View Full Version : Bootcovers (make em yourself)

peanutskates
02-16-2007, 02:01 PM
well i've decided that white boot covers look kind of stupid... so i'm probably going to get leopard print. however i'm having some doubts now... will they look stupid??? too showy? I'm level 6 skate uk (passed test:D ) and am doing 3 turns and spins (hence my siggy ;) )anyway... go for it or wait until I'm a bit better? I do need covers though, as my boots are already getting scratches etc..

peanutskates
02-16-2007, 02:08 PM
or zebra print? the stripes are vertical though :giveup:

bootcovers
02-16-2007, 03:23 PM
Would the leopard-print boot covers make you happy? Would you smile when you see them and enjoy skating in them? If so, you should wear them!

I am a 44-year old woman, and have just started skating. I've had a total of five lessons. (Yes, AOSS claims another victim!) After the first lesson, I bought a pair of skates. After the second lesson, I made a knee-length skating dress with matching boot covers out of pin-striped stretch cotton velvet (black and grey). After the fourth lesson, I made a matching helmet cover with a fluffy black fur band.

Now I'm at work on a second skating dress, which will have matching boot covers and helmet cover. I am at the ISI pre-alpha level of skating (one-foot glides), and have heard only encouraging, admiring, or amused comments from my fellow adult skaters and coaches about my skating ensemble. Your rink's atmosphere may be different, but really, unless someone else is paying your bills, you should wear what makes YOU happy!

(I wave hello to everyone, having been lurking for a couple of weeks.)

Besides, I skate with more joy than grace, but at least I can amuse or divert people by my snappy outfits, even if I can't dazzle them with "mad skating skilz."

Isk8NYC
02-16-2007, 03:29 PM
You get an A+ for creative writing and design, too. LOL

Welcome to skatingforums.com!

dbny
02-16-2007, 03:36 PM
Buy whichever boot covers you will enjoy most, but the best way to protect your skates is with skate tape. Electrical tape will work also, BTW. The only problem with taping your boots is that you have remove it and reapply it once a month to avoid staining the leather. Before taping, use a cream polish, let it dry, but don't buff it. I've seen some very clever designs done in tape.

Welcome, bootcovers! I admire you spirit. You must ask Mrs. Redboots how she chose her forum name ;).

I bought yellow, black and red flame boot covers to wear when I teach kids learn to skate, and they love them. I also have a fleece hat that ties under the chin and has animal ears on top. The kids absolutely love it, and I've had some amused comments from adults.

beachbabe
02-16-2007, 05:57 PM
if u like elaopard print i say go for it. In my opinion the patterned boot covers look really cute and if ur feet tend to get cold u can also get these special insulated boot covers that look even cuter and warm ur feet up.

patters look betetr than solid colors anyways when it comes to boot covers lol

Mrs Redboots
02-17-2007, 06:57 AM
I've always worn boot covers from the day I decided I was going to take this sport seriously! I decided that I'd far rather, until the regulars at the rink knew my name, they thought of me as "The woman with the red bootcovers" than as "That fat woman who can't skate!"

These days I have a rainbow of them, and am still in the market for orange, bottle green and deep rose, if anybody has any they don't want!

And I do find they protect my skates, but not from the nicks that ice-dancers are prone to...

Helen88
02-17-2007, 08:02 AM
Mine are bright orange, and I've only just passed level 4 :). I had this kid come up to me the other day, and go 'wow, you have pinky boot covers!'. I think if you're going to be embarrased about skating in leopard print then don't, but if you're not, go for it!

dbny
02-17-2007, 09:47 AM
I now have a one inch cut in one of my Ice Lights neoprene boot covers. Anyone know if superglue will work on it? Otherwise I can probably stitch it up, but that will show for sure. Don't know how it happened, except that it was probably one of the kids in my classes.

peanutskates
02-17-2007, 10:34 AM
lol well I don't think I'll be the most outrageous skater at my rink in leopard print boot covers... one woman is planning on dyeing her boots in pink leopard print (not sure how one would dye a skate in a pattern...but still) I would LOVE to see her skates after the dye. Anyway, I shall probably buy the boot covers tonight... thanks for all the answers and welcome, bootcovers

Mrs Redboots
02-17-2007, 12:13 PM
At least one manufacturer makes leopard-print skates; I've seen 'em! Very splendid. And gold and silver ones, too - I asked what was the point of silver ones, as who would ever want to admit they were only second?!

Of course, you could always buy beige skates and paint burberry-pattern stripes on them for the truly chav look!

peanutskates
02-17-2007, 12:32 PM
mmm chav... appealing :lol:

anyway, have just bought the leopards off eBay... will hopefully get them soon! shall post a picture here :D

Petlover
02-19-2007, 09:23 AM
One of the coaches at my rink bought leopard print skates, and they were really cool looking. Another died her skates pink and put some stickers on them!

peanutskates
02-20-2007, 10:52 AM
yay i got them and they're really cool!!!

