View Full Version : Deeside Open for UK skaters

eliza1
03-01-2007, 02:03 PM
Do any of the adult skaters in the UK know about the Deeside competition at the end of March and, if so, will they be competing?

BatikatII
03-01-2007, 04:41 PM
Hadn't heard about it so no - not competing. Haven't done my programme properly for ages (well apart from one runthrough last week) so it's not competition ready anyway.

eliza1
03-02-2007, 06:08 AM
To be honest, I only heard about it yesterday from a couple of adult skaters -- the entry deadline is Friday, 9 March. Just wondering how many entries thay might receive being that hardly any details have been posted --my program is far from being ready, however, I might just try to get myself ready over the next month because the more comps I can do the better for my nerves.....

kateskate
03-02-2007, 06:10 AM
I haven't seen any entry details anywhere. I did want to do it. I heard they were thinking of having an adult competition a while back but I've been checking for info and not found a thing. If you come across and info I would be grateful if you could let me know. I'll have another search today and see if I come across anything.

:)

NickiT
03-02-2007, 06:21 AM
No, I've not heard anything about it either. It's a shame if they are holding an open with adult classes yet nobody gets to hear about it due to poor publicity.

Nicki

kateskate
03-02-2007, 08:55 AM
Info is now on the NISA website

There appear to be no age splits in the adult comps. Only standard splits - elementary, intermediate and masters.

Mrs Redboots
03-02-2007, 09:47 AM
I'd only vaguely heard of it, via an adult skater from Hull, and didn't know when it was - no good to us, as we're at the Coupe de France that weekend, and buying the sparkling wine for our daughter's wedding when we are at it, so won't be back until the Monday night.

Isk8NYC
03-02-2007, 10:25 AM
I'd only vaguely heard of it, via an adult skater from Hull...I read this as "adult skater from HELL!" ROTFLOL

samba
03-02-2007, 10:50 AM
I have the details for the free but not the dance, if anyone wants it just pm me with your e-mail address. The contact I used is follows:

olivia.myburgh@btinternet.com

samba
03-02-2007, 11:10 AM
I have the details for the free but not the dance, if anyone wants it just pm me with your e-mail address. The contact I used is follows:

olivia.myburgh@btinternet.com

I was thinking of going for it but the adult age category is just 21+ and that's it, dont think at nearly 58 I would stand a chance against a 21 year old.

eliza1
03-02-2007, 11:43 AM
I hadn't realized there were no age groups -- kind of like the competition in Bristol in the Fall. Hmmm, just wondered if anyone would be going from here as I only found out about it yesterday....kind of tempting.

Mrs Redboots
03-02-2007, 11:51 AM
I read this as "adult skater from HELL!" ROTFLOL

Do you know this particular skater, by any chance? Actually, she's a good friend.....

I hadn't realized there were no age groups -- kind of like the competition in Bristol in the Fall. Hmmm, just wondered if anyone would be going from here as I only found out about it yesterday....kind of tempting.
Go for it - the Bristol competition's good fun, and if you place ahead of a kid, more respect.... The rest of us (except Cathrl who actually competed against her daughter!!!!) just pretended there were two classes, and just ignored the placing of the kids.

A good opener for the season, I would think - I'm looking forward to the Coupe de France for just that reason, to see how we've progressed this winter.

eliza1
03-02-2007, 12:14 PM
Thanks for the encouraging words Mrs Redboots! Wish I had known about the Le Havre competition sooner as that would have been a lovely one to try and do!! Good Luck!

cathrl
03-02-2007, 02:18 PM
Go for it - the Bristol competition's good fun, and if you place ahead of a kid, more respect.... The rest of us (except Cathrl who actually competed against her daughter!!!!) just pretended there were two classes, and just ignored the placing of the kids.

Well - I did place ahead of a kid :) But actually my class was won by an adult, my daughter came second, and the other adult in the class (other than me) came third. I'm afraid it was only me letting the adult side down :D

Bristol is great fun, and the kids that skate there, in my experience, are not the superpowered ones - they can't be, the rink's too small.

Mrs Redboots
03-04-2007, 12:24 PM
Thanks for the encouraging words Mrs Redboots! Wish I had known about the Le Havre competition sooner as that would have been a lovely one to try and do!! Good Luck!It's a bit early, though - Husband is having to go with last year's programme as he's really run out of time to rejig it. He hopes to have it rejigged by the Mountain Cup, though. Are you coming to that again this year?

