View Full Version : Right outside edges

BlueIcePlaza
03-01-2007, 04:53 PM
Just a quickie -

I'm finding that my backward CW crossovers and backwards R.O edges are struggling somewhat, and my right foot always feels on the 'loose' side (unless I do the laces up very, and uncomfortably tight).
So I'm thinking that my right foot is slightly smaller than my left.
My R.I edges however, are good - even slightly better than my L.I and L.O edges, (but have (edit) no probs with forward CCW crossovers, backward CW crossovers, inside spirals, and foward L.O spirals)

Question is - What can I do to give my right foot that bit of stability, as regards outside edges?
My coach recommends an insole, or an extra, thin sock, but as I say above my R.I edges do not present a problem.

So do I need the extra foot support, or am I perhaps lacking confidence in the R.O s?

Many thanks for any advice. :)

BIP.

doubletoe
03-01-2007, 05:28 PM
First, have your blade mounting checked, both by your coach and an experienced person at your skate shop. You might also have your feet measured at your skate shop, since they should be able to measure both width and length and see if there's a difference between your right and left feet. Finally, do you pronate on your right foot? Look at the bottoms of your shoes and see if the inside of the foot is more worn than the outside. If so, it means your ankle drops to the inside, putting the weight on the inside of your right foot. If you pronate, orthotics would be a good idea.

Mrs Redboots
03-02-2007, 09:27 AM
It's possible that that's your "bad side" - we all have one, and the only cure is to practice things twice as much on your bad side as you do on your good one! And outside edges are way scarier than inside ones, as you can't put a foot down to save yourself!

Get someone to check your blade - basically, if you can glide in a flat, straight line on one foot your blade is probably fine, but get a coach to cast an experienced eye on it when you do that.

sk8_4fun
03-02-2007, 10:16 AM
It's possible that that's your "bad side" - we all have one, and the only cure is to practice things twice as much on your bad side as you do on your good one! And outside edges are way scarier than inside ones, as you can't put a foot down to save yourself!

Get someone to check your blade - basically, if you can glide in a flat, straight line on one foot your blade is probably fine, but get a coach to cast an experienced eye on it when you do that.

I'm learning this the hard way. I can be found politely asking my right knee to bend at various times during recent skates,(I often talk to myself when I'm skating....:roll: ) and have come to conclusion that only work work working persistantly on that side, will be as strong as my left. It's definately not a boot/blade problem in my case. more like laziness lol