View Full Version : Most under-appreciated programs?

Lark
02-17-2007, 02:35 PM
I wanted to see what programs, or particular performances, people would say are, in their opinion, under-appreciated. What program moved you to tears, goose bumps or just plain ol' excitement that people who you have talked to about it are like "huh"?

Maybe we will find someone on here who agrees with us! 8-)

My SP that I think the judges just did not like, and I would have given this skater a 6.0 for presentaion, regardless of any technical issues, is Michelle Kwans 2000 Worlds SP, "A Day In The Life".

Here is a www.youtube.com link:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=FgBDzGUf5ts

In my opinion, and just IMO, I compare this SP to Yagudins "Winter". I think it is the single most beautiful, exciting SP I have ever seen by a woman. I have always thought it, and I still think it.

I am not a Kwaniac by any means. I worshipped at the alter of Lipinski/Hughes. But I have to give Kwan her props. :bow:

4rkidz
02-18-2007, 03:58 AM
without a doubt for myself Yagudin's Winter Program was the best program I have watched in my 20 years in this sport:bow: I don't believe the T.V. ever really captures the excitement of certain skaters and programmes and Yagudin live was such an amazing treat.. The only second to that for me would be G&G in Calgary at the 98 Olympics - the program where they were dressed all in white.. spellbinding...

Lark
02-18-2007, 10:39 AM
without a doubt for myself Yagudin's Winter Program was the best program I have watched in my 20 years in this sport:bow:

See, I don't see "Winter" as under-appreciated (and for the record, IS "under-appreciated" a word???). I thought a lot of people (most people?) see "Winter" as an essential favorite Mens SP. Am I wrong?

Sessy
02-20-2007, 05:09 PM
I think Weir's swan thing from last year was really good but all the tv comments people seemed to hate it or something... Hmpf. It was beautiful. And the raising hand/swan head on his sit spin totally finished it off (although he kinda cut it short in the world's which was too bad, in the olympics he really polished it and it looked magnificent)

DreamSkates
02-22-2007, 03:55 PM
That's a tough one to answer because judging (even with the new system) is still subjective - subject to personal opinions, interpretations, and tastes. There have been several times I've thought, when scores/standings were announced in competitions, and commentators also made note of - why a skater received such low marks. Angela Nikodenov, for one. I was just watching Kwan's Red Violin world's LP during which she did a triple/triple and did everything well, and 2 judges gave her 5.6 for technical score. Go figure.

At least today, with the new scoring system, there is a better chance that skaters get credit for all they do.

loveskating
02-23-2007, 08:33 AM
There are far more objective criteria than there are subjective in skating.

I'd be interested in knowing the technical and "presentation" criteria you use in making these evaluations.

Myself, I find that when a program is technically substandard or not competitive as to the quality of the elements, I don't care how much "presence" the skater has, I find the program boring.

To me, Sasha Cohen's "Dark Eyes, particularly as skated at 2006 US Nationals was the best SP I've ever seen. Irina's SP in 2002 was extraordinary for its difficulty and she skated it so well.

I certainly think Yagudin's Winter was among the best -- and I also love Kulik's SP from 1998.

DreamSkates
02-23-2007, 05:33 PM
There are far more objective criteria than there are subjective in skating.

I'd be interested in knowing the technical and "presentation" criteria you use in making these evaluations.

Myself, I find that when a program is technically substandard or not competitive as to the quality of the elements, I don't care how much "presence" the skater has, I find the program boring.

To me, Sasha Cohen's "Dark Eyes, particularly as skated at 2006 US Nationals was the best SP I've ever seen. Irina's SP in 2002 was extraordinary for its difficulty and she skated it so well.

I certainly think Yagudin's Winter was among the best -- and I also love Kulik's SP from 1998.

I've watched alot of skating, but must admit I don't know all that much about the technical side. I recognize much more about artistry than the technical side. So that makes it impossible for me to say too much about underrated (or overrated) programs. Yes, there are objective elements, but there is still a human being making a judgment and in that, there is some subjectivity as much as judges try to be objective. I still don't understand the new system.

Lark
02-24-2007, 10:56 AM
I go by the "POP" factor! Nothing more realiable than that, when you are just stating an opinion. :D

loveskating
02-24-2007, 09:15 PM
I go by the "POP" factor! Nothing more realiable than that, when you are just stating an opinion. :D

So you were just stating an opinion? I don't understand that -- no program is ever underrated by an individual -- since one is free to enjoy whatever they please -- seems to me once you raise the issue of "underrated" you are then necessarily talking about authorities, and objective, or community type issues??

In that light, I don't think there is a single program Kwan ever skated that is "underrated", to the contrary.

Also, Grishuk and Platov's Requiem is the most technically difficult ice dance I've ever seen.

I think numerous of Alexander Abts programs were underrated, and most of all his Riverdance and Rach.

Lark
02-25-2007, 10:24 AM
An opinion. I am sorry if that does not float with you on a skating "chat" site. :halo:

DreamSkates
02-25-2007, 07:42 PM
An opinion. I am sorry if that does not float with you on a skating "chat" site. :halo:

Well, that's what boards are often about, sharing opinions. Whatever they are stated upon, facts or preferences, it still makes for interesting discussions about skating.