View Full Version : Support Group: Adults Nationals 2008 - Lake Placid

LWalsh
02-22-2007, 10:07 PM
(NOW, if I only know where AN 2008 will be... :P :lol: ;) but *sigh* I'll be patient and wait for the announcement. :( )

They just announced that Lake Placid is 2008. Yippee!

TimDavidSkate
02-22-2007, 10:29 PM
Lake Placid - awesome, it would be cool to be back there again. Is there any public method of transportation on getting up there? :halo:

jazzpants
02-22-2007, 11:24 PM
They just announced that Lake Placid is 2008. Yippee!AAAAHHHH!!! BIG SURPRISE... NOT!!! :twisted: :lol: (Thank you for the news LWalsh!!!) :D

I will say this though, given the history of Adults National and Lake Placid, this is probably the best place for me to make my debut at Adults National! (Not nothing else, I finally will find out what all the hoopla about Lake Placid is all about.) :lol:

NOW I can start planning my trip... :D

(Figureskates... are you reading this??? You better get going on passing your Bronze moves and FS test!!! I look forward to meeting you.)

mr7740
02-22-2007, 11:49 PM
Lake Placid - awesome, it would be cool to be back there again. Is there any public method of transportation on getting up there? :halo:

I am pretty sure the Adirondack Trailways bus travels from NYC up to Lake Placid. I have spent a lot of time in the area and it is one of the few busses or trains that runs in the area. There was actually more public transportation in the Adirondacks 100 years ago than there is today!

TimDavidSkate
02-23-2007, 07:58 AM
I am pretty sure the Adirondack Trailways bus travels from NYC up to Lake Placid. I have spent a lot of time in the area and it is one of the few busses or trains that runs in the area. There was actually more public transportation in the Adirondacks 100 years ago than there is today!

Thanks, I also so greyhound travels up there too. 9hrs and 5 minutes 8O Round trip costs $134

mr7740
02-23-2007, 09:09 AM
Thanks, I also so greyhound travels up there too. 9hrs and 5 minutes 8O Round trip costs $134

Well at least it is a pretty ride once you get north of Lake George

TimDavidSkate
02-23-2007, 09:22 AM
Well at least it is a pretty ride once you get north of Lake George

I cant wait :halo: Whats that hotel right next to the arena? the one up on a hill

Terri C
02-23-2007, 10:06 AM
They just announced that Lake Placid is 2008. Yippee!

Woot woot!!
Now from what I've heard, LP is the DisneyWorld for figure skating!!

flo
02-23-2007, 10:23 AM
I'm renting a house for Lake Placid - a real vacation!

Hannahclear
02-23-2007, 12:05 PM
Yeeeesssssssss!!!!!!!!

Hopefully I'll be there for Silver, but I'll go back to bronze if necessary!

skaternum
02-23-2007, 12:49 PM
Yeeeesssssssss!!!!!!!!

Hopefully I'll be there for Silver, but I'll go back to bronze if necessary!
Not sure what you mean, but you can't really "go back" to a level if you've tested higher. And there's no "skating up" at AN either.

Hannahclear
02-23-2007, 03:39 PM
Yes, I know that. I'm hoping to test my Silver FS before the deadline and then skate Silver. Since I've already passed Bronze FS, I can always go back to bronze if I can't pass Silver Moves or if I don't have my axel by next year. Currently, I skate up a level to Silver.

jazzpants
02-23-2007, 05:37 PM
They just announced that Lake Placid is 2008. Yippee!I know I'm a bit late but.... who's "they"??? Where is this news posted? :??

Figureskates
02-23-2007, 05:49 PM
Bronze or no bronze, I will be there anyway since SCLP is my home club and we are host..

I usually am at the registration table and handing out the awards so you will definitely run into me....

LWalsh
02-24-2007, 06:38 AM
I know I'm a bit late but.... who's "they"??? Where is this news posted? :??

I have a friend who annouces at many competitions throughout the year. In her letter from US Skating asking about her availability for next year it had the venue listed with dates April 8-12. I don't think it's on the website anywhere yet.

Also...for those concerned about travel to LP. It is my understanding that they were building a new airport. Perhaps by then it will be done and people can fly direct. I'm going there next weekend to ski, I'll try to find out what the status is.

Terri C
02-24-2007, 06:50 AM
I have a friend who annouces at many competitions throughout the year. In her letter from US Skating asking about her availability for next year it had the venue listed with dates April 8-12. I don't think it's on the website anywhere yet.

