View Full Version : 2 years of skating

Casey
02-04-2007, 10:24 PM
I just finished putting this little video together of my skating from the past couple years. It's fun for me to watch even with the ghastly old stuff to see improvement and renew hope for more progress yet to be made. :) Just thought you guys might enjoy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gL5DjKxiq8c

skatingatty
02-04-2007, 11:18 PM
That is so cool! How do you put stuff from a video camera onto youtube.com anyhow? I'm impressed by your speed and the distance that you get on jumps, esp. the huge waltz jump. The speed on your scratch spin is good, and I like the variations. My only advice is that on the loop jump (which is also huge), you should keep the free leg in front of the landing leg while you're in the air, as opposed to letting it hang out to the side. That hydroblading is excellent; it rivals Bourne & Kraatz!! Thanks for sharing!

Casey
02-04-2007, 11:34 PM
That is so cool! How do you put stuff from a video camera onto youtube.com anyhow?
Thanks for the comments. :) I've just taken various clips with my camera phone and a digital camera over time (they're all piled up at http://kc.sk8rland.com/video/ if you're so inclined), and picked a few and compiled them all into this one video. After that it's just a matter of uploading the video to youtube.com - nothing to that really. Just create an account and click upload and browse for your file and wait a bit... I started putting videos there recently because some folks had difficulty watching my videos directly due to a missing codec or program or connection speed issues...

sunjoy
02-05-2007, 12:24 AM
I really like the spin variations you do at around 5:00. With the frame rate on youTube, the one arm up, one down position gives a really cool "drummer" effect.

Other than that, your waltz really flies! I thought you were going to end the video on the nicely centered spin just before the end, but it's cool that you end it with more skating. Your hair reminds me of JWe's, which isn't meant to be an insult. :p

How do you tape yourself? Do you use a tripod for your phone?

And what is the second music?

Casey
02-05-2007, 12:42 AM
I really like the spin variations you do at around 5:00. With the frame rate on youTube, the one arm up, one down position gives a really cool "drummer" effect.
That's a catch foot spin where I put the other hand over my head to try to balance the look of the spin...

I thought you were going to end the video on the nicely centered spin just before the end, but it's cool that you end it with more skating.
Well, I made the mistake of trying to make a video with Windows Movie Maker on my laptop, which is complete pile of...I mean...which has a bit of a mind of it's own. I actually had a longer beginning, a couple clips that didn't show up at all (which resulted in the blank black part at the end) including another one at the end, and some of the clips show boring parts rather than the parts I selected. Plus I had to save frequently because it crashed about 40 times while I was piecing things together. And then it took over 3 hours to save a video file (incorrectly as it is) once I was done editing. But it came out okay overall, so I'm glad to have made it. :)

How do you tape yourself? Do you use a tripod for your phone?
I just set it on the boards. You can tell which ones are taken with the digital camera, because they look a lot crisper.

And what is the second music?
The band is Myriads, album is Introspection, song title is Encapsulated. It's perhaps not fitted to skating quite as well as the first and a bit heavy for the video, but I enjoy it and picked it somewhat at random after realizing the first track was too short for the whole thing...

Team Arthritis
02-05-2007, 09:29 AM
really enjoyed it Casey, THanks
Lyle

Tiggerwoos
02-05-2007, 09:50 AM
Brilliant skating Casey........ Love the way your spins have got more and more centred and so long. Also your jumps are amazing........... Very high and how can anyone do a hydroblade like that?! Well done!:)

Tessa
02-05-2007, 07:49 PM
Way cool. :bow:

mikawendy
02-05-2007, 08:03 PM
ITA, nice ice coverage on the waltz jump and loop jump. Also, I would kill for hydroblades like yours--and I liked the one where you stood up and did a spin afterward. Cool footwork, too.

One thing that seemed interesting to me was that in some of your spins, they started off not centered and then got centered when you were several revolutions into the spin and brought your arms in. Do you know how you did this (or maybe I'm seeing things wrong)? Usually, if one of my spins starts of uncentered, there is just no way to save it, my momentum keeps making me travel. (And sometimes I can't tell that my spin wasn't centered until I'm done, then I look at the tracing and think, oh rats!)

sue123
02-05-2007, 08:37 PM
Well, I made the mistake of trying to make a video with Windows Movie Maker on my laptop, which is complete pile of...I mean...which has a bit of a mind of it's own. I actually had a longer beginning, a couple clips that didn't show up at all (which resulted in the blank black part at the end) including another one at the end, and some of the clips show boring parts rather than the parts I selected. Plus I had to save frequently because it crashed about 40 times while I was piecing things together. And then it took over 3 hours to save a video file (incorrectly as it is) once I was done editing. But it came out okay overall, so I'm glad to have made it. :)

I made a couple movies on Window's Movie Maker, and I just got Adobe Premiere Elements and made a few movies on that already, and Adobe is so much better. One thing that you need to be careful for is that when you're saving a movie, you generally want to have at least 3 times the amount of space you'll need for the movie. So if the movie is 1 MB, you'll want at least 3-4 MB of free space. But I had some problems with it as well, things like when I would trim a clip, nad then it would randomly insert something from another clip for a split second at the trim point. I also had some sync problems, but it's not as big a deal when you're filming skating and adding music over it. Unfortunatly, there isn't much you can do about the export time. It always takes a long time, and can depend on different factors like how much free space you have, how many programs you have running, and if you have a screen saver on.

I recently burned onto DVD a movie I made for my grandparents and it was a 32 minute movie. I had to let it burn overnight so I don't know exactly how long it took. But it does take a long time exporting video.

BTW, what was that first song you had on the video? It sounds really familiar but I just can't place it.

Casey
02-05-2007, 09:12 PM
BTW, what was that first song you had on the video? It sounds really familiar but I just can't place it.
Croatian Rapshody by Maksim Mrvika. Irina Slutskaya skated to it in her LP at the 2006 Olympics...

miraclegro
02-05-2007, 09:17 PM
Yeah, i thought it was all cool, and i want to know about that first song, also. I've heard it somewhere....Olympics? What is that first song?

TaBalie
02-05-2007, 09:24 PM
Good job -- those loops at that speed are great! :) Thanks for posting :)

Sk8pdx
02-05-2007, 11:12 PM
Wow, Casey! Awesome video. You are such an inspiration. :bow: 8-) I am dizzy from both my blondeness and all that spinning at the end. :P

Bill_S
02-06-2007, 12:29 PM
It's reassuring to see someone who started with traveling spins end up with so many centered ones.

Maybe there's still hope for me!

Nice collection of videos, Casey!

miraclegro
02-06-2007, 09:14 PM
Embarrasing....you had already mentioned the song before i asked...i must have been tired that day....sorry....

Sonic
02-07-2007, 02:26 PM
That was great, I see what Bill means about the spins centring better and better towards the end. The back spiral into the hydroblade was especially awsome!

:bow: :bow:

S xxx