I also saw the woman at our rink with the pink leopard print skates. very nice. she dyed them pink and put some stickers on them too. not as nice as my ones though!:P

Sessy
02-20-2007, 06:01 PM
well i've decided that white boot covers look kind of stupid... so i'm probably going to get leopard print. however i'm having some doubts now... will they look stupid??? too showy? I'm level 6 skate uk (passed test:D ) and am doing 3 turns and spins (hence my siggy ;) )anyway... go for it or wait until I'm a bit better? I do need covers though, as my boots are already getting scratches etc..

Pfft what trouble! I go through a pair of boot covers a WEEK. I make mine myself. I even patch them up with pieces of material on top, attached with zigzag stitches. They look like a total mess but protect my boots!
I have like... 8 different pairs, most black cuz that fits with anything, but also purple and white ones and stuff.

BTW, if white looks stupid, try dyeing them in strong tea! Makes em kinda offwhite and prettyer.

Bootcovers are easy enough to make even on a normal sewing machine, you don't need a lock machine. Lycra is available at markets and shops and other materials you'll need are thread and rubber bands (the easyest kind).

Emberchyld
02-20-2007, 08:23 PM
Okay, a little off-the wall here, but the other day in freestyle, a girl came on whose black over the boot tights and black legwarmers created for a second (from a distance) the illusion of knee-high black skates (or rather, bootcovers). Then she came closer and I was disappointed when I saw the lines of the legwarmers and the holes in the tights.

Being somewhat gothy/bohemian/off-the wall with my fashion outside of the corporate world, however, I thought-- how cool would it be if I could skate in black knee-high bootcovers? Then, i thought.. hmm... sueded material would be even cooler. Does something like this exist?

(of course, that would just draw more unneeded attention to me :roll: but I just looooove the thought of wearing "boots" on the ice!)

Mrs Redboots
02-21-2007, 08:37 AM
Emberchyld, if you can knit - or have someone who knits for you - I'll send you a pattern for knitted boot covers. You can make these as long as you like - I have a pair that look like black sandals with white knee socks attached!

I've also seen people make "pretend" knee-length skates by attaching (say) the leg part of an old pair of (street) boots to a pair of boot covers. Or make them out of a PVC material.

Or you could go with the black leg-warmers and black boot covers.

peanutskates
02-21-2007, 11:37 AM
hey, mrs redboots, is the knitting pattern for actual bootcovers or just legwarmers?

if it is for bootcovers, can you please email it to me? (peanutskates@hotmail.com) I knit (sometimes... still have to finish this top I'm making :roll:) but I would LOVE to make my own boot covers. as long as it's not too hard...

thank you :D

Emberchyld
02-21-2007, 12:22 PM
Emberchyld, if you can knit - or have someone who knits for you - I'll send you a pattern for knitted boot covers. You can make these as long as you like - I have a pair that look like black sandals with white knee socks attached!

I've also seen people make "pretend" knee-length skates by attaching (say) the leg part of an old pair of (street) boots to a pair of boot covers. Or make them out of a PVC material.

Or you could go with the black leg-warmers and black boot covers.

Thank you... I can barely knit (but can cast out a mean row with a crochet needle), but I'd like to give your pattern a try (cib7088@njit.edu).

I'll look into maybe attaching a stretchy material tube to regular bootcovers and see how that works, too.

(not like everyone at my rinks don't think I'm crazy as is...)

Thanks!:bow:

Mrs Redboots
02-21-2007, 02:07 PM
if it is for bootcovers, can you please email it to me?

Thank you... I can barely knit (but can cast out a mean row with a crochet needle), but I'd like to give your pattern a try

You two both have mail!

peanutskates
02-22-2007, 02:18 PM
how did you know?

:D

Emberchyld
02-22-2007, 10:22 PM
You two both have mail!

:bow: :bow: :bow:

Mrs. Redboots, you are the best!

Sessy
03-03-2007, 06:30 AM
I'm sorry for the spam but I did a little page on how to make bootcovers yourself - probably most of you ladies already have a pretty good idea anyway!

But for those who have never tried, take a look:
http://www.geocities.com/sessy_liz/bootcovers/bootcovers.html

Skip the parts in Dutch. All it says in Dutch it says in English too.

cathrl
03-03-2007, 01:21 PM
Mrs Redboots, could I please have your bootcover knitting pattern too?

