If you skate, what boots-and-blades do you use? GAM 400 and I think I have G10... or is it G14? can't remember :mrgreen:

If you skate, what's your best/fav element? Egde jumps, footwork and that wicked donut spin I just mastered :D

If you're a coach, do you teach groups or privates? Not a coach... not patient enough :oops:

debrag
01-29-2008, 06:38 AM
Age Group ? 20's

What region are you from -- not too specific, please? London

If you're a fan, do you attend live skating events or just watch TV/Video? Hardly anything on TV here and if you don't have a sports channel all you will get is the olympics. Going to Worlds next year and see ice shows

If you skate, what boots-and-blades do you use? Riedell 110

If you skate, what's your best/fav element? Just started

If you're a coach, do you teach groups or privates? ---

Kristin
01-29-2008, 03:15 PM
Fun thread!

I am an Adult Silver lady who competes freestyle at local comps & Adult Mids/Nationals. I also test Dance (have passed one Pre-silver) and Moves in the field (passed through Pre-juv & Adult Silver moves). I skate 4 days a week & skate at Arctic FSC in Canton, Michigan.

Because I love to watch skating & am a big fan of all figure skating, I am also a Bronze test judge for Singles & Pairs. I have recently started trial judging Ice dance as well & hope to have that qualification in a year or so. :halo:

Nice to meet you all!:D

deannathegeek
02-04-2008, 09:03 PM
Age Group? Thirties

What region are you from? Central Texas

If you're a fan, do you attend live skating events or just watch TV/Video? I record programs on my DVR, watch when I have time

If you skate, what boots-and-blades do you use? Riedell (sp?) off-the-rack

If you skate, what's your best/fav element? best: CCW Back crossovers fav: scratch spin

If you're a coach, do you teach groups or privates? I'm not a real, certified coach, but I teach my three kids. My 6 year old has been competing for 2 years, my 9 year old just started, and my son (almost 3) has been skating since he was 14 months.

celticprincess
03-31-2008, 08:00 PM
Age Group? Early Twenties

What region are you from? New York, 4 hrs outside the city

If you're a fan, do you attend live skating events or just watch TV/Video? I've actually done both. I went to the Stars on Ice tour last year and LOVED it.

If you skate, what boots-and-blades do you use? Jacksons..not sure what kind of blades.

If you skate, what's your best/fav element? I love to jump..my best would be my lutz or loop, my best spin is probably my flying broken leg spin. My favorite jump is the axel(I'll like it even more IF and WHEN I land it), my favorite spin is flying sit spin. Also I love choreography and learning new programs.
If you're a coach, do you teach groups or privates? I taught learn to skate. I love the little kids..they're sooo cute. Someday I hope to be a coach that specializes in choreography.__________________

onlyhappyonice
04-01-2008, 05:01 AM
Age Group ? Later 20's

What region are you from -- not too specific, please? UK, Staffordshire

If you're a fan, do you attend live skating events or just watch TV/Video? Only just got into it so I'm on youtube and the net in general :)

Selling my Nike flexlite 2 hockey skates now, and just bought WIFA skatec D boots with MK 21 dance blades

If you skate, what's your best/fav element? My best element is probably three turn/mohawk, my favorite is anything and everything :)

If you're a coach, do you teach groups or privates? I don't, I'm the coachee

Pandora
04-01-2008, 10:48 PM
Region: New York
Attend or Watch Skating: Usually watch on TV and YouTube
Boots?Blades?: Riedell Royal Boots, Pattern 99 Blades (with K picks)
Best/Favorite Element: Toe jumps (Love those K picks!!!)
Coaching: Just myself. :D

littleprincess
04-17-2008, 07:57 PM
Age Group ? Teen

What region are you from? Southwest

If you're a fan, do you attend live skating events or just watch TV/Video? I wish I would see some of my fav. Skaters skate live but I just watch it on T.V.

If you skate, what boots-and-blades do you use? Reidell and Wilson

If you skate, what's your best/fav element? hmmmm... idk

Isk8NYC
05-13-2008, 07:37 AM
I'm bumping this thread for our newbies who might like to introduce themselves.
Skaters and non-skaters are welcome!

Age Group? Pre-Teen, Teens, Twenties, Thirties, etc. "Older than Dirt" is acceptable. LOL

What region are you from? -- not too specific, please

If you're a fan, do you attend live skating events or watch TV/Video?

