View Full Version : exiting a backspin, and loop entry

Morgail
02-04-2007, 08:51 PM
I've finally gotten a few (slow) revolutions going on a backspin, but I can't seem to exit it very well. I exit the spin on a RBO edge. My exit edge is very slow and deep, and just feels as though I'm continuing the spin. Any suggestions on getting a stronger exit out of the backspin?

I'm also trying to do a loop out of a mohawk to long RBO edge rather than from a RI 3-turn. I can jump and land it fine out of the 3-turn, but I can barely get off the ice from the long edge. I'd really like to change my entry since I think it will help increase the height of this jump, which, right now, is tiny. Has anyone else tried to do this? How do I get a jump out of the long edge?

sk8rabbi_07
02-04-2007, 10:38 PM
For you back spin, lift your foot and push it back as hard as u can. that power u get will also hopefully some more power to hold that back edge.

And for your loop jump from the mohawk take a wide step instead of stepping striaight down. (if your right handed and doing this on your right foot) when u pull your left foot in and pull it up to jump that should give you some more momentum just like when u do it from a 3-turn. :) hope it helps!

Morgail
02-05-2007, 09:24 PM
Thanks! I'll try these out this week when I skate again. :)

doubletoe
02-05-2007, 10:07 PM
I think you'll find that the loop and backspin will help each other. When you exit the backspin, pretend you're landing a loop and do a strong check-out position with your arms and legs.

For the loop from a mohawk, really bend deeply and curl the edge before takeoff. The more speed you have going into it, the quicker your edge will curl when you do the deep bend, and the quicker you'll need to take off.

Team Arthritis
02-06-2007, 12:18 PM
For the loop from a mohawk, really bend deeply and curl the edge before takeoff. The more speed you have going into it, the quicker your edge will curl when you do the deep bend, and the quicker you'll need to take off.

darn I just can't figure out how to get the edge to curl!!!!!!!:giveup:
Lyle

Skate@Delaware
02-06-2007, 12:27 PM
Lyle
Yeah, mine didn't at first until my coach had me put my weight over that edge...and bend down in the legs (not bend over at the waist). Then it will curl! It's scary the first couple of times it happens, because it feels as though you are going to topple over! Try that and see if that works for you.

doubletoe
02-06-2007, 12:29 PM
Lyle

Bend the takeoff knee deeper, pull the takeoff side shoulder back more, and *wait* for it to curl. Your knee should be lined up right over your toe and your chest should be over your knee.
As you curl the edge, press the ball of the blade into the ice before rolling up onto the toe and springing up. The reason you pull your takeoff side shoulder back is twofold: (1) it keeps your weight over the takeoff/landing side, and (2) it creates tension that gives you a good snap and more rotation as soon as you leave the ice and your shoulders square up with your hips again.

Morgail
02-07-2007, 10:10 AM
These are great suggestions! I hadn't thought about waiting for the edge to curl on the loop...that should help a lot:)