View Full Version : Catch-foot spins!

WannabeS8r
02-19-2007, 02:56 PM
I literally hate these. I cannot spin more than 3-4 revs. in this position (like a spiral-y position if you know what I mean). I always get on my toe pick when I grab my blade behind me so the spin goes very slow. :frus: Any tips, please?

kayskate
02-19-2007, 06:54 PM
So you are grinding to stop on your pick? Still 3-4 revs is not bad. Sounds like you can get the position, but it throws you off your sweet spot. Personally, I would put my hand on my back first and hold that position, bend the leg and hold, etc. I tried various bits of the spin before pulling it all together. At each stage, I kept my sweet spot. Doing a camel w/ both hands on your back is a good exercise. Catch-foot spins are tough. Don't get discouraged. Once you feel yourself rocking toward the pick, consciously try to correct it. Explore thy blade.

Kay

DressageChica
02-20-2007, 09:43 AM
Yes me too!! I've been trying to catch my foot in a layback and it is so so so hard! I really want this spin because it is sooo pretty!

Mrs Redboots
02-20-2007, 10:17 AM
I was watching a little Ice Princess at our rink try these the other day - poor child looked exactly like a dog chasing its tail, she couldn't find her foot and spin at the same time....

xofivebyfive
02-20-2007, 03:04 PM
I actually love this spin! I have no issues centering once I'm in the position, but I have major problems locating my foot! :frus: LOL. Looks really pretty when I can though.

WannabeS8r
02-20-2007, 03:19 PM
haha thanks everyone!! I still can't do it fast, though. :frus: Also, since I spin CW, and only my left leg is really flexible... I am doomed with this spin, ha.

kayskate
02-20-2007, 04:03 PM
haha thanks everyone!! I still can't do it fast, though. :frus: Also, since I spin CW, and only my left leg is really flexible... I am doomed with this spin, ha.

I also spin CW. You will develop the flex. Stretch off ice before and after skating. Denise Beillmann does it to get her spin, so we should expect to have to stretch also.

Kay

WannabeS8r
02-20-2007, 08:12 PM
I also spin CW. You will develop the flex. Stretch off ice before and after skating. Denise Beillmann does it to get her spin, so we should expect to have to stretch also.

Kay

Really, Denise spins CW? I never knew that but that's impressive! :bow:
I am considering doing a back catch-foot instead since it would be much easier with the height of my leg... but it's even harder to spin. Heh, I'll try to figure it out, and stretch, stretch, stretch. ;)

kayskate
02-21-2007, 07:37 AM
I am considering doing a back catch-foot instead since it would be much easier with the height of my leg... but it's even harder to spin. Heh, I'll try to figure it out, and stretch, stretch, stretch. ;)

Actually I meant she does a lot of stretching, about 45 mins of it before skating. She says she needs to do that to get her position. But she also does skate CW.

Kay

WannabeS8r
02-24-2007, 01:17 PM
Just in case anyone has more valuable tips (hehe), here's a video of my first ever attempt at catch-foots...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtLKSVYDlVc

badaxel
02-24-2007, 02:11 PM
Hey Wannabe-
I skate CW, too, and I'm actually working on the catch foot camel for both forward and back spins. I wasn't sure if the video was supposed to be from a camel or a layback. If it's a camel, I can't help you because yours is better than mine. If you're trying to do the layback catch foot ("haircutter") spin, my advice is to keep your left knee pointed down towards the ice as you grab your skate. I had the same problem- that I was trying to keep that layback position and catch foot at the same time. You actually have to bring your knees together more as you reach for your foot. Good Luck, and make sure to post some more vids when you get it!

WannabeS8r
02-24-2007, 02:22 PM
Hey Wannabe-
I skate CW, too, and I'm actually working on the catch foot camel for both forward and back spins. I wasn't sure if the video was supposed to be from a camel or a layback. If it's a camel, I can't help you because yours is better than mine. If you're trying to do the layback catch foot ("haircutter") spin, my advice is to keep your left knee pointed down towards the ice as you grab your skate. I had the same problem- that I was trying to keep that layback position and catch foot at the same time. You actually have to bring your knees together more as you reach for your foot. Good Luck, and make sure to post some more vids when you get it!

Yeah, I was actually attempting a layback first. The thing is - my left leg can't stay up if I bend my back, too. I used to spin the other way, so it's only my right foot that is really flexible and bendy when I arch backward. So I just thought why not try a regular catch-foot spin? And there it is! :-P
Thank you so much for the advice though; I'll keep it in mind the next time I try a layback. ;)

kayskate
02-24-2007, 03:28 PM
Saw your vid. Much easier from a camel, IMO. Doesn't matter if you do forward or back, whichever camel is better for you. If you prefer to do from a layback, get the layback stable first. Do 3-5 revs in the layback before catching. Seriously, do it from a camel. I think you will have better luck.

Found this vid after watching yours. It is a catch-camel. Note the skater has a secure camel for a few revs before the catch. IMO, this is a good example b/c the skater does not "search" for her free leg. She also does not drop her hip. She concludes the spin by releasing the free foot gracefully w/o "snapping".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiYmJopJp7E

Kay

WannabeS8r
02-24-2007, 03:52 PM
Saw your vid. Much easier from a camel, IMO. Doesn't matter if you do forward or back, whichever camel is better for you. If you prefer to do from a layback, get the layback stable first. Do 3-5 revs in the layback before catching. Seriously, do it from a camel. I think you will have better luck.

Found this vid after watching yours. It is a catch-camel. Note the skater has a secure camel for a few revs before the catch. IMO, this is a good example b/c the skater does not "search" for her free leg. She also does not drop her hip. She concludes the spin by releasing the free foot gracefully w/o "snapping".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiYmJopJp7E

Kay

Oh, believe me, I've tried it with a camel. First I start out with 3 camel revs and then a grab the foot behind me and I cannot hold it... my left leg is extremely inflexible. I can do a straight-legged camel and Y-spiral, but that's about the only things I an do with that leg. I swear, if I spun CCW, I could be doing Biellmanns now. :roll:

Oh and my back camel is not very stable, so I would rather not start with it.

badaxel
02-24-2007, 04:48 PM
I say go for the layback catch first- IMO, it is much easier that the camel catches.

mikawendy
02-24-2007, 09:54 PM
Really, Denise spins CW? I never knew that but that's impressive! :bow:

I think I've seen some people do a upright or semi-upright 1/2 back catch foot--that is they catch their skating foot with their opposite arm rather than both arms, but the leg remains fairly low, not biellman position. I think it usually starts out looking like a backward spin with the leg sorta in attitude position (which is a very hard backward spin anyways).

kayskate
03-01-2007, 07:08 AM
I think it usually starts out looking like a backward spin with the leg sorta in attitude position (which is a very hard backward spin anyways).

Yup, back attitude is a very hard spin. Have been working on it for maybe 3-4 yrs. Finally getting decent. I have a hard time staying off my pick in this spin.

Kay

flying~camel
03-01-2007, 11:09 AM
I think I've seen some people do a upright or semi-upright 1/2 back catch foot--that is they catch their skating foot with their opposite arm rather than both arms, but the leg remains fairly low, not biellman position.

This is how I do my catch-foot spin. It's starts out like a forward, 1-foot spin (I skate CCW), then bend the free leg back into an attitude position, catch the blade and pull it up.