View Full Version : Coupe de France

kismet_78
02-19-2007, 02:01 PM
Is anybody else going to this event?

This is my first adult competition, and I'm so nervous my legs are already shaking! I used to hate competing against kids, but apart from a couple of artistic events that was the only option in Australia at the time. Of course, better skating opportunities are NOT the reason I moved to the UK, at least that's what I tell my family :)

Someone please tell me it's going to be fun, the people will be lovely, and no-one will laugh when I fall over a few times :)

skatingpanda
02-19-2007, 03:20 PM
Hi kismet_78,

I'll be going too. And, for me too, it is my first adult competition (I used to skate as a kid, and my competitions were always *disasters* due to nerves). I promise I am not going to laugh at your falls (well, only if you don't laugh at mine... ;))
My program isn't even half-way ready! Help!!!!

Mrs Redboots
02-20-2007, 02:54 AM
Husband hasn't even started his programme yet - we've been too busy working for our tests!

Yes, we'll be there. We're skating pre-bronze dance as a couple, and Husband's skating Bronze Men - not quite the oldest age group, as that seems to be from age 57, but very nearly.

Where are you guys staying? We've booked into the Ibis Le Havre Centre.

skatingpanda
02-20-2007, 06:17 AM
I am staying at the France Bourgogne, which seems to be the closest one to the train station. I will arrive with the train of 23:59 on Friday night, so I didn't want to have to find my way through the city at that time.

Mrs Redboots
02-20-2007, 08:07 AM
No, indeed, although I expect there will be taxis. We're arriving in Coquelles in the early afternoon of the Friday, so hope to arrive at Le Havre in time for the draw. And we aren't going back until Monday night, so plenty of time for sightseeing, and buying (we hope) the sparkling wine for our daughter's wedding three weeks later!

coskater64
02-20-2007, 01:16 PM
Had I known about this competition a little earlier, say prior to christmas I would have loved to have done it. ;)

kismet_78
02-21-2007, 03:17 PM
Yay, great to see other people will be there! I haven't even booked a hotel yet, am still struggling to get some time off work on Friday so I can actually get to France. Hate it when grown up stuff gets in the way of skating :)

Skatingpanda, we can be falling buddies :). My coach in Oz used to offer me alcohol to relax me before I skated a comp (seriously - not that I ever took her up on it of course :halo: ).

As for unfinished programs, count me in! I'll be lucky if I remember it on the day.

Happy skating and see you all soon then!

Mrs Redboots
02-22-2007, 09:40 AM
I expect I shall have my hip flask with me - for afterwards, I hasten to add. I can share it..... Plus, I hope, some dark fruit and nut chocolate (the French do this so much better than the English, and it is such perfect post-competition food!).

Mrs Redboots
03-22-2007, 10:17 AM
Are you two both in Silver Ladies Young Adult?

I'm getting stressed about packing.... and the competition (even though we have no competition, it's a walkover for the dance, and only one other person in the Men's Free).

See you soon....

skatingpanda
03-22-2007, 02:29 PM
I am the Swiss girl in Gold 28-36. Do you have the list of participants? I didn't get anything, neither schedule nor list of participants...

I won't make it for the draw, I hope that won't disqualify me...

See you on Saturday!

ETA: I got in touch with the organizers and now got the schedules and lists

Isk8NYC
03-23-2007, 06:52 AM
GOOD LUCK AT COUPE DE FRANCE!

skatingpanda
03-26-2007, 06:25 AM
Skatingpanda, we can be falling buddies :).

You traitor, you didn't fall! ;)
I, on the other hand, kept my word... :roll:

Seriously, Coupe de France was such a great experience and it was really nice to meet all those crazy adult skaters! :)

kismet_78
03-26-2007, 01:52 PM
Yeah, but I also switched the second axel for a single salchow, so I would have fallen if I wasn't too chicken to try it! :)

Besides, from what I hear you had a great program and huge CONGRATULATIONS!! on your first place finish! :bow: So sorry I missed it, we had forgotten to turn our clocks forward so ended up really late on the second day, oops

It was a great comp, everyone was really supportive and friendly. I'm all inspired now :)

Mrs Redboots
03-26-2007, 04:27 PM
It was a great competition - one of the best!

Wish we'd skated better - at least we didn't have any opposition, or we'd have been creamed. Again.... but we did skate the best Willow Waltz we ever have, although objectively it was probably pretty pooh. Messed up the Swing Dance big time, though, and the tangos were only so-so.

But it was fun, and we had a great long weekend. We were able to do lots of sightseeing, too, including seeing the Queen Mary II on her visit to Le Havre.

jskater49
03-26-2007, 04:45 PM
Congratulations everyone... and Redboots..skating the best ever in a competition, isn't that we all want to do?:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

j