I have lots and lots of bright coloured wool from making toys, and I rather fancy loudly striped bootcovers :)

Skate@Delaware
03-03-2007, 10:21 PM
I now have a one inch cut in one of my Ice Lights neoprene boot covers. Anyone know if superglue will work on it? Otherwise I can probably stitch it up, but that will show for sure. Don't know how it happened, except that it was probably one of the kids in my classes.
Not sure about the superglue, but on googling...came across this:
http://www.miracleglue.com/howneoprene.htm
which tells me that it should work (the two glues seem to be the same, don't they?)

and I also found this:
http://www.mec.ca/Main/content_text.jsp?CONTENT%3C%3Ecnt_id=1013419867322 1495&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302881785

but try the superglue first and see if that works.

slusher
03-04-2007, 10:13 AM
Would the leopard-print boot covers make you happy? Would you smile when you see them and enjoy skating in them? If so, you should wear them!

(I wave hello to everyone, having been lurking for a couple of weeks.)

Hi bootcovers!

A woman after my own heart. Wear what makes you feel good! Yeah, that's what skating is all about.

back to bootcovers, I have white fleece ones, lined with Insulate, and they're decorated like bunnies with googly eyes and ears. They were supposed to be for Canskate but I wear them when I'm feeling zany. I put a zip up the back so I don't have to take my skates off to change them. You've got me inspired about leopard now, I think I'll go sew.

Sessy
03-04-2007, 12:15 PM
Hi bootcovers!

A woman after my own heart. Wear what makes you feel good! Yeah, that's what skating is all about.

back to bootcovers, I have white fleece ones, lined with Insulate, and they're decorated like bunnies with googly eyes and ears. They were supposed to be for Canskate but I wear them when I'm feeling zany. I put a zip up the back so I don't have to take my skates off to change them. You've got me inspired about leopard now, I think I'll go sew.

Can you post a picture? I want bunny skates too!
don't the ears get in the way crossing the legs on the jumps?

Mrs Redboots
03-04-2007, 01:01 PM
Mrs Redboots, could I please have your bootcover knitting pattern too?

I have lots and lots of bright coloured wool from making toys, and I rather fancy loudly striped bootcovers :)
"You've got mail"!

I have spent the weekend knitting myself a new pair - will post a photo as soon as they are finished, possibly later tonight but more probably tomorrow. One is finished, the other has about 20 more rows to knit.

Mrs Redboots
03-05-2007, 07:50 AM
And here they are, both on and off my skates:

http://mrs-redboots.sk8rland.com/pictures/?a=thumb&i=Knit+and+crochet+pictures%2FBootcovers+on+skates .JPG

http://mrs-redboots.sk8rland.com/pictures/?a=thumb&i=Knit+and+crochet+pictures%2Fbootcovers.JPG

Hmmm - these were supposed to be images, I don't know why they are coming up as URLs, since they were images when I first started.....

sk8erel
03-05-2007, 11:01 AM

Hey its Sk8erel, i'm doing Skate UK Passport Silver, and i've been skating for nearly 2 years. My skates are scratched at the front but i'm not worried about it. My favourite boot covers are Black ones with black ankle warmers.:lol:

peanutskates
03-06-2007, 11:28 AM
mrs redboots, wow!!!!! love the boot covers

plus, your blade soakies are so cool. they have your name on them...:bow:

Madsville
03-25-2007, 01:13 PM
I so would love your pattern!! Something fun would get me thru the summer to get ready for ISI Adults......

sk8gds@yahoo.com

thanks again

Kat12
06-01-2009, 05:30 PM
Has anyone made their own boot covers from a pair of old socks? Seems like the cheapest way out there to protect boots and heaven knows I have tons of socks...I just am not sure how to prevent fraying/unraveling at the slit in the sock's sole. I'm wondering if Fray-Chek might not make the edges stiff enough that they won't stretch, unless perhaps I stretch it out fully to apply the Fray-Chek and let it dry.

Yui
06-02-2009, 01:25 AM
I was wondering if the guy who wanted the leopard print was a man or a woman. Because usually female skater's have white skates. Lol anyway. I dont know whether males wear boot covers no one does at my rink. Also gl to the guy doing silver. Im currently doing bronze skate uk. I need to got slimmer and ill start wearing new clothes. :).

katz in boots
06-02-2009, 03:25 AM
Men's skates tend to be a bit more expensive and harder to find 2nd hand, so a few guys here wear white skates. Some wear boot covers, others do not. Depends how secure they are with their sexual identity.

I make my own bootcovers. Ordinary lycra isn't tough enough for my spin technique, so I use something called jumbo lycra that I buy from Ebay, which is harder wearing. I found it pretty easy to make my own pattern.

