View Full Version : The origan of the names of the different Ice-Dances. Were did they come from?

FSWer
05-14-2007, 07:01 PM
Say, there is something I've always wondered about Ice-Dancing.I'm sure that Free-Dance is just saying Freeskate to Ice-Dancing. But do we have any kind of history origan to the "Origanal Dance" being called that? Or the Composery (sorry I know that's spelled wrong) being called that too? Why they ARE called those names and all?

Virtualsk8r
05-15-2007, 05:43 AM
The original dance is a just that .....an original dance unique to that dance team that is invented and performed according to current rules and restrictions. Generally, there are no lifts and the dance is composed of new and known dance steps following a set pattern that is repeated. Many original dances were so inventive that they were incorporated into the compulsory dance repetoire......Yankee Polka and Ravensburger waltz come immediately to mind.

Compulsory dances are the 28 or so (depending upon the country where you skate) that begin with the lowest, simplist dance steps up to the international compulsory dances we see at the Olympics and World's. Each dance is performed the same by anyone who does it, to ISU music, and there is little room for individual interpretation. So each dance team can be compared - step for step - with each other as they are performing the same dance.

FSWer
05-15-2007, 05:51 PM
The original dance is a just that .....an original dance unique to that dance team that is invented and performed according to current rules and restrictions. Generally, there are no lifts and the dance is composed of new and known dance steps following a set pattern that is repeated. Many original dances were so inventive that they were incorporated into the compulsory dance repetoire......Yankee Polka and Ravensburger waltz come immediately to mind.

Compulsory dances are the 28 or so (depending upon the country where you skate) that begin with the lowest, simplist dance steps up to the international compulsory dances we see at the Olympics and World's. Each dance is performed the same by anyone who does it, to ISU music, and there is little room for individual interpretation. So each dance team can be compared - step for step - with each other as they are performing the same dance.

So,the Origanal is called that because Dancers use Origanality,and Compusory means?.....

icedancer2
05-15-2007, 06:13 PM
True, the Original Dance means it is original - but it is always done to a certain rhythm every year. For instance one year all of the teams must do a Tango, the next year it might be a Waltz, and the next year everyone does a Quickstep or Foxtrot (a lot of times they will combine rhythms like Quickstep and Foxtrot because they are similar).

Each compulsory dance is different but everyone who does them does the exact same steps. That is what the word compulsory means. For instance, if I taught you the Dutch Waltz (this is usually the first compulsory dance someone learns) you would learn all of the steps and pattern to the music. Everyone who is taught that dance is taught the exact same steps.

Of course, not everyone looks the same doing it and that is how you get a competition. The team that looks the best wins that portion of the competition!

Originally Posted by Virtualsk8r http://www.skatingforums.com/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.skatingforums.com/showthread.php?p=322131#post322131)

Actually this was called "Original Set Pattern Dance" - the Original dance as it is currently done is not a set pattern that is repeated and it does incorporate lifts and dance spins.

Very confusing I know.

FSWer I will try to link you to some compulsory dance patterns so you can see what they look like. Any US Figure Skating rulebook will also have them all listed.

FSWer
05-15-2007, 06:40 PM
True, the Original Dance means it is original - but it is always done to a certain rhythm every year. For instance one year all of the teams must do a Tango, the next year it might be a Waltz, and the next year everyone does a Quickstep or Foxtrot (a lot of times they will combine rhythms like Quickstep and Foxtrot because they are similar).

Each compulsory dance is different but everyone who does them does the exact same steps. That is what the word compulsory means. For instance, if I taught you the Dutch Waltz (this is usually the first compulsory dance someone learns) you would learn all of the steps and pattern to the music. Everyone who is taught that dance is taught the exact same steps.

Of course, not everyone looks the same doing it and that is how you get a competition. The team that looks the best wins that portion of the competition!

Actually this was called "Original Set Pattern Dance" - the Original dance as it is currently done is not a set pattern that is repeated and it does incorporate lifts and dance spins.

Very confusing I know.

FSWer I will try to link you to some compulsory dance patterns so you can see what they look like. Any US Figure Skating rulebook will also have them all listed.

So,it would mean to duplicate,right?

icedancer2
05-15-2007, 07:25 PM
So,it would mean to duplicate,right?

No, it is more like, "This is the RULE." Follow it, or else!!

I just looked at one of the dictionary websites and it says that compulsory means "required, mandatory".

You could say duplicate, in that everyone who does one of these dances is doing the exact same steps and patterns.

icedancer2
05-15-2007, 07:31 PM
Here is a video of someone doing the Dutch Waltz on the rink (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXnksVobkMo).

The Dutch Waltz is just one of about 28 different compulsory (or required) dances.

cathrl
05-26-2007, 12:00 PM
The original dance also has more rules about the pattern you follow on the ice than the free dance does - not sure about the internationals, but at my daughter's level, you have to go generally round the rink in the same direction (doesn't matter which one, but you have to do the same throughout the dance), no doubling back on yourself (loops are allowed), and you can only cross the centre line at the ends of the rink.

In the UK we also have what is called a "variation" dance which is what you test at the low levels, before you start testing original dances. These start off with the steps of a compulsory dance, then you replace some more of the steps with your own, then you go back to the compulsory steps. What you do when is very confusing and I've seen adults do their original bits in the wrong places in competition, so I'm not even going to try to explain it fully :)