That's right after my birthday- 4 days to be exact! Coolness!!

Also...for those concerned about travel to LP. It is my understanding that they were building a new airport. Perhaps by then it will be done and people can fly direct. I'm going there next weekend to ski, I'll try to find out what the status is.

Yes- if they had a new airport with direct flights that would be helpful and way better than driving 2 hours after flying to Albany.
Shall we start a new thread on this, guys?

herniated
02-24-2007, 02:58 PM
I am soooo excited about LP next year! I haven't been there in over 8 years. It is so beautiful there. Since I'm not going to AN this year, LP will be a treat!Yeah!!!!

jazzpants
02-24-2007, 03:43 PM
... or "Lake Plastic" as some of the locals call it... or at least that's what my DH tells me anyway...

Time to divide up the 2007 Adult Nationals from the 2008 Nationals thread!!! (ISk8NYC, if you have a chance, would you do your magic with the other Adult Nationals thread and paste the relavant on onto this thread please? Thank you!!! 8-) )

I have a friend who annouces at many competitions throughout the year. In her letter from US Skating asking about her availability for next year it had the venue listed with dates April 8-12. I don't think it's on the website anywhere yet. Thanks for the notice!!! (Yeah, I've learned a LOOOOONG time ago to be careful about getting the source of info on stuff like this...) :roll:

Also...for those concerned about travel to LP. It is my understanding that they were building a new airport. Perhaps by then it will be done and people can fly direct. I'm going there next weekend to ski, I'll try to find out what the status is.Okay, I see two airports listed in Wikipedia that are supposedly nearby. There's an airport at Adirondack Regional Airport (http://www.saranaclake.com/airport/airlineinfo.html) in Saranac Lake and another one at Lake Placid Airport (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Placid_Airport), which is south of the village. Is there a THIRD airport that's being built, or are they expanding one of the two that I mentioned here?

I'd rather take the option of flying into Saranac Lake if there are airport shuttles from whichever hotels I'm staying in at Lake Placid, especially if the hotel is within walking distance of the rink, but who knows. :)

Speaking of hotels, what's recommended? I know skaternum would suggest that I avoid the "death trap" elevator in the Northwoods Inn. Any opinions on the following:

Best Western Golden Arrow Inn
Art Devlin Motor Inn
Mountain View Inn

Isk8NYC
02-24-2007, 07:13 PM
Time to divide up the 2007 Adult Nationals from the 2008 Nationals thread!!! (ISk8NYC, if you have a chance, would you do your magic with the other Adult Nationals thread and paste the relavant on onto this thread please? Thank you!!! 8-) )As you wish, Jazz!

DH and I took the kids to LP a few years ago and stayed just outside town in a Best Western. It was okay, but you had to drive in and find parking - it was too far to walk. (Especially with four skate bags) If you have a car available, there are a number of places to eat and shop outside town.

When I used to go annually in January, I once stayed at a little B&B up the hill from the Olympic Center, which was very nice. The Hilton was a long walk in the snow with skates & costumes, but the Holiday Inn was right up the icy, slippery hill. Convenient, except when you were tired. Mirror Lake Inn is (I think) luxurious, but a long walk from the skating center.

Terri C
02-24-2007, 07:57 PM
I'd rather take the option of flying into Saranac Lake if there are airport shuttles from whichever hotels I'm staying in at Lake Placid, especially if the hotel is within walking distance of the rink, but who knows. :)

From what I've checked, flying into Saranac Lake would involve changing planes not once, but twice. Not a good option when you are flying with skates!

Speaking of hotels, what's recommended? I know skaternum would suggest that I avoid the "death trap" elevator in the Northwoods Inn. Any opinions on the following:

Best Western Golden Arrow Inn
Art Devlin Motor Inn
Mountain View Inn

Right now, while I will have to take the Bronze free test to go to AN (and *it* will happen in May!) I'll be looking into Art Devlin's place as soon as I pass my Bronze free!

NoVa Sk8r
02-24-2007, 08:28 PM
I've often heard LP described as a magical and mythical place, so I am definitely looking forward to AN next year. (As a former upstate NY inhabitant), I had and have always wanted to visit the place. 8-)

Another transportation option for those nearby and so inclined is Amtrak, whose Adirondack Line goes near LP (I believe there is a shuttle that takes you to LP).

skaternum
02-24-2007, 09:07 PM
Both times I've been to AN, I flew into Albany and took a rental car. If you coordinate with another skater or two, it can be fairly reasonable.

