View Full Version : question about adult competitive levels (USFSA)

Morgail
02-05-2007, 09:41 PM
I've seen references to Masters level and Championship level in adult skating competition info. Does anyone have a link to an explanation about what these levels are, and how they differ from regular adult levels (ie. Adult Bronze, Silver, Gold)? I did a quick Google search but didn't find anything very helpful. I'm thinking that Masters is somehow tied to passing standard level USFSA Moves or FS tests, but I have no idea what Championship level would be.

Debbie S
02-05-2007, 10:19 PM
"Championship" refers to Championship Gold, Masters, Pairs, and Dance events that are offered at Adult Sectionals and Nationals. To compete in a Champ event at AN, skaters qualify at Sectionals by finishing in the top 4 in their Champ event.

The eligibility requirements for Champ Gold and Masters singles are the same as for the "open" events at those levels (Gold=Gold FS, Masters=Intermediate FS or higher). I believe Champ Pairs is for skaters competing at either the Gold or Masters level in pairs. Not sure about Dance. Basically, the Champ events are an additional (prestigious) competitive opportunity for skaters at the Gold and Masters levels.

The USFSA rulebook explains this stuff, and there may be something on the adult skating page of the USFSA website. Don Korte's site (sorry, I don't have the link handy) is also a good source of info about competitive levels and requirements.

Isk8NYC
02-06-2007, 10:10 AM
Don Korte's site is www.sk8stuff.com (http://www.sk8stuff.com) and has tons of info for adult skaters, along with the "Skate Exchange" for used skates.

badaxel
02-06-2007, 05:54 PM
It took me a long time to get this straight, too. To add to what DebbieS said, I think that Championship is different because it is not broken down by age levels, the way the "open" events are. There is only Championship gold and Championship Masters. The levels go like this: PreBronze, Bronze, Silver, Gold, Masters. I would like to add that I would like to see a championship Silver event added to Nationals. Anyway...

Morgail
02-07-2007, 10:51 AM
Thanks everyone! So, what would make someone (besides the no age levels factor) want to sign up to compete in Championship Gold vs Open Gold (and Championship Masters vs. any Open Masters level) at sectionals? Do competitors at the Championship Gold level include harder elements in their programs than those in Open Gold?

flying~camel
02-07-2007, 11:00 AM
Champ events are more prestigious than open events because you have to qualify through Sectionals to be able to compete (just like the kids on the standard track have to qualify for "big" Nationals).

For open events, you just sign up, pay the entry fee and compete.