View Full Version : Who cancelled the NAC's events???

Virtualsk8r
02-23-2007, 06:52 PM
I was just on the unseen skaters forum and read that at US Nationals the Novice parents were told at a meeting that there would be no NAC's this year---and when the parents complained, a USFSA official blamed it on Canada. They said that Canada no longer wanted to participate and was plannig to use other methods of aiding its developmental skaters.

When I was at the Canadian championships this year -- I heard unofficially from Skate Canada people -- that the USFSA no longer wanted to do NAC's - and only did them last year because Canada complained it was too late to cancel.

So anyone out there know the truth? The NAC's events were great motivators for skaters on both sides, and some very prominent skaters received their first international through NACS.

Lark
02-24-2007, 10:44 AM
What does NAC stand for?

Clarice
02-24-2007, 12:26 PM
NACS stands for North American Challenge Skate. It was a series for young skaters from the US, Canada and Mexico. I'm not sure of the levels - mostly Novice, I think?

Virtualsk8r
02-24-2007, 02:09 PM
Sorry - North American Challenge Skate was started about 10 years ago for Pre-Novice and Novice level singles, pairs and dance skaters. In later years, Junior level skaters were also invited. Each country chose usually 3 skaters or teams at each level. There were two competitions - one in the USA and one in Canada - each year and the events were split between the two competititons. Sometimes skaters from Mexico were included. The NACS competition was piggybacked on to an existing summer competition, so the cost and organization wasn't that great.

Here are some skaters that got their international start at a NACS event. Take a look at the list - US and Skate Canada officials - and tell me that they weren't successful enough in developing skaters...... This list is from the USFSA website and are only Americans. Don;'t have a list of Canadians.

Ladies

Sasha Cohen: 1998 North American Challenge Skate (Lake Placid) - 1st

Ann Patrice McDonough: 1997 North American Challenge Skate (Lake Placid) - 1st

Beatrisa Liang: 1999 North American Challenge Skate (Vancouver) - 1st

Jennifer Kirk: 1998 North American Challenge Skate (Lakd Placid) - 2nd
Men

Johnny Weir: 1998 North American Challenge Skate (Winnipeg) - 1st

Scott Smith: 1997 North American Challenge - 1st

Evan Lysacek: 1999 North American Challenge Skate (Toronto) - 1st

Jordan Brauninger: 2001 North American Challenge Skate-Junior (Burnaby) - 3rd

Pairs

Amy Howerton/Steven Pottenger: 2000 North American Challenge Skate (Kitchener) - 1st; 1999 North American Challenge Skate (Vancouver) - 3rd

Brittany Vise/Nicholas Kole: 2001 North American Challenge Skate (Minto) - 1st

Dance

Ben Agosto (with former partner Katy Hill): 1997 North American Challenge Skate (St. Paul) - 1st

Loren Galler-Rabinowitz/David Mitchell: 1999 North American Challenge Skate (Toronto) - 1st

lotusland
02-24-2007, 06:07 PM
Don't want to nit-pick but, the North American Challenge began in 1997 as 2 events (St. Paul & Lake Placid), in 1998 it was expanded to 4 events (Winnipeg, Memramcook, San Jose & Lake Placid), it stayed a 4 event competition through the summer of 2003, after which it was reduced in 2004 back to 2 events (Waterloo & San Jose for 2004, Pierrefonds & Kansas City for 2005 and finally Burnaby & Pittsburgh in 2006).

Beginning in 1997 as an event for Novice Singles, Pairs and Dance only, Junior Dance was added in 1999 to 2 of the four events, and in 2000 Junior Dance was reduced to 1 event while Junior Pairs was added to 1 event. In 2001 Junior Ladies and Men were finally included with each Junior discipline going to a different event.

I guess you know the rest.

Virtualsk8r
02-25-2007, 09:55 AM
Now that we've cleared that up....I would still love to know what happened to the NAC"s events.. Anyone else frustated that they appear to be cancelled or have any reason why?

Sylvia
02-26-2007, 08:13 AM
I personally don't think it's productive for either USFSA or Skate Canada to "blame" each other if, in fact, the NACS will no longer be held. It should be noted that neither organization has made any official, public announcement via their respective web sites re. NACS to date.

From what I have observed, the NACS appeared to be in the process of being phased out/cut back slowly in recent years. For a while there used to be 4 NACS competitions each summer (with Mexico sending a few skaters) and MANY more singles skaters and pairs/dance teams were invited back in the good ol' days.

We'll just have to wait and see if any public announcement will be made re. NACS. In my view, the "writing has been on the wall" for a while now that NACs would not continue to happen forever... mainly because both USFSA and Skate Canada are reportedly both dealing with budget cuts, etc.

It is certainly a shame for the young skaters of both countries if NACS opportunities are no more.

bzbvr
03-03-2007, 10:05 AM
See announcement on USFS website.

http://www.usfigureskating.org/MemberNews.asp?sid=37839

"Skate Canada and U.S. Figure Skating jointly decided that they could provide better opportunities for their novice national competitors through other venues. "