As Jazz mentioned, I had a horrible experience at the Northwoods Inn and will never go back to it. Swiss Acres is cheap, but you definitely need a car. Rooms are not great, but it's cheap and pretty clean. I'd try to stay within walking distance of the Olympic center, but the village is so small that nothing is really too far away.

I'm really envious. I was hoping that AN would be at Lake Placid in 2009 or 2010, so I can play too. :( It's a fabulous place for AN.

mikawendy
02-24-2007, 09:33 PM
I am soooo excited about LP next year! I haven't been there in over 8 years. It is so beautiful there. Since I'm not going to AN this year, LP will be a treat!Yeah!!!!

This is totally OP, but I love your screen name, herniated! :lol: (I hope it doesn't refer to your current state, however!)

newskaker5
02-25-2007, 01:43 AM
Does anyone know the deadline for testing a level for AN 2008? I havent started testing yet, but I have all the skills for pre-bronze and bronze MIF and FS, just need to polish and test - Id love to plan on this meet since it isnt too far away.

Isk8NYC
02-25-2007, 07:39 AM
This year's AN takes place in mid-April and the tests were due by January 15th, so you could assume that passing your tests by December 2007 will be plenty of time for the 2008 AN's. (The 2008 competition dates are April 8-12, a bit earlier than this year.)

That said, be aware that not every Club offers tests in December because of the hectic holiday season and demand for ice time.

If you're not sure you'll pass on one try, remember that you have to wait about a month before you can retest.

Hannahclear
02-25-2007, 08:19 AM
Does anyone know the deadline for testing a level for AN 2008? I havent started testing yet, but I have all the skills for pre-bronze and bronze MIF and FS, just need to polish and test - Id love to plan on this meet since it isnt too far away.

Maybe get pre-bronze out of the way this spring, if you are just about ready? Then you have more time for Bronze Moves and FS. Polishing for pre-bronze doesn't have to be too extreme. I'm sure your coach could tell you if you are ready or not.

newskaker5
02-25-2007, 08:51 AM
Thank you all for the advice - thats what I was thinking - pre-bronze in the spring and bronze over the summer. I'll talk w him about it this week :)

herniated
02-25-2007, 09:45 AM
This is totally OP, but I love your screen name, herniated! :lol: (I hope it doesn't refer to your current state, however!)
Thanks! It is also my screen name for USFSA discussion board. I was trying to use some kind of skater name but whatever I thought of was all ready used. And, yes I do have a herniated disc but it is not bothering me at the moment!! Hopefully it will stay calm in 2008!! By the way what does 'OP' mean?

phoenix
02-25-2007, 10:46 AM
By the way what does 'OP' mean?

OP=Original Poster

I think Mika meant to write OT, which means Off Topic.

mikawendy
02-25-2007, 01:44 PM
OP=Original Poster

Yup, thanks for correcting that. I was very tired because I had just worked at a 9-hour test session, before which I had skated (I wasn't going to go to a rink for 9 hours and not skate at all!), before which I had gone to get my vehicle emissions test done.

Anyways, something that is on topic--if the test deadline for AN 2008 is sometime in December 07, you might be able to find test sessions at a larger club that is not your home club. Some large clubs seem to offer a ton of test sessions.

herniated
02-25-2007, 07:09 PM
OP=Original Poster

Thanks, I'm new to all this computer stuff!:lol:

Mel On Ice
02-26-2007, 10:56 AM
I have to say I'm disappointed but not surprised that our club's bid was turned down since that would mean a 5th year in midwestern section. We'll apply again next year if our board approves reapplying.

Plus, it would be nice to compete at LP.

flo
02-26-2007, 11:34 AM
We've always rented a car and driven up. Also last year I took my dog, who had a blast!

flying~camel
02-26-2007, 12:03 PM
I have to say I'm disappointed but not surprised that our club's bid was turned down since that would mean a 5th year in midwestern section. We'll apply again next year if our board approves reapplying.

Plus, it would be nice to compete at LP.

