View Full Version : Have ISI competition question - need input!

Laura H
02-05-2007, 12:22 PM
Nope, not for me . . . yet . . . but DS (he's 8) is going to do his first comp (ISI) in March and he is doing a Solo routine for sure, already running through it with his music. But his coach also gave him the option of signing up in the Compulsories as well; as I understand it, he would have to do the three required elements (in his case, salchow, change foot spin and the dance/footwork sequence) but on 1/2 ice and without music. There are connecting steps which would be preplanned. He said he only wanted to do the solo . . . but I'm not quite sure why. I said OK, but now that it's time to fill out the form and pay the registration fee, I'm wondering if I need to raise this again with him.

My thoughts are, as long as he is there, he may as well do both (they involve the same elements anyway) . . . and if he should not do well in one, he'd still have a second shot in the next event. It's only a $15.00 difference to add the 2nd event so that's not really a big deal. But would that mean double the stress? I guess it's ultimately his decision but just wondering what those of you with a little more experience with ISI comps might think. Any input/guidance would be greatly appreciated!!

Isk8NYC
02-05-2007, 12:34 PM
I'm putting on my parent hat now. *thunk*
Talk to him about also entering the Stroking (if offered) and Solo Compulsory events.

If, by some chance, he doesn't place well on the Freestyle Solo event, he then has another chance to medal in the other two events.

It does mean you probably have to spend the entire day/both days at the competition, however. They can't make a schedule until all the entries are in, but usually the three events are spread out.

Now for my coach's hat. *thunk*
The stroking event helps emphasize proper stroking and crossovers. Many kids don't realize how important it is as a foundation for the freestyle skating. Seeing competitors control their arms, point their toes, and push strongly often spurs sloppy skaters into cleaning up their act. I ask all of my skaters to do this event, USFSA Basic Skills and ISI.

I call Solo Compulsories the "30-Second Show Off" event. It requires the skater to focus on perfect technique without the distractions of music and choreography. A lot of skaters are better at the elements than their skating program demonstrates, and this is an opportunity for them to show that to the judges.

If he is strong at the salchow, change foot spin and the dance/footwork sequence, he'll probably do well in SC. If he's hesistant because of his skills on those items, he's got a valid concern.

Discuss it together with his coach.

Laura H
02-05-2007, 12:47 PM
In this comp, it looks like stroking is just Alpha through Delta. His coach did also mention interpretive, but we pretty much immediately nixed that, my son -well, I love him, but his personality is the exact opposite of everything that such an event would require!!! It would totally freak him out to have to make up something on the spur of the moment.

To be blunt . . . the change foot spin is his weakness . . . he can do it, but I think he's a little nervous about it . . . everything else is OK. (and his Salchow makes me green with envy). He is going to be working really hard over the next few weeks to get the change foot spin SOLID. But I figure he has to do it anyway in Solo, right? So either way he WILL be doing a change foot spin that day(s). :twisted:

His coach is fine with him doing the compulsories . . . but said she would leave it up to him to decide. :frus:

Isk8NYC
02-05-2007, 12:52 PM
Interpretive is best for skaters who can think quick on their feet and memorize a program that they make up themselves. There are some techniques that help, but the pressure is unbelievable on kids unless they're clueless.

If you're willing to risk $15, he COULD sign up for the Solo Compulsories now and see how he feels about it at comp. time. In the meantime, the coach can practice the routine with a "let's just try it" approach. You can always "scratch" him from an event if he's not ready, but you will not receive a refund.

Plus, the emphasis on that weak element will only help his freestyle program.

jskater49
02-05-2007, 03:21 PM
I have a daughter who skates (intermediate) and I skate myself and my advice is to let the boy do what he wants. If he only wants to do one event, don't push him into doing more. I've seen a lot, and really you will enjoy this ride much more if you let the skater decide what they want to do and how much they want to put in it. If he regrets his decision this time, there's plenty more competitions, he can sign up for the extras nex time- but let that be HIS decision.

trust me on this

J

Thin-Ice
02-06-2007, 03:56 AM
Interpretive is best for skaters who can think quick on their feet and memorize a program that they make up themselves. There are some techniques that help, but the pressure is unbelievable on kids unless they're clueless.

If you're willing to risk $15, he COULD sign up for the Solo Compulsories now and see how he feels about it at comp. time. In the meantime, the coach can practice the routine with a "let's just try it" approach. You can always "scratch" him from an event if he's not ready, but you will not receive a refund.

Plus, the emphasis on that weak element will only help his freestyle program.

If you decide to do this, and he decides he does not want to skate the compulsories that day, let the organizers know as soon as possible. For some reason, some people just don't bother to tell the registration desk or other organizer that they are scratching.. .which can lead to delays and disappointment for anyone else in the group and the rest of the competition.

Mainemom
02-06-2007, 10:09 AM
If ISI Interpretive is the same general idea as USFS Interpretive, I would have to disagree with IS8NYC about the "pressure being unbelievable on kids unless they are clueless". I think it totally depends on the personality of the skater and their feelings about music. My DD (Preliminary Level) loves Interpretive - I wish that more competitions offered it. She does do an Artistry in Motion group class that probably helps being able to move to different kinds of music, but generally speaking she just likes to go out and "emote", making it up as she goes along, because she's that kind of skater.

Isk8NYC
02-06-2007, 10:21 AM
Absolutely, if you need to scratch from an event, let the competition organizers know as soon as possible.

ISI Interpretive is different from the USFSA event by the same name. The major difference is that USFSA Interpretive skaters BRING THEIR OWN MUSIC and an already-prepared skating program. In ISI Interpretive, the group of skaters take the ice for a short warmup. They then listen to a piece of music FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER and have to make up a program without any coaching. The music is played two more times during the warmup, then the competitors are taken away from the rink where they can't hear the music.

One by one, the competitors have to come out and skate their just-created-in-their-minds program to this music.

The key is to memorize footwork patterns in advance and rock-solid spin/jumps that you can "fit" to any kind of music. It's very important to keep up with tempo changes and to end on time with the music. Plus, the ISI restricts the allowed maneuvers, which can cause a skater to lose points because they did something too high-level. I didn't mean "clueless" as an insult; I meant it as a child who wasn't "prepared" in advance with rehearsed sequences and an arsenal of cool tricks. A "clueless" child would just go out there and have fun with the music, but might not place well.

That's why I think the ISI Interpretive is too high-pressure for a kid's first competition, especially since the boy in question is already nervous.

I judged this event once with the "I Dream of Jeannie" theme song as the music. The other judges hated the music, but I loved hearing it over and over again. Only one girl had actually seen the TV show and knew to fold her arms and blink! Still, that gets old after three rounds. LOL

One last note: the ISI strives to make competitions fun and participative. There are of course some people who act like they're skating in an Olympic qualifier, but the reality is that there's absolutely no advantage to winning or losing in ISI. Everyone gets an award, the groups are divided by age and test level, and the organizers want to create a good experience. Friendship and Sportsmanship are emphasized more than placements.