View Full Version : Is Fumie going to Worlds?

Lark
02-09-2007, 11:09 AM
I thought I heard that she finished 6th at 2007 Japanese Nationals, I hope that is wrong, I adore her.

I know Japan tends to flip who is going where.

Does it depend on her performance at 4 Continents? (Please, no spoilers!)

When will we find out who from Japan is actually going to Worlds?

Lark
02-09-2007, 02:32 PM
Well, I Looked it up and it said the Japanese Nationals podium was 1) Miki Ando 2) Mao Asada 3) Fumie Suguri.

I SWORE that I read that Fumie finished 6th!

Emanfan
02-09-2007, 02:45 PM
Well, I Looked it up and it said the Japanese Nationals podium was 1) Miki Ando 2) Mao Asada 3) Fumie Suguri.

I SWORE that I read that Fumie finished 6th!

I thought she was fourth.

Isk8NYC
02-09-2007, 03:19 PM
Yep, fourth place.

http://www.skatingjapan.jp/national/2006-2007/figure/national/e/data0290.htm

Lark
02-09-2007, 03:21 PM
Okay, I think the link I saw was "Predictions" of the Japanese Nationals.

If you look at the following link, it has SPOILERS for 4 Continents! From what I can tell anyways, I jumped off the second I saw "4 Continents" posted somewhere. So fair warning! 4 Continents SPOILERS!!

http://www.girlcentric.com/blog/default.htm - SPOILERS FOR 4 CONTINENTS!!!

Lark
02-09-2007, 03:26 PM
So, when will we know the Japanese Ladies going to Worlds?

Isk8NYC
02-09-2007, 03:48 PM
If you look at the following link, it has SPOILERS for 4 Continents! From what I can tell anyways, I jumped off the second I saw "4 Continents" posted somewhere. So fair warning! 4 Continents SPOILERS!!

http://www.girlcentric.com/blog/default.htm - SPOILERS FOR 4 CONTINENTS!!!

Are there any spoilers if I follow the link? Just kidding around. LOL

I guess we'll find out the lineup after Four Continents is completed.

How many competitors for each event can any one country send to the Worlds?

Lark
02-09-2007, 08:57 PM
Are there any spoilers if I follow the link? Just kidding around. LOL

I had to make sure I gave fair warning, 'cause I would have been the first person to have a cow if I read any Spoilers! ;)

Lark
02-09-2007, 09:00 PM
How many competitors for each event can any one country send to the Worlds?[/LEFT]

If I am reading the question correctly, any country at most can send 3 people/teams per event per discipline. But each country has to earn the places for those competitors. It is based on the countries placements in the previous Worlds.

Is that what you were asking?

Isk8NYC
02-10-2007, 06:59 AM
Yes, that was my question.

You get the award for "Best Spoiler Warning."

Gee, I wonder if India will be sending anyone? Did they have anyone in last year's Worlds? *goes off to check the www.isu.org (http://www.isu.org) website for more info.*

Lark
02-10-2007, 08:54 AM
Other than Worlds, there are other qualifyers, I am not sure what they are.

I think Maria Butyrskaya had to qualify a spot for Russia for the 1994 Olympics or Worlds because based on her previous Worlds, there would be no spot for a Russian Lady. (I know I am in the right ballpark here, does anyone know the complete story behind this?) :frus:

Lark
02-10-2007, 09:07 AM
I found this about Chen Lu that described what SHE had to do to Qualify for the 1998 Olympics:

Chen posted the worst results of her career during the 1996-1997 season. She struggled with injuries and had conflicts with both her long-time coach and her skating federation. She withdrew from competitions in the fall of 1996, citing injury and was ill-prepared for the 1997 World Championships. There, she finished only 25th and did not qualify for the final free skate. Nor did her finish qualify China for the ladies' figure skating competition at the 1998 Olympic Games.

Thus, in the summer of 1997, Chen, working with a new coach named Hongyun Liu, had to qualify for the Olympics. She did this by winning an event in Vienna and by finishing 4th and 3rd at events in France and Japan, respectively. Still, she had not regained the form that had won her the World title and did not qualify for the Grand Prix Final (formerly known as the Champion's Series Final), which was an important pre-Olympic event. Further, there were many competitors that could potentially medal at the Olympics and there were significant doubts that Chen could repeat as a medalist.

frbskate63
02-12-2007, 03:20 PM
Qualifying for the Olympics is different from qualifying for Worlds. I believe that for Worlds, any ISU member federation is entitled to send one skater or team per discipline. To be able to send two or three depends on that country's results in that discipline the previous year.

