View Full Version : Figure skating in Harlem benefits in NYC

sunjoy
02-07-2007, 06:51 PM
Figure Skating in Harlem (http://www.figureskatinginharlem.org/inside/index.html) is a charity that provides academic tutoring, along with skate instruction and equipment to girls in Harlem. Friend of mine who tutors for them says that the emphasis seems to be on participation rather than competition (and probably skating as a means to boost self-esteem motivation), even in cases where the girls could be encouraged to compete. I think I see their point more than her's although I hope they don't actively *discourage* competition.

Two benefits coming up in NYC. See their website for more details.

Feb 10th, a $15 skate party at Lasker rink.

April 9th, their 3rd annual ~$250 "Skating with the Stars, Under the stars" Gala at Wollman, to which just about *everyone* seems to have been invited this year, including Arakawa who is the featured guest, Irina, Sasha, Weir, Emily, Kimmie, Evan, and more, although of course not everyone will show.

Someone who watched the "Under the stars" event (for free from the terrace overlooking the rink :) ) it's first year reported that only Evan and one other of the Celebrities actually took to the ice & skated with the masses. Was more like a meet & greet. Can't say if that's changed.