TiggerTooSkates
05-23-2008, 08:39 PM
Age - 34

What region are you from? Mid-Atlantic US

If you're a fan, do you attend live skating events or just watch TV/Video? I've been to Brian Boitano's show and I saw Scott Hamilton's when he had it. I've been to our state games a couple of times and went to the Olympic Festival when it was here ages ago. Used to go to all the ice shows when I was a kid - whatever happened to them? (I have a program from I think it's "Disney on Ice" with Linda Fratianne in it!)

If you skate, what boots and blades do you use? Riedell Blue Ribbons with MK blades - but I hope to upgrade soon!

If you skate, what's your best/fav element? I haven't been skating enough to really say I have a "best element" - although my forward and backward crossovers are something I'm really proud of here lately. It's a simple move, but I love watching skaters do Bauers and I can't wait to learn how to do one myself.

FlyAndCrash
05-23-2008, 09:37 PM
Age Group ? ADULT lol. Finally 18.

What region are you from: Midwest, soon to be east coast

If you're a fan, do you attend live skating events or just watch TV/Video? tv and youtube

If you skate, what boots-and-blades do you use? siver star riedells and mk pro blades

If you skate, what's your best/fav element? hmm... either a spiral or sit spin. A really in control axel is nice too.

If you're a coach, do you teach groups or privates? I teach group LTS.

kimberley801
05-23-2008, 11:18 PM
Age Group ? 20's
What region are you from ? Hmmm...Intermountain (Utah)
If you're a fan, do you attend live skating events or just watch TV/Video? Both. Mostly TV.

If you skate, what boots-and-blades do you use? Jackson Competitors with Ultima Mirage blades

If you skate, what's your best/fav element? spin: Best - Mohawks. Fave: Waltz jump. Will soon be able to add not-so-evil toe loop and salchow to the list of faves.

If you're a coach, do you teach groups or privates? Not a coach.

DoubleAxel
06-11-2008, 12:50 PM

Age Group ? Pre-Teen, Teens, Twenties, Thirties, etc. "Older than Dirt" is acceptable. LOL

teen

North West Pasific

Jacksons and [I]goldseals
soon moving to klingbials

best=axel/d-flip fav=d-flip

i am a instructer assistant

yep, thats me.;)

Skating Jessica
06-15-2008, 11:22 AM
Age Group? Twenties (I'm 22).

What region are you from -- not too specific, please? East.

If you skate, what boots-and-blades do you use? Lightweight custom Harlick's in Holiday Tan with Cornation Comet blades.

If you skate, what's your best/fav element? I'm currently working on my Novice freestyle and Gold dances. My best/fav. freestyle elements include sit spins, spirals, bauers, and challenging footwork. My favorite [Gold] dances are the Viennese Waltz and the Argentine Tango.

If you're a coach, do you teach groups or privates? I've been coaching for about 8 years. I teach both groups (ISI) and privates (USFSA).

geena
07-29-2008, 09:08 PM

Age Group ? clinging to the final days of "30s"

Midwest

Mostly TV/Video

My VINTAGE gear is SPTeri Deluxe w/Phantom blades

My flip jumps were pretty good back in the day

N/A

Pgh.Coach
08-23-2008, 03:51 PM
Age Group? Early 20s

What region are you from--not too specific, please? Eastern US

If you skate, what boots-and-blades do you use? Lightweight custom Harlicks with Cornation Comet blades

If you're a coach, do you teach groups or privates? I'm approaching my eighth(!) year of coaching. I teach both private and group lessons, USFS as well as ISI.

TRAxel
10-31-2008, 01:49 PM
Thirties
Ontario, Canada
I attend as many live events as I can

taijiya
11-02-2008, 05:05 PM
Age Group? Early 40's

What region are you from? Midwest-ish

If you're a fan, do you attend live skating events or watch TV/Video? Both. Not that there are too many live events locally, but I do go out for the holiday shows and stuff like that.

If you skate, what boots-and-blades do you use? Harlick Competitor Plus boots with Coronation Ace blades. I still have my vintage Jackson Freestyles with MK Mark IV blades as backups!

If you skate, what's your best/fav element? I'm not sure anything I do could be classified as "best." My favorite things to do are remain upright, not fall down, etc. ;)

If you're a coach, do you teach groups or privates? Heh. At this rate, I might be ready to try teaching when I'm about 90! :giveup:

madskater92
11-17-2008, 09:21 PM
Age Group ? 6Teen:P

What region are you from ? Australia(the land down under)8-)

If you're a fan, do you attend live skating events or just watch TV/Video?I'm a skater, both.

If you skate, what boots-and-blades do you use?Graf Galexy Lites with Gold seal JW.

