View Full Version : Who is a real leader among men nowadays?

Scarlett21
04-10-2007, 08:14 AM
I think that it,s really a very interesting question cause every year we have a new champion. Who is it? Lambiel,two times world champion,Buttle who is considered to be a new star, Joubert,this season leader or maybe Takahashi?:?: :?: :?:
And one more aspect. Can Plush return or not?(i hope that not!)

Lark
04-10-2007, 09:32 AM
There will never be another rivalry like Yags vs. Plushy. :(

These 2 guys personified excellent skating.

I would love for Plushy to come back and battle it out with Takahashi.

Takahashi is the only skater who has the potential to give Plushenko a run for his money. Joubert bails out too much and Lambiel just doesn't seem to care anymore.

dbny
04-10-2007, 05:43 PM
Joubert has studied with Browning, and I can see the effect in his skating, but he does not have the natural flair that Takahashi and Plushenko both own, and I'm not sure it can be learned to the extent needed. For Takahashi to beat Plushenko, if he returns at his previous level of ability, he would have to have more quads. My heart belongs to Takahashi.

Artemis
04-10-2007, 06:18 PM
There will never be another rivalry like Yags vs. Plushy. These 2 guys personified excellent skating.

Hmm. There have been great rivalries in the past, and will no doubt be great ones in the future. If I've learned anything from watching skating, it's to never say never.

I'd certainly never pick these two as the "best ever" rivalry, if for no other reason than the fact that, although they were both amazing on the ice, they left a lot to be desired in the off-ice department. Esp. re: sportship.

For me, my fave mens rivalry ever has to be the battle(s) of the Brians.

... and Lambiel just doesn't seem to care anymore.

That's what I thought too, until I saw his LP at Worlds. It certainly seemed then that he'd regained his competitive spirit. I still think he's a wanker for copping a 'tude like he did earlier in the season, but I think he might just have learned his lesson.

But of the 3 guys on the podium, I think Takahashi has the most potential to be a truly great skater and leader for the sport.

Samskate
04-10-2007, 08:36 PM
Artemis, ITA with you on the Battle of the Brians. It was the best ever as far as I'm concerned. Thank you for mentioning it. I was thinking of it as I was reading the other posts! I do like both Yags and Plushy and think they drove each other to be better though.

Lark
04-11-2007, 12:57 PM
I'd certainly never pick these two as the "best ever" rivalry, if for no other reason than the fact that, although they were both amazing on the ice, they left a lot to be desired in the off-ice department. Esp. re: sportship.

For me, my fave mens rivalry ever has to be the battle(s) of the Brians.

I was not a fan of figure skating in general when the Battle of the Brians occured. I am speaking more from a reference of since I have been watching skating (1994).

As for Yags and Plushy not being someones cup of tea due to their off ice dislike of each other, that just doesn't affect me. If I let that affect me, I would have to discount anyone who leads a lifestyle that I do not agree with.

I adore Surya, even though she is possibly the biggest spoilsport in figure skating.

I do agree that Takahashi could very well be the man to beat in the future. Joubert was verrryyyyy lucky in Tokyo at Worlds this year.

Scarlett21
04-12-2007, 05:18 AM
Well, as far as i know,Plushy is too occupied now:D
He has become a good showman and he told that he wants to return only cause he doesn't want to loose his popularity. His fisical shape is bad now. He is the main hero of all Russian mass-media. He is divorsing with his wife and is going to marry one more time...........................
I am sure that even if he returns he will ail and this failure will be great.
And one more thing:he is loosing his fans even in Russia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:lol: :lol: :lol:
He is a hero of the past..........

Lark
04-12-2007, 10:43 AM
Scarlett, bitter much? Why do you seem to hate Plushy on such a personal level? Have you even met the man?

WannabeS8r
04-12-2007, 04:22 PM
I find Scarlett21's statement about Plushenko rather ridiculous. He is definitely not loosing his fans - he's making the sport a big hit in his country! Figure skating is considerably the most popular sport in Russia, apart from skiing, and Evgeny is the main star of the show. Also, I would appreciate it if you could enlighten us on your definition of "fisical shape".

And in fact, Plushenko is back.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18044824/ I believe there is also a Youtube video of his coach, Mishin, explaining his comeback next season.

Even if Plushenko doesn't completely dominate all the Men's titles, there are young skaters right now in Mishin's hands. For example, one of them, 13-year-old Artur Gachinsky, is working on his quadruple toe. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2J6qgW6dDE Plushenko now is not the only one who can do a Biellmann spin! :D

Scarlett21
04-16-2007, 06:37 AM
I understand that it's rather difficult to believe that Plushy is out. I don't hate him, i just want to say what is happening in our figure-skating. Plushy is considered to be a politician rather then a sportsman in Russia now. He was elected to S-Pet. parlament with a scandal.
Our famous coaches are sure that he is our past but not future.

WannabeS8r
04-16-2007, 03:37 PM
I understand that it's rather difficult to believe that Plushy is out. I don't hate him, i just want to say what is happening in our figure-skating. Plushy is considered to be a politician rather then a sportsman in Russia now. He was elected to S-Pet. parlament with a scandal.
Our famous coaches are sure that he is our past but not future.

I am aware of his part in the parliament and everything else, but how do you explain the interview with Mishin which clearly states Plushenko is coming back to compete once again? Obviously, it is not a fact that he will dominate the sport like in the past years, but his future 'career' is rather unpredictable especially since he's starting seriously training now.

Scarlett21
04-17-2007, 08:42 AM
I am aware of his part in the parliament and everything else, but how do you explain the interview with Mishin which clearly states Plushenko is coming back to compete once again? Obviously, it is not a fact that he will dominate the sport like in the past years, but his future 'career' is rather unpredictable especially since he's starting seriously training now.

But i can't believe that he is able to start training hard again.
In any case, Russia shouldn't rely on him,our coaches should look for young talented skaters in my opinion