View Full Version : Competing

Luckster013
01-29-2007, 08:42 PM
I have a competition on sunday and I am sooo nervous because it is my first. Anyway, i have some last minute questions. First, how do you deal with changing rinks? The one i'm at now is kinda small and I worry i'll be facing a different direction at the competition, which might be hard to navigate when coming out of spins.
Also is there anything besides practing alot that I should be doing now? I'm trying to drink lots of water and stretch, but i'll do anything that will help. Alos, what can I do to deal with nerves? I'm not good in front of crowds and i'm already really, really nervous. Any advice will help!!
Thanks Alot!!

Thin-Ice
01-30-2007, 03:56 AM
Don't think of it as a competition... think of it as your own private ice session. No one will cut you off during your program but you don't get to spend an hour just a couple of minutes. So, just go out and enjoy it.

And don't worry, as awful as it sounds.. not everyone will be looking at you. Most of them will be waiting for their kid, looking for their friends, wondering how long until they skate... the judges will be looking at you.. and they've seen it ALL before: really good skaters, skaters who can barely stand up and probably even a skater who has completely forgotten what they are doing and just stood there. Remember to keep moving no matter what and LOOK like you're enjoying yourself, because that makes it easier for the audience and judges to enjoy what you're doing.

As for changing from rink to rink... get there early enough that you can stand at the boards and visualize where every element in your program will go, which wall you should push out towards when you come out of a spin, and see if there is something that's big enough that you'll see when coming out of a spin (a yellow wall, a big flag, the open glass to the lobby). And if you end up coming out the wrong way, don't worry about it.. no one else knows... just keep going and get back on track if you can and if not.. try to fill up all the ice.

Have FUN!!!!

Mrs Redboots
01-30-2007, 12:06 PM
Orient yourself by where the judges are sitting - normally along one of the long sides of the rink.

So if you are going to get a chance to practice your routine during the next few days, imagine there are judges in the right place (or ask your coach to go and stand where the judges sit, to get a judge's-eye view of your programme). When you get on the ice at the competition, go out there and face the judges, perhaps you could bow to them. That will help you orient yourself.

You'll get a chance to run through an abbreviated version of your routine in your warm-up, so you can position yourself on the ice, too.

Anyway don't worry about it. You can't control what the other skaters do, and you certainly can't control what the judges think; all you can do is go out there and have fun!

jskater49
01-30-2007, 12:38 PM
I've had some real nerve problems for both test and competition and only have begun this year to enjoy competing. Part of it is just keep doing it.

Figure out a 4 minute warm up that works for you and practice the warm up. A week before the competition, DO YOUR 4 MINUTE WARM UP the first thing you get on the ice so you get used to doing your program with only your warm up. I found that made a big difference cuz usually I need a half hour warm up.

A week or so before practice with you dress, no gloves, no sweater. Ask someone to watch you so you can practice peforming on demand.

J