View Full Version : PIC skates v Inline Skates v Roller Blades

peanutskates
01-23-2007, 11:46 AM
Which is better to help with ice skating progress?

And, where could I find CHEAP PIC skates?? The only thing I've been able to find is on the PIC website, where you have to buy everything separately, and it wil probably cost loads...

OK, some questions:
a)should I bother getting them? I would probably skate on PICs twice/thrice (?) a week unless I also skate to school on them.
b) is the boot the same as a figure skate boot? or is it like a roller skate boot?
c) do you think that people would look at me weirdly if I PIC-skated to school??
d) do PICs actually help skating progress, or are they a hinderance?

and e) does anyone have old PICs that they would sell to me for a cheaper price, or know of a place where I could find cheaper PICs than on the PIC website.

thank you all

Bill_S
01-23-2007, 12:47 PM
There's a very recent thread about PIC skates and other rockered inlines for artistic skating....

http://www.skatingforums.com/showthread.php?t=22526

Pro and con viewpoints have been expressed about how well skating skills transfer to the ice in that thread. I have better stroking and crossovers as a result, and my three-turns - after mastering them on PIC skates - are even easier to do on the ice. Others may have a differing opinion.

Boots for PIC skates should be figure skating boots. I've got Riedell Bronze Star skating boots on mine (wish they were the better Gold Star model, but oh well). You have to make sure the PIC frame size fits your boot, so be careful when buying just any pre-owned pair you find on the web.

If you get to skate two or three times per week, I'd say it was worth it. I skate once or twice per week in mine.

About people looking at you strangely if you skated to school ... they wouldn't think twice about a young person skating to class here at my university as long as the skates came off when inside a building, but I'm guessing that you're half a world apart from me. Attitudes could be different.

Remember that PICs are fitted with figure skating boots, and that they are time-consuming to get into and out of.

kayskate
01-23-2007, 07:22 PM
i used to quad skate to school when I was working on my MS. Kept sneakers in the lab to change into after I took off my quads. This was in mid-80s. I rolled though the building, into the elevator and to my lab. Loved it.

I had Pics installed on old ice boots. Good way to recycle broken down boots. IMO, they do not need to be as stiff as for ice, plus I were my boots very stiff.

Never did much flat inline skating. Tried it once and did not like the ski-style boots. I am interested in getting speed inlines for street skating though w/ low-rise boots.

Love quads for dance and exercise. Different eough from ice not to be confusing. But great to build muscle and stength.

Kay

peanutskates
02-25-2007, 11:37 AM
Where could I find a pair of PIC skates all ready with all parts present? On the PIC website, it seems you have to buy it all separately - boots, wheels, wheel frames... it seems very inconvenient and the cost would probably escalate SO high.

Has anyone used both PICs and normal inlines and thinks that PICs are nothing special? I don't want to spend a lot of money on skates that are basically the same as I could get for a 1/4 of the price.

Do you think that PICs will improve or damage even further my rubbish spins? I don't want to learn any bad techniques.

Bill_S
02-25-2007, 01:46 PM
Do you think that PICs will improve or damage even further my rubbish spins? I don't want to learn any bad techniques.

DON'T buy them to practice spins! IMO they are awful for spins, and while I can scratch spin acceptably on ice, I can't even begin to spin on PIC skates.

There are those who can indeed spin on PIC skates, but even they change the entry to a RBO, then step to the spin entrance.

When I try a typical scratch spin on my PICs, I usually re-discover that you don't have as much bite as you do on ice, and the step into the LFO usually skids sideways for me. If I manage to start the spin, often I rock onto the wrong part of the PICs and that stops the foot rotation cold. Of course the rest of your body is still rotating... you get the picture and it isn't pretty.

They have their place, but I considered them handicapped for spin practice.

BTW, when I bought mine, I got the whole package with frames, wheels, and boots. The OEM boots were soft but very comfortable... GAMS, I think, but I broke those down within 6 months. I replaced them with Riedells. Their web site still lists the whole package, boots and all for $429 (women's) and $489 (men's). Look for the Professional 700 package. There are less expensive packages available too like the Performer 440 package for $295 (women's).

das_mondlicht
02-25-2007, 02:29 PM
I don't have PICs. 4 years ago, I learned ice skating and roller blading around the same time. About half year later, I hang my roller blades and rarely took them for a ride. But, great benefit is roller blading has increased my strength and endurance on ice. I normally race 6 to 10 miles on roller blades. I also do backward on roller blades which makes all my friends laughing at me who treat roller blades like figure skates. But they are totally differnt from each other. I don't like the brake on roller blade. So, I do T-stop either foot to equal the wearing on wheels. I never try jumps or spin on them, so can't say anything about it. I can't see how to spin on roller blades. But, others may do.

DON'T buy them to practice spins! IMO they are awful for spins, and while I can scratch spin acceptably on ice, I can't even begin to spin on PIC skates.

Well, something to think about...I also have another pair of good quality boots which I thought about getting PICs, quads or a nice dance blade. These aren't cheap. So, I am still exploring which will win my bid.

kayskate
03-01-2007, 07:04 AM

I have to 2nd this. I am a very adv ice spinner and can barely do a 2-foot spin on my Pics. I do not use them for spinning at all and don't plan to invest the time as it would obviously confuse my technque on ice, which is far more important to me.

Kay

kayskate
03-02-2007, 09:57 AM
Just thought I'd post these links for those who have not seen them. These are the ultimate picskate vids. The woman is a champion on inline. Don't know a lot of details about her. She is Swiss champion NATHALIE BIEDERMANN. I think she also models on the picskate web site.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPXW1vVipIU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxxBDh4ATF8

Kay

sk8_4fun
03-02-2007, 10:10 AM
THAT IS AWESOME!!!!8O 8O That spread eagle type thing she does on her heels makes my eyes water. :bow:

flo
03-02-2007, 10:35 AM
I have pics on an old pair of Harlicks. They are much closer to skating than other options, but are still very different. I do not believe they help with skating, other than keeping you active. I can do threee turns and a few things, but it's a significantly different technique than on ice. But the are fun!