View Full Version : silicon stuff to waterproof soles

peanutskates
03-04-2007, 05:16 AM
I've heard that you can use some sort of silicon gel to put around the places where the blade is joined to the sole of the boot to prevent water infiltration.

1. Where could I get some silicon for this?
2. Is there anything that can be used a substitute?
3. Does this come off easily if needed to?

thanks

sue123
03-04-2007, 09:38 AM
I don't know about silicone gel, but I use Sno-Seal, which maybe is a silicone gel? But I think that's what most people use to waterproof their soles. You can get it at any pro shop or at rainbo or something. Anywhere they sell skates and supplies, you'll pretty much always find sno seal. It's pretty easy to put on, but I don't think ti comes off per se, where you just peel it off. It ends up clear, so nobody will see it.

techskater
03-04-2007, 09:55 AM
Sno Seal is a wax. Usually, when blades are mounted, there's a silicone put in the holes to keep out water. I would guess it's a standard waterproofer you can get at a hardware store

peanutskates
03-04-2007, 10:28 AM
Well I put a little Vaseline inside the front blade mounting (you know, in the middle of the heart shape) and hopefully that will repel moisture.

My soles don't need to be waterproofed, seeing as they are rubber/plastic stuff.

do you think that skates dramatically affect a skater's performance? because my skates are like the poster skates for "what not to buy" (or so it seems... according to my sharpener) yet I still skate fairly proficiently. (I learn really quickly...) yet I am wondering whether buying proper skates (of a recognised make) when I get to around silver/gold level will improve my skating? what do you guys think?

techskater
03-04-2007, 10:36 AM
If your soles are plastic, no need to silicone the screw holes

mikawendy
03-04-2007, 12:30 PM
Sno Seal is a wax. Usually, when blades are mounted, there's a silicone put in the holes to keep out water. I would guess it's a standard waterproofer you can get at a hardware store

Yes, SnoSeal is made out of beeswax. All of the skate pros that I have met have suggested that SnoSeal works better than silicone or other products. And I don't think it's because they were trying to make money from me because they told me how I could apply SnoSeal at home and suggested a few stores where I could get extra SnoSeal if I didn't want to drive all the way out to them.

techskater
03-04-2007, 01:01 PM
You should Sno Seal and plug the holes too. At, least, that is the modus operendi of the top boot fitters here.

Team Arthritis
03-05-2007, 11:12 AM
I have suede uppers and silicon is the only thing for them. I'm also a guy and EVERYTHING you put on the black sole makes it melt and make a mess but I switched to silicon for them too because I think it penetrates the black paint better than SnowSeal ever did. ABSOLUTELY NEVER use urethane for painted sole skates because the paint makes the urethane NEVER solidify and its is a sticky mess for YEARS to come. FWIW
Lyle