ITA, Mel! We put so much work into that bid and it was disappointing to get turned down, but I think we'll get the approval to reapply for 2009!

jenlyon60
02-26-2007, 12:44 PM
Flying into Albany would probably be substantially cheaper than flying into Adirondack Regional or Lake Placid airport. Adirondack Regional is a commuter-only airport (it has 2 flights per weekday into Albany and 3 flights per weekday into Plattsburgh, 1 flight on Saturdays to Plattsburgh/Boston and 2 flights on Sunday to Plattsburgh).

Lake Placid airport has charter flights only, no scheduled air service, per their website.

On previous trips to Lake Placid, I've stayed at the Placid Bay Inn, which is about 1 mile from the arena, on Saranac Ave. Nothing fancy but comfortable (for my tastes). Considering that when I'm up at LP, I'm not spending much time in my lodgings, as long as the bed is comfortable and there's plenty of hot water, that's fine by me. Last year for the Ice Dance Competition, a bunch of us went together and rented a townhouse for the week. That worked out real well. It was also a couple miles from the arena, but we had plenty of space, and were able to do our own meals/snacks if we wanted.

jazzpants
02-26-2007, 02:01 PM

Plus, it would be nice to compete at LP.Admittedly, I secretly was hoping out of your club and Lake Placid that your club would get the bid. I did the math and it's signficantly cheaper for me to go to your club than to go into Lake Placid. However, I was NOT surprised that Lake Placid got the bid. (Thus the comment I made about "finding out what all the hoopla about Lake Placid is about.")

Doubletoe... I hope your club would put in a bid! My club couldn't... we only have one sheet of ice. :cry:

Off to find more hotels... ;)

Mel On Ice
02-26-2007, 10:29 PM
and the party at my house would be worth the trip

flutzilla1
02-27-2007, 02:51 PM
YAY! Can't wait until LP when I can finally compete in Bronze Group III! :)

Debbie S
02-27-2007, 04:09 PM
YAY! Can't wait until LP when I can finally compete in Bronze Group III! :)Well, glad to see someone's looking forward to aging up - lol. I'll be a III next year, too, but from what I've seen at adult comps and heard about AN, III is usually the most competitive level. And I am so non-competitive anyway, I'm sure I'll look even worse in III than I do now. :oops:

Truthfully, I'm not really as into AN as I once was, so I doubt I'll be there next year. When I calculated how much money AN costs (figuring entry fees, hotel, car rental, daily expenses, etc), I realized it's just not worth it to me, esp when I think about what else that amount of money could be used for. I could technically drive to Lake Placid (esp since other travel options seem a bit inconvenient, based on what I'm reading here), but it would take an entire day (meaning add an extra 2 days on to the trip, total). It's just not worth the hassle or the expense to skate for a minute and a half and come in last. I'm sure Lake Placid is beautiful, but I've never really had a desire to go there. Although you never know, I might change my mind by next year, but I doubt it.

jazzpants
02-27-2007, 04:33 PM
YAY! Can't wait until LP when I can finally compete in Bronze Group III! :)YAAAAAY!!! Bronze Ladies Group III are gonna ROCK in Lake Plastic!!! 8-)

Mel On Ice... doesn't mean the bubbly can't make its way to Lake Placid, you know... ;)

skaternum
02-27-2007, 05:53 PM
Truthfully, I'm not really as into AN as I once was, so I doubt I'll be there next year. When I calculated how much money AN costs (figuring entry fees, hotel, car rental, daily expenses, etc), I realized it's just not worth it to me, esp when I think about what else that amount of money could be used for.Would someone in the vicinity please go collect Debbie S's AOSS membership card? We'll change the door locks from here. :lol:

sexyskates
02-27-2007, 08:35 PM
DebbieS - Not into AN? It is the ultimate adult skating experience! And the facility at Lake Placid makes you feel like you are at the Olympics! You should do an interpretive in addition to your free skate so that you have more than just your 1:40 out there. Also, rooting for your friends, watching the higher levels (awesome masters!), and the party on Saturday night are a must!

Debbie S
02-27-2007, 09:21 PM
Hey guys, I'm not trying to criticize anyone or belittle AN, I'm just stating my own opinion. If AN were held close by, I'm sure I'd go, but when you factor in the cost of travel to a distant locale, I decided that it just isn't worth it. And right now anyway, I'm really focusing more on finishing the moves tests (Silver and Gold) than on competing FS. And I'm sure Gold MIF (if I ever pass Silver) will take me a long time.

flutzilla1
03-02-2007, 10:47 AM
Well, glad to see someone's looking forward to aging up - lol. I'll be a III next year, too, but from what I've seen at adult comps and heard about AN, III is usually the most competitive level.

