View Full Version : Double duty skating clothes?

sue123
02-13-2007, 05:46 PM
Does anyone else ever double duty their skating clothes? I've been wearing my skating tights underneath my pants when it's been cold out. They're warmer than regular tights, and not as bunchy and bulky as stretch pants. I also can't count how many times I've left the house without my gloves, so I've worn my skating gloves that I always have lying around ym car. I've also worn the fleeces that I usually wear for skating when I go to sleep at night if it's cold. My windows are drafty and my radiator doesn't always work properly, no matter how many times we fix it or replace it.

Anyone else ever double duty thier skating things?

Skate@Delaware
02-13-2007, 05:49 PM
yup! I just got some Under Armour cold gear...and not only can I wear them skating and outside in the cold, but I can wear them hunting!!!

I also bought some yoga pants, but made sure that the legs weren't too wide (thinking of how likely I am to tangle my blade in them backspinning).

Tops and t-shirts: "that would look nice at the rink!!!" :lol:

Sweaters: I can wear that skating!!!

My last big expenditure for clothes was at wally-world buying a "matched-ensemble" for skating instead of for work:roll:

Bill_S
02-13-2007, 06:16 PM
Being a guy, I have the advantage of looking respectable in street clothes on the ice. In fact, my usual skating outfit is street slacks with a t-shirt and a sweatshirt pulled over.

I sometimes wear the sweatshirt over my white shirt at work, then take the dress shirt off to skate in the t and sweatshirt.

Now skating clothes usually get rather, umm, damp after a good skating session so I usually have to change when going out to do other things. One mixed blessing of the recent very cold weather is that I don't break a sweat, and can get away with skating trousers for an activity afterwards.

I used to wear nice work trousers to the rink immediately after work, but after slicing a number of pairs up with my blades, I don't do that anymore.

I like being efficient with clothing when it works.

Skate@Delaware
02-13-2007, 07:30 PM
Bill, you could go back to wearing your nice slacks if you had gaiters made of kevlar!!!!:lol:

I'm seriously thinking of this after slicing my slacks time and time again....I'm waiting for my under armour to get sliced; then I will get ticked :x (of course my coach just says "if your foot is in the right place it won't happen")....:roll:

SkatingOnClouds
02-13-2007, 08:41 PM
:lol: glad to hear I'm not alone with the slicing pants problem.
I went through a stage where I was ripping holes in the right leg every session working on backspins. I'd get the heel of the blade stuck near the calf side seam and had to fall over because I couldn't get it out in time.
I had to resort to wearing close fitting leggings or tights (not a good look on someone my size), but now I haved my backspin better tamed, it hasn't happened for a while.

Most of my clothes do double up. I haven't bought work clothes since I started back skating about a year and a half ago :roll:
I buy or make things for skating that I can get away with at work. Have to change my pants though, hate my work pants - nasty synthetic feeling things. Much prefer my cotton lycra or supplex pants.

I don't double up wiith gloves though, my skating gloves are fingerless cycling gloves which look very butch and wouldn't keep my fingers warm off ice. Can't stand gloves with fingeres in when skating, too hot.

b viswanathan
02-13-2007, 10:34 PM
Leg warmers: The solution to wide yoga pantlegs. Just roll the pants' cuffs tightly, then tuck well into leg warmers. Secure with elastic if needed.

Tip: Wear them upside down, so the wide part is at the bottom (if they fit over your calf that way). That secures them up top, and allows you to pull them down over the top of your skates when your feet are really cold.

Otherwise, I live in workout/skating gear around the house. Longjohns, fleece, yoga pants, etc. It's all good when you're just a student!

bv

Mrs Redboots
02-14-2007, 05:56 AM
With a test looming and competition not far off, I've gone back into a skating skirt, and was grumbling away today as it means I have to change if I want to go to the supermarket on my way home! Well, I don't have to, but I already get funny looks from the builders who are working on our building when I go out or come in in my skating skirt and tights!

I've bought some lovely 70- and 100-denier tights which I wear with a street skirt, too - they're lovely and warm.

Bill_S
02-14-2007, 09:54 AM
Bill, you could go back to wearing your nice slacks if you had gaiters made of kevlar!!!!:lol:

LOL!

I'd probably find a way to rip through that too!

I'm surprised that I've seldom inflicted wounds on myself with all the damage done to my clothing.

SkatingonClouds: I've taken those awkward falls too, although since I can't backspin well, it was probably Mohawks. That's an odd feeling when your blade is caught inside the trouser of the other foot. You KNOW you're doomed! Eeep!

Reminds me of my brother in the '60s when he bought his first motor scooter. He was admiring his reflection in store windows in a row of shops, came to a stop at the sign, and realized his shoelace had tangled itself around the footpeg. Couldn't put his foot down, and just fell over like a Laugh-In skit.