If you skate, what's your best/fav element?Outside Bauer,Double Flip,Sit spin(with variation):D

If you're a coach, do you teach groups or privates? Use to teach basic skate at my old club. I will never coach again!!:twisted:

Swizzler
11-19-2008, 11:20 PM
Age Group ? Pre-Teen, Teens, Twenties, Thirties, etc. "Older than Dirt" is acceptable. Older than 30.

What region are you from -- not too specific, please?Western United States

If you're a fan, do you attend live skating events or just watch TV/Video?Both! I am really looking forward to going to the Worlds in Los Angeles. I also tend to hog up the Tivo with all my favorite skating shows.

If you skate, what boots-and-blades do you use?Harlick custom lightweight with Coronation Ace Parabolic blades (love them!)

If you skate, what's your best/fav element?right now, Ina Bauer, Salchow and Chinese spiral.

BCNKing
11-29-2008, 06:20 PM
Age Group ? 29...still a full year to start my thirties!

What region are you from -- not too specific, please? Barcelona, Spain.

If you're a fan, do you attend live skating events or just watch TV/Video? I went to Torino to see Plushenko before he retired. The rest on TV/Online.

If you skate, what boots-and-blades do you use? Boots Graff Edmonton Special, blades Jackson Ultima Freestyle.

If you skate, what's your best/fav element? Double toe loop.

If you're a coach, do you teach groups or privates? Groups

valloucelery
11-29-2008, 08:38 PM

Age group: early teens ( 13 )
what region: canada
i attend comps around here :P
i have risports
best jump: double salchow maybe?
best spin: sit spin
worst jump: axel
worst spin: layback :S
im a program assistant and i coach groups

queen ale
12-11-2008, 06:06 AM
Age ? 24

What region are you from -- not too specific, please? Turin, Italy

If you're a fan, do you attend live skating events or just watch TV/Video? Both. Live skating events: Olympic Winter Games 2006 ( I saw Plushenko's performances) and some Galà. Watch tv: European and World championships

If you skate, what boots-and-blades do you use? Roxa liberty

( I'm an amateur skater, but I like skating since I was 4) :roll:

Romantic Ice
01-10-2009, 06:03 AM
Age Group: 40ish (but I feel younger, does that count?:P)

What region are you from -Seattle

If you're a fan, do you attend live skating events or just watch TV/Video?-I've never attended a live skating event, but I would go in a heartbeat if I knew tht Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir were performing!

A simple answer to the last three questions. I'm not a skater at all, but I love watching on TV.

Andrea

Tessbot
02-17-2009, 04:47 AM

Twenties.

Canada

Nike Bauer speed skates.

I'm not a figure skater, and don't know the terms that well, but I like doing sharp turns.

skatedancer
03-03-2009, 01:24 PM
Age Group ? I am a teenager.

What region are you from -- not too specific, please? I's from Ontario, and skate out of COS.

If you're a fan, do you attend live skating events or just watch TV/Video? I skate myself and attend as much as possible.

If you skate, what boots-and-blades do you use? I wear pattern 99 blades and Resport Boots .... but I need to get stronger ones casue i break mine down too fast ... any suggestions?

If you skate, what's your best/fav element? My Fav element is definitly NOT a spin.... I love any salchows and loops (double and triple)

If you're a coach, do you teach groups or privates? I am also a coach and becasue of my age, i am only allowed to teach CanSkate groups

That's Me :) ~!

ladyfigureskate
04-10-2009, 09:51 PM
hello my name is Hannah and I'm 12 years old figure skater. My favorite skaters are Michelle Kwan and YuNa Kim and hope to skate like them one day.

http://www.ladyfigureskater.com/

dbny
04-10-2009, 11:35 PM
Age Group? 60's (um, I think that's also "older than dirt" :lol:)

What region are you from? East coast

If you're a fan, do you attend live skating events or watch TV/Video? I watch video over, and over and over again. I've been to many SOI's and was at one Skate America. Would go to more but for the $ and the time.

If you skate, what boots-and-blades do you use? Custom Klingbeils and Coronation Aces.

If you skate, what's your best/fav element? F & B cross rolls!

If you're a coach, do you teach groups or privates? Both.

sleetorr
04-11-2009, 07:36 AM
Age Group ? 20's

What region are you from -- not too specific, please? California.

If you're a fan, do you attend live skating events or just watch TV/Video? Just watch from TV. I'm lazy.

If you skate, what boots-and-blades do you use? Haven't skated in years.

If you skate, what's your best/fav element? having fun?

