View Full Version : New scoring system - extra points?

cathrl
03-04-2007, 10:55 AM
I'm sure I heard the commentators say that as well as the -1s we see all the time for falls, overrunning the time limit etc., it's also possible for judges to award a +1 for something exceptional.

Has this ever happened? If so, what for?

sk8er08
03-10-2007, 07:43 PM
i have never heard of that! that will be interesting to see sometime. maybe they just mean the grade of execution. like the base value then they add or take away like normal. maybe you just heard it wrong. but maybe not!

Lark
03-10-2007, 09:51 PM
I'm sure I heard the commentators say that as well as the -1s we see all the time for falls, overrunning the time limit etc., it's also possible for judges to award a +1 for something exceptional.

What would be considered "exceptional"? I thought anything "exceptional" would garner a Level 4.

NoVa Sk8r
03-10-2007, 10:28 PM
Level 4 is awarded to any element where the skater has hit 4 bullet points for features (including ones that are mandatory for the level 4 feature).

For moves that have not been done before (and that are not illegal by nature) AND that are worth doing (i.e. exceptional), the technician may award a +1 bonus point. For example, if Code of Points had been around in the late '70s, Denis Biellmann may have gotten +1 for the Biellmann spin (though it reportedly had been invented much earlier).

And maybe the Protopopovs would have garnered a +1 bonus point for their love spiral, cosmic spiral, and life spiral (forward outside, back inside, and forward inside death spiral, respectively) that they invented in the '50s.

slusher
03-11-2007, 11:42 AM
At lower level comps, bonus points were awarded for trying specified difficult elements to offset the deduction that might result if they fell and to encourage skaters to try harder moves. That old "reasonable attempt" thing in a different suit. So, at I think juvie men, anyone who tried a double axel got a bonus of 1.0 point, and I think it was also a bonus for triples at pre-novice, I'd have to go to SC to look it up.

For junior and senior events though, it's only give for new moves invented, as NovaSkater says. New moves, not difficult variations on existing moves, that would just increase the level.

frbskate63
03-11-2007, 01:12 PM
I'm not aware of anyone at senior level who's actually been awarded a bonus point yet. They're probably all having to put too much effort into getting the maximum levels for everything to have time to come up with innovative moves as well.

Fiona

jinglebells
03-11-2007, 09:36 PM
I have seen some innovative moves in Junior dance and have yet to see a bonus point awarded!!!!!

Lark
03-11-2007, 09:51 PM
I think they should give 2 points extra to any Lady who manages not to do a Bielman in any way, shape or form during the LP! LOL :bow:

jinglebells
03-11-2007, 11:11 PM
I think they should give 2 points extra to any Lady who manages not to do a Bielman in any way, shape or form during the LP! LOL :bow:

Agreed!!!

How about adding to the list, a bonus if there is a different spin for each of the od and free, oh and even a further bonus if it is not the same spin as the previous year??

katiepeach
03-12-2007, 04:00 PM
At lower level comps, bonus points were awarded for trying specified difficult elements to offset the deduction that might result if they fell and to encourage skaters to try harder moves. That old "reasonable attempt" thing in a different suit. So, at I think juvie men, anyone who tried a double axel got a bonus of 1.0 point, and I think it was also a bonus for triples at pre-novice, I'd have to go to SC to look it up.

For junior and senior events though, it's only give for new moves invented, as NovaSkater says. New moves, not difficult variations on existing moves, that would just increase the level.

Yeah I think you are right. In juvenile, 2axel or higher gets a bonus point. In pre-novice, any triple gets a bonus point. In novice, 3loop or higher gets a bonus point. The jumps just have to be rotated, it doesn't matter if they fall. So sometimes in pre-novice, where a fall is only a deduction of .5, it makes sense to attempt a triple instead of a double, even if you know you will fall, as long as you are sure that you will rotate it.

Exaplanation: A fallen triple salchow is worth 4.5, with a -3 GOE, so its worth 1.5 points. A bonus of 1.00 pts and the deduction of .5 makes the entire jump worth 2.00 pts. A double salchow is worth 1.3 pts, and it is rare for these levels to get +GOE's on jumps, so this would probably be worth 1.5 pts max. (I don't say this to be mean, but looking at all of the ladies pre-novice lps form jr. nats, the only +GOE on a jump is Alexandra Najarro's 2axel)

Isk8NYC
03-13-2007, 02:40 PM
I used to coach swimming and one league had a rather complex scoring method. Swimmers in certain lanes didn't count, second swims for each girl were "unofficial", and the points varied by racetype (ind/relay).

Being math-challenged, I spent some time after a few meets working the results to figure out how the system worked. I used what I learned to make a strong lineup with my existing swimmers.

There was one coach on our team who did the scoring IN HIS HEAD during the meet. You could ask him at any point what the score was and he'd be accurate within two points. (Usually disqualifications that he missed.)

Sort of reminds me of this scoring.

Schmeck
03-14-2007, 05:35 AM
I don't think anyone has been givien a bonus point in synchronized skating, but there is certainly the opportunity there. Of course, there's the opportunity to mark everything down a few levels/not call them now too - as the TC has way too much power to manipulate the results , IMO.