View Full Version : Aaaarrrrrrrggggghhhhhh!

Mrs Redboots
01-24-2007, 03:20 PM
Husband is trying to work out possible jump combinations and sequences for his free programme this year.

IT IS MAKING MY HEAD HURT!!!!!!

Thankfully, his coach has good NJS experience and can work out the highest-scoring things for him. Right now he is getting confused, I am getting confused and I can't remember what his coach suggested for a jump sequence for him anyway.

Grrrr. The man gets a salchow-loop in the morning and spends the evening trying to work out possible combinations.

Sorry, needed to vent to people who would understand it - I'm trying very hard not to demonstrate jumps in the front room as I banned jumping in here years ago due to furniture damage.....

kateskate
01-24-2007, 03:39 PM
I understand

I had that on Tuesday morning. Coach had to start writing them down and we kept ending up with too many loops

What has he got so far? Have you sorted it out?

I think mine is sorted. I could do one more combination but we may add that later....

doubletoe
01-24-2007, 04:30 PM
I'm surprised he's already going to be judged on the new judging system, even at the adult single jump level! 8O

jazzpants
01-24-2007, 04:34 PM
I'm surprised he's already going to be judged on the new judging system, even at the adult single jump level! 8O
Then again, it *IS* the UK we're talking here! :P (You guys in the UK... are you judged based the IJS system at competition solely or do you have lower levels events at 6.0 like the US too?)

kateskate
01-24-2007, 04:45 PM
As far as I know (well for all competitions I have done) all UK adult competitions are judged on 6.0 system. Lower level opens are too.

We are only worrying about the new judging system for competitions abroad.

I kept ending up with 3 loops in my programme. But I have it sorted now. :)

doubletoe
01-24-2007, 05:33 PM
Ahh, got it! Mountain Cup, Oberstdorf, etc. . . :)

Mrs Redboots
01-25-2007, 07:45 AM
Then again, it *IS* the UK we're talking here! :P (You guys in the UK... are you judged based the IJS system at competition solely or do you have lower levels events at 6.0 like the US too?)No, it's only the very elite skaters that have the NJS. Our lot get the relative system, only the judges are all thinking NJS and find it hard to change back (they've said as much!).

This is for the European competitions - Estonia, Mountain Cup, maybe Coupe de France.

But the WBP requirement is universal, whatever system one is going to be judged under. I hear on the grapevine that they're hoping to keep the requirements for adults pretty similar here in the UK this year, so that programmes won't need to be changed too much.

Mrs Redboots
01-25-2007, 07:50 AM
I had that on Tuesday morning. Coach had to start writing them down and we kept ending up with too many loops

What has he got so far? Have you sorted it out?

I think mine is sorted. I could do one more combination but we may add that later....

Well, it does depend on whether his flip is reliable, and whether he gets the loop-loop combinations. The main problem was that coach2 had instantly suggested a jump sequence for him, when I mentioned that he could have one this year, but I couldn't remember what she'd said was in it, apart from a half-loop (I suspect mazurka).

The flip will probably be done by itself, if at all, then there will be a loop-loop combination, and either his favourite salchow-cherry or even a cherry-cherry. But a sal-cherry would be better as then he has a spare one of each to put in the sequence! Plus the cherry flip is his worst jump - he taught it to himself and learnt an awful lot of bad habits along the way.

Oh dear, the man ought to be such a good skater - far better than me - and technically, he is. But sometimes he looks horrible doing it!

Team Arthritis
01-25-2007, 11:22 AM
I'm trying very hard not to demonstrate jumps in the front room as I banned jumping in here years ago due to furniture damage.....

Oh dear, the man ought to be such a good skater - far better than me - and technically, he is. But sometimes he looks horrible doing it!

http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/froehlich/c025.gif http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/froehlich/c025.gif http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/froehlich/c025.gif
ROTFLOL
remember when we boys grow older they just start calling us husbands
tell him to ROCK ON http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/frech/k010.gif http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/frech/k015.gif http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/frech/k015.gif

What my coach would do is change my program every week until it wouldn't phase me try any jump combo at a moments notice, then she'd pick the one that was my worst most likely missed combo and tell me that was the one I had to have in my program8O
Lyle

frbskate63
01-25-2007, 12:35 PM
The problem with combinations at bronze and silver level is that the Oberstdorf rules on jump repetition make it virtually impossible to use them all. At bronze level, you're allowed one combination of three jumps, and two combinations or sequences of two jumps. But with only five different jumps at your disposal, none of which can be used more than twice, and only two of them suitable as the second jump in a combination, there aren't enough permutations. Unless you can do something really freaky, like a lutz on both feet.

Isk8NYC
01-25-2007, 12:41 PM
Unless you can do something really freaky, like a lutz on both feet."Freaky" - that's a great description. I have one student who can jump equally in both directions.
(Note I didn't say how well he can jump, just that they're equal in both directions. LOL)
I thought a loop was a loop in scoring - if you could do loops on either foot, do they count separately in the total uses? That would encourage a lot of people to start working on opposite-direction jumps.

Team Arthritis
01-25-2007, 01:06 PM
shoot, I have enough trouble just doing wrong direction crossovers. Wife is trying to get me to jump wrong way too , sigh
Lyle

techskater
01-25-2007, 05:19 PM
Well, you CAN be creative at the Bronze/Silver level with 1/2 loop-salchow as the back end, falling leaf-step-salchow, 1/2 loop-flop, and falling leaf-step-flip.

Mrs Redboots
01-27-2007, 03:11 PM
Well, you CAN be creative at the Bronze/Silver level with 1/2 loop-salchow as the back end, falling leaf-step-salchow, 1/2 loop-flop, and falling leaf-step-flip.Which was something like what our Coach2 suggested off the top of her head!