Well - I did place ahead of a kid :) But actually my class was won by an adult, my daughter came second, and the other adult in the class (other than me) came third. I'm afraid it was only me letting the adult side down :DYou were fourth, though, I think?

Bristol is great fun, and the kids that skate there, in my experience, are not the superpowered ones - they can't be, the rink's too small.It is fun, and no pressure. For the kids, it's a fun competition; for the adults, it's a good warm-up for the British Adults.

eliza1
03-04-2007, 04:08 PM
Mrs Redboots, you must have me confused with someone else as I have never been to the Mountain Cup, however, have been considering it. My plan this year is to try the Oberstorf (spelling?) competition.....

Mrs Redboots
03-05-2007, 07:45 AM
Mrs Redboots, you must have me confused with someone else as I have never been to the Mountain Cup, however, have been considering it. My plan this year is to try the Oberstorf (spelling?) competition.....Ah, sorry - probably am confusing you! Or making assumptions about who you are based on your username....

Oberstdorf is great, but our favourite, always and forever, will be the Mountain Cup.

eliza1
03-05-2007, 12:41 PM
Mrs Redboots, why do you like the Mountain Cup over Oberstdorf?? Is it because it is more established, more competition or more fun??? Also, do a lot of UK skaters attend both?? Thanks!

Sonic
03-05-2007, 03:40 PM
Mrs Redboots, why do you like the Mountain Cup over Oberstdorf?? Is it because it is more established, more competition or more fun??? Also, do a lot of UK skaters attend both?? Thanks!

Hi Eliza1 - I think I met you the other day ;)
I'm (hopefully) doing the Mountain cup this year, from what I've heard it's good fun - and of course you get to spend a few days in the Alps!

S xx

eliza1
03-05-2007, 04:02 PM
Hi Sonic! Hope you all had a great skate on Saturday!! Have you thought about doing Ober.?? Will you be doing free, dance or both at the Mountain Cup??

Sonic
03-05-2007, 04:03 PM
Hi Sonic! Hope you all had a great skate on Saturday!! Have you thought about doing Ober.?? Will you be doing free, dance or both at the Mountain Cup??

hey! yeah Saturday was fun. I was contemplating doing the free skate at the mountain cup but there's no way my free skate programme will be up to it, so just doing two prelim dances. There's a free skate training camp the days before which I hope to go to, though.

S xx

2loop2loop
03-05-2007, 04:42 PM
There's a free skate training camp the days before which I hope to go to, though.

Well, there's a freeskating training camp (in case anyone else read this the way I did).

The Mountain Cup is a lot of fun, and the surroundings in the Vercors are lovely. The village is small and most of the hotels are restaurants are within yards of the rink so it's great for hanging out with other skaters between events and in the evenings. This year will be my fourth time and I would hate to ever have to miss it.

I don't qualify for Oberstdorf yet, but I went to watch last year. It's great that there is a high profile competition for adults like this and for the seasoned competitors it's a great event. The MC on the other hand is pure fun.

John

kateskate
03-05-2007, 05:23 PM
I'm going to have a go at the Mountain Cup this year as I've been told it is a lot of fun

Like 2loop2loop, I am too young for Obertsdorf this year but I will be there next year!

Mrs Redboots
03-06-2007, 06:36 AM
Mrs Redboots, why do you like the Mountain Cup over Oberstdorf?? Is it because it is more established, more competition or more fun??? Also, do a lot of UK skaters attend both?? Thanks!I think because it is more fun. It's a serious competition, but if you attend both the camp (which this year is beforehand) and the competition, it's somehow a non-stop party....

Oberstdorf is a little different in that there are only the ISU disciplines - free skating, couples' dance and pairs.

Mountain Cup has these, of course, but also compulsory figures (almost the last competition to do so), solo dance, interpretive (some of which are very funny indeed) and improvisation, and this year there is to be a couples' interpretive, which we've been told will be suitable for our free dance.

And parties!

And, of course, I can't skate at Oberstdorf, as the lowest level of dance is too high for me! And I don't do free skating.

Mrs Redboots
03-06-2007, 06:37 AM
hey! yeah Saturday was fun. I was contemplating doing the free skate at the mountain cup but there's no way my free skate programme will be up to it, so just doing two prelim dances. There's a free skate training camp the days before which I hope to go to, though.

S xxI think you should have a go at the free as well! Nothing to lose, after all....