View Full Version : 1995 canadian junior championships

coppertop1
02-23-2007, 07:40 PM
does anyone know wehre I can find information on the 1995 canadian junior championships? the Skate Canada website only goes back as far as 96/97?

axis
02-23-2007, 10:36 PM
There was no Junior National Championships before 1997, I believe. Novice level and up competed at the Canadian Championships, while there was no national event for Pre Novice(Canadian equivalent to Intermediate) and Juvenile events.

coppertop1
02-24-2007, 04:47 PM
There was no Junior National Championships before 1997, I believe. Novice level and up competed at the Canadian Championships, while there was no national event for Pre Novice(Canadian equivalent to Intermediate) and Juvenile events.

that doesnt seem right though, Jennifer Robinson, Angela Derochie and Keyla Ohs were canadian junior champs and that was before 97. Robinson in 94, Derochie in 92 and Ohs in 93

axis
02-25-2007, 02:03 AM
Oh, you mean Junior level results of the Canadian Championships, rather than Junior National Championships. The word "Junior" is too often confused between the competitive level and event title. Sorry, can't help you on that one.

FantAsia
02-25-2007, 02:20 AM
does anyone know wehre I can find information on the 1995 canadian junior championships? the Skate Canada website only goes back as far as 96/97?

This has the medalists ... http://www.skatecanada.ca/en/events_results/results/archives/championships_results.pdf

Virtualsk8r
02-25-2007, 09:52 AM
There has been a problem with the name of the lower level championships since its inception.....Originally, 'Tomorrow's Champions" was the name given to the national qualifying competition that Juvenile, Pre-Novice skaters went to.....Then someone at Skate Canada decided that Novice level skaters shouldn't be at the real Canadians, and so included Juvenile - Novice in the new improved 'Junior National' championships. Funny title for an event that has no Junior level skaters though, and has caused confusion with everyone in and out of the sport.

Try telling your friends that you competed at Jr Nationals -- and they get a stupid look on their face like - what do you mean Junior - I thought you were Pre-Novice etc.. Or try saying you compete at the Junior level at Canadians, and people think you mean Jr Nationals, not the big Canadians!!!

axis
02-25-2007, 12:46 PM
So true, Virtualsk8er! It's pretty ridiculous how much confusion there is, even from people with good skating knowledge. I have to admit though that I wasn't crazy about the title "Tomorrow's Champions". It just didn't seem to emphasize the eminence of the event. Once they get rid of the qualifying rounds, they should try to get all events somehow incorporated into one competition along with Junior and Senior. Tough logistics, but maybe they could trim back the number of skaters that qualify in each event...

coppertop1
02-25-2007, 03:11 PM
thanks for the link and the clarification. I knew tehre had to be something along that line, because as I said there were junior champions before 97. Yeah that is confusing. I think maybe they should lift or modify the age restriction, it makes no sense that skaters who have all the talent and are ready for worlds can't go because of their age so ahve to wait, and might lose their raw potential. Some skaters are ready to go to worlds at 14 others not until they're in their 20s, it's more about development.

coppertop1
02-25-2007, 03:14 PM
Oh, you mean Junior level results of the Canadian Championships, rather than Junior National Championships. The word "Junior" is too often confused between the competitive level and event title. Sorry, can't help you on that one.

that's ok. ok I'm a bit confused now. Yeah that's what I mean, sorry I should have been more clear

axis
03-19-2007, 11:21 AM
thanks for the link and the clarification. I knew tehre had to be something along that line, because as I said there were junior champions before 97. Yeah that is confusing. I think maybe they should lift or modify the age restriction, it makes no sense that skaters who have all the talent and are ready for worlds can't go because of their age so ahve to wait, and might lose their raw potential. Some skaters are ready to go to worlds at 14 others not until they're in their 20s, it's more about development.

Coppertop, I completely agree with you about the age restrictions on skaters going to Worlds and Olympics. It seems ridiculous to me that some of the best skaters in the world can't compete because they are too young. IT IS SUPPOSED TO BE ABOUT THE BEST, not based on age. The ISU needs to seriously re-think their strategy. Mao Asada and Yu-Na kim have already started going downhill. Yet they both had a legitimate shot at winning the Worlds and Olympics last year. How unfair. I've heard the arguments about not pushing kids too soon, etc, but that's not what sports is about. It's about being the best in your discipline. Ask anyone from East Germany and the Soviet Union. You may not agree with their measures, but no one could argue that they usually produced the BEST.

coppertop1
03-19-2007, 01:38 PM
Coppertop, I completely agree with you about the age restrictions on skaters going to Worlds and Olympics. It seems ridiculous to me that some of the best skaters in the world can't compete because they are too young. IT IS SUPPOSED TO BE ABOUT THE BEST, not based on age. The ISU needs to seriously re-think their strategy. Mao Asada and Yu-Na kim have already started going downhill. Yet they both had a legitimate shot at winning the Worlds and Olympics last year. How unfair. I've heard the arguments about not pushing kids too soon, etc, but that's not what sports is about. It's about being the best in your discipline. Ask anyone from East Germany and the Soviet Union. You may not agree with their measures, but no one could argue that they usually produced the BEST.

I agree, Axis. Also, look at Kwan and Tara Lipinski who won worlds before age 16, and Sarah Hughes who was on the podium at age 15. That's when I think both were in their prime. The fact is skaters develop at a different ages. Some skaters like Arakawa get better when they're older. Others are at their peak at an early age. It's tough to say whether Yu-Na Kim and Asada would have won olympics, as Arakawa was beautiful and deserved it but the podium might have looked different. Asada had already beaten Cohen and Slutskaya. Some kids are ready to compete and the big leagues at 14 and they should be allowed, at the very least it's valuable experience.