View Full Version : Emily Hughes.....what do you think of what she has become skaterwise?

FSWer
05-03-2007, 07:49 PM
What does everyone here think of what she has become as a skater? I personally beleive the girl has surely shown that she has what it takes to remain an Elite skater,and that shhe truely IS the skating Double to her sister Sarah. So those are my opinions. What do YOU all think?

Lark
05-04-2007, 11:17 AM
I do not think Emily is half the skater that Sarah was.

Sarah was battling Michelle Kwan, Sasha Cohen, Maria Butyrskaya and Irina Slutskaya, the greatest Ladies figure skaters of the last 15 years. And Sarah was defeating these Ladies.

Emily has very little competition in the National arena, except for Kimmie Meisner, and she is still struggling.

I would compare Sarah/Emily to Michelle/Karen. One is just mind-blowing great, the other is so so...

Lark
05-04-2007, 01:22 PM
But let me add that Emily is held back a bit because she has too much on her plate. If she dedicated herself to skating 100% for the next couple seasons, she might be able to win Nationals. I cannot see her ever medaling at Worlds or Olympics, even though I do like her alot.

Samskate
05-04-2007, 01:55 PM
I think Emily is a very nice girl, but her style of skating doesn't appeal to me. I'm not saying she isn't a good skater; just that I don't like her style. As someone on these boards said a while back, there is a heaviness to her skating compared to some of the others, both past and present. And it doesn't have anything to do with how much she weighs or doesn't weigh. It's just something about her landings. Does that make sense?:??

Schmeck
05-04-2007, 04:05 PM
Samskate, I think you are describing how she holds her shoulders/upper body while she skates. It's a posture thing, I think...

I think she's a lovely skater, definitely deserves the title 'elite lady' but she isn't the cream of the crop, so to speak. Compared to her sister, she's closer to Sarah than Karen was to Michelle.

b viswanathan
05-04-2007, 08:54 PM
Samskate,

I totally agree. Her skating is powerful, but doesn't lift her to the lovely heights of, say, Katarina Witt (who wasn't a tiny woman, either, so no, it's not mere size). It's not quite expressive - although in her best moments, it's stirring by virtue of being so confidently assertive. To me, it sometimes seems she has to remind herself to infuse her arms/body with grace and flow. I never feel it wells up naturally. And she doesn't ever seem to be one with the music... But I hope that isn't too harsh.

OTOH, I wasn't a huge (pun!) fan of Sarah, either. I thought she was so mentally tough that she did deserve to win the Gold, just by virtue of keeping completely on focus and together; but I didn't see her program as a thing of beauty or a memorable/legendary one.

I am so, so impressed with the intelligence and maturity of the Hughes clan, though. I think Emily's going to Harvard and continuing to skate are just exemplary - I hope she'll serve as a role model to future athletes. And I'm incredibly proud that she's coming to my town next year: I welcome her with open arms to Our Fair City!

Lark
05-05-2007, 08:55 AM
but I didn't see her program as a thing of beauty or a memorable/legendary one.

That is funny how people can vary so much in taste.

For me, Sarah, Tara, Maria and Michelle are the only 4 Ladies, that I can think of, who have actually moved me to tears with some of their performances. And I feel that Sarah's Olympic win was one of the greatest Ladies performances of the last 15 years. Easily. I hope that Emily can have her huge moment, but I am not going to bet money on it happening.

I do agree, though, that Emily is closer to Sarah in skating than Karen was to Michelle. But not by much. Maybe a hair... :D

b viswanathan
05-07-2007, 10:12 AM
[QUOTE=Lark;320620]That is funny how people can vary so much in taste.

Lark,

Oh, absolutely: taste is so deeply personal. It's why I try not to comment too much on what I love vs. what others say they love - it's just easier to agree silently, or to disagree silently. What is there to say other than "to each his/her own"?

miraclegro
05-08-2007, 04:50 PM
I got to meet Emily briefly this winter at Klingbeil skate co. I only chatted briefly, but i must say, i realized she was smaller in person than on t.v. I think that some of the others are just so very tiny, that Emily looks so much larger. I am impressed with any Sr. level skater, but i just think that Sarah and Emily's focuses are not solely on skating.

I will always have my favorites, but i am a little sad the sport has changed so much. Artistry has to fit so much into everything else that is required and that is indeed a challenge. I personally think the Japanese girl that won the last Olympics embodied the Artistry and the power and strength that is so challenging to attain these days. I am mesmerized by her.

rsk8d
05-20-2007, 07:52 PM
Emily is one of my favorite skaters for the sole reason she feels her music, looks like she enjoys being out in front of people, and seems like one of the nicest, most responsible teenagers i've seen. She is wonderful live, and just lights up a rink. As for her being 'bigger'- people should leave her body type alone. it's nice to see a young woman with muscle and a very healthy body when there is such emphasis (esp. Hollywood) on being thin, thin, thin. I think Emily is a wonderful role model to young girls everywhere. As for comparisons to Sarah- Emily's jump technique in almost textbook, as Sarah's was not. Sarah just had a lightness that Emily does not. It's like comparing apples and oranges.

icedancer2
05-20-2007, 07:58 PM
Emily is one of my favorite skaters for the sole reason she feels her music, looks like she enjoys being out in front of people, and seems like one of the nicest, most responsible teenagers i've seen. She is wonderful live, and just lights up a rink. As for her being 'bigger'- people should leave her body type alone. it's nice to see a young woman with muscle and a very healthy body when there is such emphasis (esp. Hollywood) on being thin, thin, thin. I think Emily is a wonderful role model to young girls everywhere. As for comparisons to Sarah- Emily's jump technique in almost textbook, as Sarah's was not. Sarah just had a lightness that Emily does not. It's like comparing apples and oranges.

I TOTALLY agree with this and thoroughly enjoy Emily's skating, body type, etc. - what a relief from the teeny-tiny young kids we are seeing these days.

Plus -- what a heart this girl has - I look forward to following her continuing career and success in skating and otherwise.

Sessy
05-23-2007, 12:35 PM
I quite like watching her skate. I haven't a view of how she's doing in competitions since I only saw her on tv with the olympics for the first and only time but I liked what I saw. Her skating seems somehow... real.