View Full Version : I Got Moved Up A Level!

Helen88
02-06-2007, 11:37 AM
I got moved up a level!! Only from level 3 to level 4, but hey it's a start!! I was telling (boasting I guess :halo: ) my friend about it, and then she came out with the fact that she had just got a private coach every other Sunday *gets jealous* :frus: . Serves me right I suppose. But it was really cool getting moved up.

Isk8NYC
02-06-2007, 11:39 AM
It is cool and we're happy for you, Helen88!

Maybe your friend was just bursting with excitement, too, and couldn't hold it in long enough to remark on your achievement.

peanutskates
02-06-2007, 12:11 PM
are you doing the SkateUK course? I know you've been skating for 9 months, so is this the level system AFTER the bronze, silver gold? (i.e. level 3 would = level 16)

just interested. and well done! it is fun to skip levels, or to move up, i know;)

Helen88
02-06-2007, 12:25 PM
Yup - I'm doing SkateUK, but these are the levels before bronze, silver and gold :oops: - before I started my group lessons just after Christmas I was just skating for fun. Thanks for all your comments though :D

peanutskates
02-06-2007, 12:27 PM
lol, it's ok :lol: i just know a girl who is on level 19 (6 after gold)... and I knew that you'd been skating for 9 months.. but i get it

I've been skating for a year or so for fun, and have been having lessons since 4 weeks ago. I got moved up to level 5 already, because I had taught myself a lot before lessons. now I'm learning spins *argh*:roll:

has anyone got any tips?

the best way for me so far to learn the two footed spin is, ironically, to learn the one footed spin and then put my other foot down... 8O

Team Arthritis
02-06-2007, 12:40 PM
http://www.cosgan.de/images/midi/tiere/c104.gif Hurray! Progress feels so good
Lyle

kateskate
02-06-2007, 12:47 PM
lol, it's ok :lol: i just know a girl who is on level 19 (6 after gold)... and I knew that you'd been skating for 9 months.. but i get it

level 19, 6 after gold? I'm slightly confused. Do you mean NISA standard test level 6?

Helen88
02-06-2007, 02:01 PM
Peanutskates - I can't spin at ALL. I seem to be able to (wobbly) spin clockwise in two feet, but on land if I'm spinning on one foot I feel more comfortable going anti-clockwise on my left leg :giveup: . Tis very confuzzling...

Mrs Redboots
02-06-2007, 03:45 PM
the best way for me so far to learn the two footed spin is, ironically, to learn the one footed spin and then put my other foot down... 8OThat's about the only way I can do it, too - we didn't have to learn a 2-foot spin when I was learning.

cathrl
02-07-2007, 05:57 AM
level 19, 6 after gold? I'm slightly confused. Do you mean NISA standard test level 6?

I'm confused too...

I'm currently trying to explain to my daughter's scoutmaster how come she's eligible for the skating badge. You have to be Skate UK level 4. Problem is, Holly never did Skate UK or the passport because she was already in the test system when they brought them out, so to someone who doesn't understand that there are two sets of 1-10, it looks like her level 2 isn't enough. Maybe I should just tell him she's level 15.

BatikatII
02-07-2007, 08:39 AM
I'm confused too...

I'm currently trying to explain to my daughter's scoutmaster how come she's eligible for the skating badge. You have to be Skate UK level 4. Problem is, Holly never did Skate UK or the passport because she was already in the test system when they brought them out, so to someone who doesn't understand that there are two sets of 1-10, it looks like her level 2 isn't enough. Maybe I should just tell him she's level 15.

Good luck with getting that badge. I've spent years and been totally unsuccessful in getting my kid's school to accept skating is a sport. Daughter is not allowed to use a sport that she has been doing for years, has been to a National championships in, reached the highest test level in parts (Field moves - though they've now added some more of course) as a sport to count towards her PE GCSE. It's so crazy!

I like the idea of counting the levels starting from SKATE UK level 1 and keep on going - that gives me levels 14 - 17 in various disciplines!!! I've never heard anyone (other than peanutskates) refer to them that way though.

The official titles of the levels beyond passport are Bronze levels 1-3, Silver levels 4-6 and Gold levels 7 and over. While skate UK levels are called just that: Skate UK level 1-10 then passport, bronze silver and gold.

Perhaps it would help if you explain that she is a 'Bronze level 2' which is much higher than 'Skate UK level 2' - and also mention that skate UK are tested by the rink's own coaches but the Bronze and up levels are tested by official judges from the National Ice Skating Association at special test sessions.

Mrs Redboots
02-07-2007, 11:06 AM
My daughter was able to use ice-skating as the sport part of one of her Duke of Edinburgh award badges - her coach was happy to sign the bumf attesting that she could do the required skills.