View Full Version : just starting figure skating which skates advice plz

jimjamiejames
02-04-2007, 11:57 AM
fist off hey! im new to the forum but looks like a great place full of good info

im just getting into figure skating and want to get my own skates.

in my local shop they sell the jackson marquis an baleti classic in mens sizes and wondered what ppl thought about them.

at the mo im air on the side of the jackson cause they have 4 hooks unlike the baleti's which only have 3 and i thought the extra support might be good for learning. while looking them both up on the web a few sites say the classic is synthetic leather an some say its real leather so unsure on this.

anybody skated with these boots and what do you think plz

thanks in advance

Mrs Redboots
02-04-2007, 01:06 PM
Buy whichever fits your feet better. Tell the assistant that you need a basic beginner pair of boots and blades.

Stiffer isn't necessarily better - some boots are designed for people doing triple and quadruple jumps, and would be nearly impossible for a beginner to learn in. You need a beginner's boot right now.

jimjamiejames
02-04-2007, 01:10 PM
Buy whichever fits your feet better. Tell the assistant that you need a basic beginner pair of boots and blades.

Stiffer isn't necessarily better - some boots are designed for people doing triple and quadruple jumps, and would be nearly impossible for a beginner to learn in. You need a beginner's boot right now.

yeah i'll hold of the triples for now lol just wondered if anyone had any experience with either boot

sk8_4fun
02-04-2007, 01:21 PM
I had belati classics as first skates and they are real leather. they also are a slightly wider fit so they are very comfortable and didn't take much breaking in. I don't have any experience of the jackson ones though.

Helen88
02-04-2007, 02:58 PM
I got Belatis as my first boots too - well - I've still got them - only had them for about 6 months. I've got really wide feet and they fitted better that the Risports I tried on. I'm clueless about blades though - I just use the ones they came with and get them sharpened when then need it ;)

cecealias
02-05-2007, 12:25 AM
my best piece of advice for beginner skates are the kind that provide enough support but not too much - enough so that you can bend comfortably but not feel like your ankle is going to wobble over. too much boot and it will feel restrictive and also leave you prone to injury.

at this point, the blades aren't really that important - just get what you can afford. if you're going to be committed for the long haul - skating daily for years, then it makes sense to have a nice blade.