View Full Version : Back Changes of Edge

SkatingOnClouds
02-01-2007, 02:06 AM
I'm working on the figure pattern for the Australian ISA test Elementary 1. You do crossovers into a FO edge, hold that until you get back to the long axis, then do a FI3 which you hold for 1/4 circle. After you've done about 6 repetitions, you do the same thing starting on inside edges, and the same thing done on the back edges.

I seem to do the forward changes without too much trouble (- although my coach hasn't picked them to pieces yet ), with good speed and flow, but am really struggling with the back edge changes.

If I get the change, I can't keep my balance afterwards, so that tells me I'm doing something wrong in the change.

Anyone got any hints or tips on how to do these?

AW1
02-01-2007, 04:54 AM
Will be interested to see what replies you get Karen. My daughter is also working on these and like you, her front ones are very good. But with her back ones, pretty much as soon as she's turned from back to front, she stops almost dead in her tracks....

Mrs Redboots
02-01-2007, 06:23 AM
I'm not sure I understand what you have to do - is this a plain change-of-edge, or is there a 3-turn involved?

If the latter, I can't help - my back 3s are very far to seek. I do know why - I don't have my weight nearly far enough back on my blade, so get almost no glide out of them.

If it's the former, just a plain change-of-edge with no change of direction involved, it's all in the knee-bend and ankle rock. I don't think you can cheat backwards changes-of-edge by using your free leg the way you can forwards ones.

Haven't played with these for ages - must have a go. I have put them in one of our free dances, but with a partner everything is a lot easier! It's quite fun skating round the rink doing huge changes-of-edge in waltz hold, him going forwards and you going backwards!

phoenix
02-01-2007, 08:45 AM
That sounds like a good exercise! I have something similar but w/ 2 three turns; forward 3, to 1/2 power pull/change edge, then backward 3.

I'd recommend lots of back power pulls to get really strong w/ shifting weight & changing edges. Work on the knee action that makes that possible.

When working on your pattern, I'd suggest focusing on staying really DOWN on your skating knee as you hold that long BO glide. Just before you change the edge, deepen the knee bend even more, then there will be a short "pull" like a mini power pull, and the edge will deepen even more and then you rise up in the knee as you change the edge over. Then you'll go BACK DOWN deep again, and rise up again for the three turn.

IMO this exercise is all about control & core strength, & learning to use your knees will be what makes it much easier.

Isk8NYC
02-01-2007, 09:41 AM
I seem to do the forward changes without too much trouble (- although my coach hasn't picked them to pieces yet ), with good speed and flow, but am really struggling with the back edge changes.

If I get the change, I can't keep my balance afterwards, so that tells me I'm doing something wrong in the change.Is it "Elementary 1 Figure Pattern Diagram (3&4)" from THIS PDF (http://www.isa.org.au/Documents/Rulebook/ISA_Rulebook_V-7-1_May_2006_Appendix%20B.pdf)?

Be sure to ride the before and after edges, bend your knees before and after you change edges.
Your ankles have to press to the side to ensure you get a deep edge.

You come up slightly on the knee to change edge, and use your free foot to "steer" the movement.
Make it a quick change or you'll end up on a flat or you'll skid a bit and lose momentum.

Your free leg/knee lifts/opens on the inside pull, tucks behind on the outside pull.
The arms/shoulders check across the body on the outsides, over the free side on the insides.

That's some test - I'd love to see a video of a passing test standard. I'm going to print it out and try to do it myself. (Betcha I can't, but I'll have fun trying!)

Here in the US, our MITF tests have "power pulls" (mentioned earlier) that are similar but the lobes are much smaller than your test diagram shows. (1.5 X skater's height???!!!! 8O Yowtch!)

BatikatII
02-01-2007, 12:58 PM
Is it "Elementary 1 Figure Pattern Diagram (3&4)" from THIS PDF (http://www.isa.org.au/Documents/Rulebook/ISA_Rulebook_V-7-1_May_2006_Appendix%20B.pdf)?

Those exercises are similar to what one of our dance teachers used to try and get us to do for a dance moves class she took. The difference being that we did crossrolls rather than basic edges before holding the edge in a circle.The backwards ones are much harder than forwards and particularly the back inside one for me. I must try them again now that I remember them!

SkatingOnClouds
02-01-2007, 03:53 PM
Is it "Elementary 1 Figure Pattern Diagram (3&4)" from THIS PDF (http://www.isa.org.au/Documents/Rulebook/ISA_Rulebook_V-7-1_May_2006_Appendix%20B.pdf)?...
Here in the US, our MITF tests have "power pulls" (mentioned earlier) that are similar but the lobes are much smaller than your test diagram shows. (1.5 X skater's height???!!!! 8O Yowtch!)

Yes, that's the one. Ignore the Preliminary patterns in that PDF, it is the Elementary 1. the 1.5 times the skater's height hark back to the days of compulsory figures. Because you get to take 2 strokes and then 2 crossovers prior to the edge into the change of edge, you have a fair bit of speed going into it, so it is quite easy to make circles that size. The trick is to maintain that flow.

IMO this exercise is all about control & core strength, & learning to use your knees will be what makes it much easier.

AArrrgh! Why is that the answer to everything I can't do? My core body strength has really improved, but obviously still has a way to go. My 47 year old knees just don't like bending that much.
Ah, well these are all good tips to work on. As always, I am looking for the magical, miracle cure that makes it all possible without the hard work.:roll:

doubletoe
02-01-2007, 04:22 PM
I find that edge changes work best when I focus on using a deep ankle bend rather than focusing on my knee (although the knee automatically comes into play). I'm thinking the ankle action required for the back power pulls would warm you up for this change of edge as well. The power pulls start off as shorter, quicker changes of edge, but if you can build up some momentum and press against the ice hard enough with each change of edge, you can work up to holding a longer edge before each change. To go onto an inside edge, drop the ankle to the inside (so the inside of the ankle faces down to the ice) and push against the ice with the inside of the blade. To change to an outside edge, drop the ankle to the outside and push against the ice with the outside of the blade.

SkatingOnClouds
02-01-2007, 08:33 PM
Yes, i am working on back power pulls, though I can't say they're particularly powerful yet, I can get a rip sometimes. I think I use my free leg and body a lot more than would be acceptable for doing the figure patterns.

I can do it off ice beautifully of course, and can feel how it works with a knee bend then. I don't know what it is, but I am just not getting it - yet.

techskater
02-02-2007, 08:28 AM
I have skated the back serpentine figures (the OLD, OLD ones on the 2nd test). The thing about them is that you really have to be up over your body and the technique comes from the skating leg and adjustments in the obliques in order to maintain speed on them.