Mrs Redboots
06-02-2009, 05:54 AM
Has anyone made their own boot covers from a pair of old socks? Seems like the cheapest way out there to protect boots and heaven knows I have tons of socks...I just am not sure how to prevent fraying/unraveling at the slit in the sock's sole. I'm wondering if Fray-Chek might not make the edges stiff enough that they won't stretch, unless perhaps I stretch it out fully to apply the Fray-Chek and let it dry.

I have never done this myself, but I have seen it done; I think the woman who did it hemmed the cut edges of her socks. That's what inspired my knitted boot covers!

Kat12
06-02-2009, 06:19 AM
Hrm. I wonder if I could hem them in a way they'd still stretch? I've heard of this being done a zillion times, but have never actually found instructions...and it's just about impossible to Google; EVERY page on skating has the words "figure skating" and "boot covers" and "socks" in it, but it's never ABOUT making figure skating boot covers FROM socks...

Sessy
06-02-2009, 06:40 AM
CLICK HERE FOR BOOTCOVER AND OTHER SEWING INSTRUCTIONS (http://www.geocities.com/sessy_liz/sewing/)

:lol::lol::lol::twisted::D

Yui
06-02-2009, 10:47 AM
Men's skates tend to be a bit more expensive and harder to find 2nd hand, so a few guys here wear white skates. Some wear boot covers, others do not. Depends how secure they are with their sexual identity.

I make my own bootcovers. Ordinary lycra isn't tough enough for my spin technique, so I use something called jumbo lycra that I buy from Ebay, which is harder wearing. I found it pretty easy to make my own pattern.

Really? At my rink the mens skates are the same price as the women skates. The colours are the same. Also, annabel if you ever come up north to nottingham tell me and we can go skating?

RachelSk8er
06-02-2009, 11:27 AM
I haven't worn boot covers since about 1994 and I refuse to ever wear them (other than the tennis shoe ones I'm making for next year's baseball interp). I have leftover trauma from when, as a kid, my synchro team had to wear bright blue skirts, leggings and bootcovers for every practice (and white turtlenecks). We looked like smurfs on ice. And my mom would buy me hideous boot covers in hot pink, neon yellow, etc (it was the early 90s, that was "in") for my private lessons that she made me wear even though boot covers were seen as totally uncool at my rink. (Ahh teenagers....)

I haven't really cared what my skates look like in years, once over the boot tights became popular (right after the boot cover days) we started wearing those for synchro (practice and competition) so there was never a need to polish my skates. Then over the boot tights became uncool, so we started taping them either tan or white for competition, so it didn't really matter what they looked like underneath the tape.

My current skates aren't protected at all, they're just over a year old and don't look bad (I quit synchro so they don't get as banged up), but if they get beat up looking before it's time for new ones, I'll paint or tape them. I've been thinking of painting or taping them tan anyway to make my legs look longer, only problem is I like tan better with some of my dresses and white better with others (and I hate over the boot tights and won't wear those, even though it would be the easy solution to that dilemma).

That being said, if someone wore leopard print boot covers (or some other sweet pattern), I would still think that person was very cool.

Skate@Delaware
06-02-2009, 11:33 AM
Hrm. I wonder if I could hem them in a way they'd still stretch? I've heard of this being done a zillion times, but have never actually found instructions...and it's just about impossible to Google; EVERY page on skating has the words "figure skating" and "boot covers" and "socks" in it, but it's never ABOUT making figure skating boot covers FROM socks...

I would think you could use a serger and overlock them (maybe even using some clear elastic); or using a regular sewing machine use a stretch-stitch (which is a triple zig-zag...each zig takes 3 stitches each zag takes 3 stitches as well). If you use a regular stitch it will not stretch.

Using fray-check won't work, it's not the individual threads that you are worried about undoing but the actual weave.

Kat12
06-02-2009, 04:56 PM
Yay, excellent idea (says the person who knows pretty much nothing about sewing)...now to see if my mom can find her sewing machine (she just moved; I don't know if she even kept the thing). I smell slit edges done with colorful thread!

Sessy
06-02-2009, 06:52 PM
Actually, I sew lycra with a regular zigzag. Works too. Just have to make it a very short stitch (1mm max), else the seam kinda "opens up" like if you would if you'd sewn with a 5 mm stitch or something.

Skate@Delaware
06-02-2009, 07:21 PM
Actually, I sew lycra with a regular zigzag. Works too. Just have to make it a very short stitch (1mm max), else the seam kinda "opens up" like if you would if you'd sewn with a 5 mm stitch or something.

Most of my earlier sewing was done on a machine with a regular zig-zag stitch (only got the fancy one recently)...you just have to practice!

MeganSchultz
06-03-2009, 11:36 AM
Oh could some one PLEASE email me the pattern to knitt boot covers? I have been looking every where for it with no luck. Thank you sooooooo much! :)

megankschultz@gmail.com