Basically, when I was little, my parents made me figure skate for a year. I have recently taken interest in skating again.

Becky-on-ice
04-16-2009, 09:15 PM

Age Group ? -Teens

What region are you from - North America-United States

If you're a fan, do you attend live skating events or just watch TV/Video? -I just watch it on the tv whenever I can,

If you skate, what boots-and-blades do you use? - I use Jackson Ultima Glacier skates.

If you skate, what's your best/fav element? - I love all the turns, mowhawks, three-turns etc.

If you're a coach, do you teach groups or privates? - I'm not a coach, but I would love to become one when I am old enough. I am a volunteer to help with the tot ice skating classes though.

londonicechamp
04-28-2009, 03:28 PM
Hi

My age group is: early 30s.

My region is South east Asia. I am now in UK, but shall move back to SE asia in the end of May.

I am a keen skater, I currently skate 3 times a week, each practice session lasts about 2 to 2.5 hours.

My boots are Harlick with gold star blade. :D Got another pair of boots somewhere in Hong Kong, could not recall what brand and blade it is. :roll:

My favourite moves are: ISI 2 step sequence, half loop, and also one foot spin and sit spins. :P

londonicechamp

Kat12
05-06-2009, 07:30 PM
Age Group ? Twenties...26 to be exact, though I *look* closer to 16 or 18.

What region are you from -- not too specific, please? Michigan...and wouldn't mind hearing from others in the area.

If you're a fan, do you attend live skating events or just watch TV/Video? I used to be really into skating as a kid but not so much anymore.

If you skate, what boots-and-blades do you use? Frankly the other day I bought a secondhand pair of the leather-lined Lake Placid skates for 20 bucks and haven't had the chance to even take them out on the ice yet. At this point I'm going to skate just for fun as I haven't done it in years!

If you skate, what's your best/fav element? n/a (or should I say, not falling! :) )

babeonblades7
07-05-2009, 11:41 AM
Age Group ? Late twenties

What region are you from -- not too specific, please? Ohio

If you're a fan, do you attend live skating events or just watch TV/Video? Some live, but a lot of tv/video

If you skate, what boots-and-blades do you use? Super Teri Delux w/ Wilson Gold Seal

If you skate, what's your best/fav element? Double Flip

If you're a coach, do you teach groups or privates? both

dreamshark
10-09-2009, 12:32 PM
I just joined the forum, so I thought I should introduce myself. Am I really the last person that's joined since May of 2007? [ETA: I just realized that the default view in this forum is oldest on top. So to answer my own question - no. *duh*]

Age Group ? Older that Dirt

What region are you from -- upper midwest

If you're a fan, do you attend live skating events or just watch TV/Video? not much of a fan. Watch the Olympics, that's about it.

If you skate, what boots-and-blades do you use? Gosh, I'm not at the boots-and-blades level. I just went to a skate shop and bought some skates. Jacksons, I think. At least they're real leather. ;)

If you skate, what's your best/fav element? Intermediate learner. My 2-foot slaloms and right T-stop are pretty darn good. Other than that...

sk8joyful
12-03-2009, 12:55 AM
Age Group? to 1 little girl, I'm grandma 8O, and that was a lifetime ago; now I'm just a kid :D

What region? PNWet

do you attend live skating events or watch TV/Video? Both;
tho if I had a $ for every Sk8-dvd I've watched, I could easily retire. - Locally, I attend every show.

If you skate, what do you use? Reidells

* falling-down seldom (mostly while standing)
* given a :roll: horrid-posture,/ an "amazing-sense of balance" acc. to a coach
* pretty-good flexability ;)
* anybody else known as "Swizzle-queen" lol
* dare-devil on moves I think of as fun, & FUN is my favorite! element :)
* No back edges, yet.

I've given other skaters suggestions, that matched what coaches told them later in their lessons.
Tho,
if my own-skating skills, need to match theirs, I may be ready to teach when I'm about 100, LOL

Layne
12-06-2009, 11:08 PM
Hi everyone! I'm Layne, and I just started skating about a month ago. None of my friends can comprehend why a male human would want to figure skate, but I just always have. Perhaps I'll find greater understanding in here with you all.

Age Group? 25

What region are you from? College Station, Texas

If you're a fan, do you attend live skating events or just watch TV/Video? I've never been to a live event. I've always enjoyed watching it on TV more than people think is normal for a little boy.

If you skate, what boots-and-blades do you use? Just bought some OLD Harlick's on ebay...hope they fit. Anything is better than rentals.

If you skate, what's your best/fav element? Moving about without touching the wall.