View Full Version : U.S. Nationals Pairs programs - SPOILERS!

Isk8NYC
01-24-2007, 12:56 PM
This thread may contain spoilers.

Lark
01-26-2007, 11:36 PM
OHMYGOSH! I loved Wester and Okalski! They seem so "un-American" in their skating style, which is an odd compliment. Kind of sloppy Euro, to me at least. I liked them.

NOW, can someone tell me how they BARELY beat Inoue and Baldwin, when I&B made 2 major mistakes, and were just "OFF" the rest of the program. Were the judges just trying like all get out to give the title to I&B, and just could not find that extra 1/4 point? I was disappointed with the attempted robbery.

I will make more opinions tomorrow, I am tired.

MQSeries
01-27-2007, 08:08 AM
OHMYGOSH! I loved Wester and Okalski! They seem so "un-American" in their skating style, which is an odd compliment. Kind of sloppy Euro, to me at least. I liked them.

W&O's skating actually reminded me of the typical American style fromt the 80s and earlier - sort of like a mac truck going from one element to the next without any real finesse. They deserved their win but will need to develop more to be competitive with the world's elite pairs.

Too bad NNN&T couldn't land their throws, otherwise they would've been champion. I think they had the most charisma and the most difficult choreography, especially the circular footwork at the end. The sequence of side-by-side 3toes is what will make them competitive at the world level, but they must get the throw jumps down,

I&B does have a nice style and a nice presence on the ice that most of the young American teams don't have, but John and his non-existant 3toe is a sore spot. I wonder if the press constantly ask him about it?

Alexa
01-27-2007, 09:16 AM
I liked the team that won a lot as well. They had a nice flow that is missing with so many teams. I am not sure why I & B scored as high as they did, but overall the placements were not too bad. It would have been unfortunate to see I & B win with such a poor long program.

mobius
01-27-2007, 02:53 PM
I hope I/B retire after this season. I get bored watching them, like watching paint dry. I prefer to watch the new pairs champion and N/L. Nam has a lot of personality on ice. Did you notice that ESPN2 used N/L, instead of I/B in the promos to watch the pairs free skate. It's because N/L brings more excitement to skating than I/B.

Lark
01-27-2007, 08:25 PM
I&B are the American Pairs team that has the best chance of getting us a World medal in the next 5 years, IMO. I do not want them going anywhere.

mobius
01-28-2007, 12:42 AM
I&B are the American Pairs team that has the best chance of getting us a World medal in the next 5 years, IMO. I do not want them going anywhere.

The only thing that is keeping them in the top 5 is the throw triple axel. Even with a fully rotated fall, it probably still gets more points than a landed throw triple loop. Before the introduction of the throw triple axel, they were outside the top 10. Now even with a fall on the triple axel they are able to manage to be in the top 5. I don't think that it's likely that they will medal at Worlds unless the whole Chinese team drops out. They've got to contend with the Chinese and S/S. The best they can do is 4th place.

Lark
01-29-2007, 04:59 PM
I don't think that it's likely that they will medal at Worlds unless the whole Chinese team drops out. They've got to contend with the Chinese and S/S. The best they can do is 4th place.

I agree with you in theory, BUT I never thought I would live to see the day that Ryan Bradley medaled at Nationals! :bow: Anything is feasibly possible.