Bronze II did not have a qualifier last year and Bronze III did, but after seeing a back-catchfoot/half Biellman spin, flying camel, lutz/loop/loop and flip loop loop in just the top 2 programs alone in Bronze II when I competed at AN last year, I personally do not feel that it is any less competitive a group than the III group. Either way, I'm still excited about being in III because I (a) won't be the oldest in the II or the I/II groups anymore and (b) almost all my friends are in the III groups at various levels so I am psyched I have finally 'graduated' to be a member of their III club. :)

Ice T
03-03-2007, 08:10 PM
I totally support you Flutzilla! Welcome to age group III.

jazzpants
03-03-2007, 08:27 PM
I totally support you Flutzilla! Welcome to age group III.Flutzilla... welcome to the "Desperate Housewives" age group!!! :twisted: :P :bow: :lol:

Mrs Redboots
03-04-2007, 12:35 PM
Flutzilla... welcome to the "Desperate Housewives" age group!!! :twisted: :P :bow: :lol:

Please, dear, not when I've a mouthful of tea!

flutzilla1
03-04-2007, 12:37 PM
Flutzilla... welcome to the "Desperate Housewives" age group!!! :twisted: :P :bow: :lol:

Thank you jazzpants and IceT! I am very happy to be a part of the fabulous III ladies' group!

Terri C
03-04-2007, 01:55 PM
When I pass my Bronze free this year, that will make me one of the elder statesmen (agewise!) in Bronze III at AN'08!

Mel On Ice
03-04-2007, 07:27 PM
Jazz, if I'm at AN, be it Grand Rapids or Lake Placid, there will always be a bottle or three of champagne on ice.

jazzpants
03-04-2007, 08:01 PM
Jazz, if I'm at AN, be it Grand Rapids or Lake Placid, there will always be a bottle or three of champagne on ice.
*hic* :oops: :halo:

herniated
04-15-2007, 07:44 AM
Did anyone hear more news regarding AN in Lake Placid in 2008? Especially you guys who were in Chicago? If so what are the dates?

Thanks!! And congrats to all!!

Isk8NYC
04-15-2007, 08:40 AM
From the USFSA Governing Action Request for Action:

2008 US Adult Nationals
Lake Placid
April 8th to 12th, 2008

badaxel
04-15-2007, 09:53 AM
Hey guys, I'm not trying to criticize anyone or belittle AN, I'm just stating my own opinion. If AN were held close by, I'm sure I'd go, but when you factor in the cost of travel to a distant locale, I decided that it just isn't worth it. And right now anyway, I'm really focusing more on finishing the moves tests (Silver and Gold) than on competing FS. And I'm sure Gold MIF (if I ever pass Silver) will take me a long time.

DebbieS- I see your point about wanting to work on other things, and to be honest, I felt that competing at AN this year was holding me back a little, too. I was spending so much time working on my axel that I wasn't doing anything else. I have to say, it really was worth all of the work and expense and everything. Competing at AN and watching everyone else compete was such an incredible experience. And, this is coming from someone who came in dead last! I totally encourage you to go, even if it's just once. It's really worth it.

Jennifer28
10-22-2007, 08:28 AM
Hi everyone! Does anyone have any idea when the 2008 AN announcement for LP will be out? Also for anyone who has been to LP, do you know of any close and really CHEAP hotels near the rink facility? Thank you.

Thin-Ice
10-22-2007, 08:40 AM
Word is the announcement will be out mid-November which is later than usual. Not sure why the delay.. just what I was told when I called USFS... so maybe it's because whoever has to certify the announcement has been out at all the Regionals?

Jennifer28
11-05-2007, 11:03 AM
Hi everyone. Does anyone know or for those of you who've been to Lake Placid for Adult Nationals: where does the shuttle from the airport drop you off at (which hotel)? Or does it run just from the airport to the rink? And how much did you pay for a round trip fare? Thank you everyone, I can't find the announcement but I would like to make my plans early before things fill up.:idea:

coskater64
11-05-2007, 12:52 PM
The announcement will be out soon, there might be a few changes on it.

Leslie:twisted: :halo:

jazzpants
11-05-2007, 02:43 PM
The announcement will be out soon, there might be a few changes on it.

Leslie:twisted: :halo:Oh, dear! Hope it doesn't impact me... 8O