For the Olympics, some places are reserved for the top x from the previous year's worlds, there are some extra slots for countries which achieved high placements at the previous year's worlds, and the rest are decided by the results of qualifying competitions. The Karl Schaefer Memorial Trophy in Vienna is used as a qualifier in Olympic seasons; there may be others as well. But the Olympics is limited to 30 participants per event, so qualifying competitions are needed to keep the numbers down.

Fiona

Lark
02-12-2007, 03:45 PM
Thanks for the explanation, Fiona!

Do you know if Fumie is going to Worlds?

techskater
02-12-2007, 04:29 PM
No, she is NOT going to Worlds. They are sending the top 3 from their National Championships because of the debacle of Miki's placement at Olympics and Worlds last year. Fumie was 4th.

Lark
02-12-2007, 05:21 PM
What was the debacle? And where did you find verifiable information stating that they would not send Fumie? :P

singerskates
02-13-2007, 11:55 PM
Fumie is not skating like the Fumie of old. Just look at her results at 4CC. I'm trying to figure out why Fumie is skating so badly now. Is it that she's switch boot makers? Does she have an injury? Did she have to give up her old trusty boots for new boots which don't have any arch support compared to the older made boots?

The boots that are made these days just don't hold your middle foot in place. If you're like me and have to wear orthotics in your shoes because you pronate and have hammer toe, todays figure skating boots don't hold you in place at all even with Superfeet. I had to add lots of padding in to the sides of my arch inside to keep my foot from rolling inside my boot. If the skater's foot is not secure inside, then the skater is hesitant in the elements they do. And what's worse, the problem makes the skater's elements get thrown way off. Hence Fumie's fall from grace on ice.

Virtualsk8r
02-14-2007, 10:25 AM
Fumie is not skating like the Fumie of old. Just look at her results at 4CC. I'm trying to figure out why Fumie is skating so badly now. Is it that she's switch boot makers? Does she have an injury? Did she have to give up her old trusty boots for new boots which don't have any arch support compared to the older made boots?

The boots that are made these days just don't hold your middle foot in place. If you're like me and have to wear orthotics in your shoes because you pronate and have hammer toe, todays figure skating boots don't hold you in place at all even with Superfeet. I had to add lots of padding in to the sides of my arch inside to keep my foot from rolling inside my boot. If the skater's foot is not secure inside, then the skater is hesitant in the elements they do. And what's worse, the problem makes the skater's elements get thrown way off. Hence Fumie's fall from grace on ice.

I was on the ice with Fumie early this summer and she was really jet-lagged - had trouble doing a double salchow. But then she had just stepped off the plane from Japan......She was still beautiful to watch. Maybe the travelling has taken its toll.

As for your skates - all my skaters, including myself - wear orthotics in both their shoes and skates. Our orthotic guy makes us take in our skates and then he makes a pair to fit specifically inside each skater's boots. Superfeet are great for those who don't need anything more than some arch support - but if you pronate or supinate - then real orthotics are the only way to correct your posture on the ice. He also checks our orthotics about once a year as body changes affect the feet too....

BTW I have skaters in different brands of custom-made boots and cheap boots. The orthotics make the difference for all of them.

DreamSkates
02-23-2007, 05:43 PM
I always enjoyed watching her skate, they had such nice grace, artistry and flow. I will miss seeing her at worlds. How old is she now? How much longer do you think she'll stay in competition?

coppertop1
02-23-2007, 07:38 PM
What was the debacle? And where did you find verifiable information stating that they would not send Fumie? :P

I can answer half that question, and if i'm wrong please correct me: the controversy (that's more fitting than debacle) was last year at Japanese nationals. Japanese have a lot of strong lady skaters, and so they told their skaters if they skated well during the grand prix series and medalled at the GPF they'd go to the olympics (something like that). Yukari Nakano won the bronze in skate canada and gold in NHK. she won bronze in the GPF beating Miki Ando, and she beat Miki Ando all season including Japanese nationals where she was 5th and Ando was sixth, but the Japanese skating federation sent Ando instead of Nakano. So I think this year they'd likely send the top three medallist.

Lark
02-24-2007, 10:54 AM
I am the biggest supporter of sending the actual medalist, but I am gonna miss Fumie.

P.S. Sorry if I came across as a freaking loonie on this Thread. I looked back, and my first thought was "why am I staking Fumie?"! ROFL :D

coppertop1
02-24-2007, 04:49 PM
I am the biggest supporter of sending the actual medalist, but I am gonna miss Fumie.

P.S. Sorry if I came across as a freaking loonie on this Thread. I looked back, and my first thought was "why am I staking Fumie?"! ROFL :D

I agree with you. I will too but it's the only fair thing to do is send the medallists. It won't seem right without Fumie

and that's ok