View Full Version : Finding the right dress

badaxel
01-22-2007, 07:31 PM
Since you all were so very helpful with my travel arrangements for AN in the other thread, I thought I would solicit your help with another huge problem. I think I waited too long into the season to buy a dress, and now I can't seem to find one. I thought I ordered one over a week ago, but I found out today that they don't have it and can't order it. Where do you all get your dresses? Is it too late in the season to get a really great one? When do the major companies come out with new dresses? Please help, I'm panicking right now! :giveup:

Thanks!
Chris

Debbie S
01-22-2007, 10:18 PM
Hey, badaxel, I liked your dress at HC - I thought it went well with the music - the color was great. :)

If you're in the market for a new dress, though, you may want to check out the SkateWeb site's "Pro Shop" links page at http://frogsonice.com/skateweb/business.shtml
It's definitely not too late to get a dress - dress companies tend to come out with dresses at different times - mostly in the fall, but I noticed that several of the major dress companies haven't yet - at least, their sites have the same dresses as last year. Sharene Skatewear still has last year's dresses and they are on sale. Also, Figure Skater's Resource is a good site for dresses from a variety of companies and many are priced at a discount. Pros Edge Sports and Skatebuys also have a lot of dresses.

I got my FS program dress from Del Arbour. It was semi-custom - meaning I chose one of their styles and picked a fabric and color from the list of possibilities - it just so happened that the fabric and color I wanted (royal blue lycra - go figure) wasn't available in the stock style I wanted. You can pretty much create whatever you want that way, and prices are pretty reasonable - the same range of what you'd pay for a stock dress. Sizing is the same as stock dresses. I think it took about 3-4 weeks from time of order to the dress arriving at my door. That's an option if you can't find a stock dress anywhere that you want.

Imperial Sportswear has some very pretty dresses, but many are quite expensive - $150 to $300 range - and stoning (to match the pictures - lol) is extra.

jenlyon60
01-23-2007, 04:51 AM
www.skate-buys.com often has a lot of Jerry brand skating dresses in stock. I've never dealt with them but have seen Skate-buys' display booths at competitions.

Skittl1321
01-23-2007, 06:55 AM
check www.tidewaterice.com

I haven't bought dresses from them, but they've been quick and helpful with all my other inquiries.

flo
01-23-2007, 10:47 AM
Badaxel - You're in good company - I haven't even started on mine yet - only sketches!

badaxel
01-23-2007, 05:58 PM
Hey, badaxel, I liked your dress at HC - I thought it went well with the music - the color was great. :)

Hey, thanks! I was thinking of using it again, but I my confidence was shaken a little at HC when I saw that everyone else had nicer dresses than mine. I know it shouldn't matter, but it kind of does anyway. I had forgotten about Del Arbour- they have some nice stuff, but it takes 8 weeks to order, and I wanted my dress in time for sectionals. I was thinking of maybe putting some crystals on the dress I used at HC, though. I don't know yet, so, please, keep the advice coming!

doubletoe
01-23-2007, 06:02 PM
I was very happy with the dress I ordered from Sharene Skatewear (www.shareneskatewear.com). I got it 2-3 days after I put in the order! They also do some semi-custom work.

Mainemom
01-24-2007, 09:01 AM
And don't forget E-Bay! I just picked up a gorgeous black velvet dress for my daughter for only $38 - never worn and beautiful slinky velvet. I'll need to jazz it up for the competition but as a base you can't beat the price!

LilJen
01-24-2007, 06:03 PM
I second the recommendation for e-bay!!!

manleywoman
01-24-2007, 06:47 PM
I ordered a Del Arbour dress just last week (luckily their Ladies 8-10 fits me like a glove, so I didn't need it custom.) My coach loved it, so I sent it back to them to have it beaded, and it should arrive in about 10 days. They do great work if you want them to do it, or you can buy one of their stock dresses and bead it yourself. (I;ve never beaded before, so I figured I'd let them do it!)

Jeanmarie
01-24-2007, 08:33 PM
I recently ordered a Del Arbour dress. I got it two days after ordering. For embellishment I have a sequin bolero type top that a seamstress friend is hacking up and using as an over-lay for the skirt. If you end up beading yourself this is my favorite sequin shop:

http://www.ccartwright.com/

I like to get beads and things from:

http://www.jewelrysupply.com/

... finally, it can be a little expensive, but sometimes there is neat trim and stuff at:

http://www.mjtrim.com/

flo
01-25-2007, 09:04 AM
Jeanmarie - Thanks for the links.

I sent off a request for quote to 6-0, but I'll probably end up buying the leotard and painting it and the fabric for the skirt.

Anyone have any sizing experience with the M.Stevens milliskin leotards?
Thanks

coskater64
01-25-2007, 09:08 AM
I use usicewear.com (http://www.usicewear.com) they customize my dresses and change the colors very easily. They tend to have a lower skirt line but they are very flattering for those of us who are too tall. I also like their sizing I wear a ladies small in their dresses, when I usually wear a medium, they will do custom bead work and also have a large variety of colors.

Leslie

Scarlett
01-25-2007, 02:12 PM
I just ordered my first dress from del arbour. It looks wonderful on, the price was reasonable, and it arrived in ~4 days. My only warning is that their sizing is a little off which is wonderful for those of us who are a little on the chunkier side but might be a problem for any of you smaller ladies.

twokidsskatemom
01-25-2007, 05:24 PM
http://www.customskatewear.com/

manleywoman
01-25-2007, 06:00 PM
I just ordered my first dress from del arbour. It looks wonderful on, the price was reasonable, and it arrived in ~4 days. My only warning is that their sizing is a little off which is wonderful for those of us who are a little on the chunkier side but might be a problem for any of you smaller ladies.

Well. I think that depends on the body. Their Ladies 8-10 is the best fit in any skating dress I've ever tried on from anyone else.

CaraSkates
01-25-2007, 07:02 PM

I love Del Arbour. I agree with manleywoman, best fit I've ever found. I'd also like to point out that my one friend is a skinny little thing who is normally an Adult XS and Del Arbour 's 0-2 fits her pretty well (one dress was actually too small). I love their Ladies 8-10, it's almost a perfect custom fit on me and their skirt flatters my body type. This is coming from a average sized teen with curves! If I had no hips I could wear pants 2 sizes smaller. :)

Scarlett
01-25-2007, 07:50 PM
Sorry I guess I was misunderstood. That is what I was getting at. Most dresses from other manufacturers that I tried on where under the belief that all women were either very thin or had bodies with minimal curves. With DelArbour, I felt that the sizing or maybe the cut was different from other manufacturers where I had to try on dresses 2-3 sizes larger than my dress size to make up for my curves.

I am glad that the dresses worked well for you both.

flo
01-26-2007, 01:50 PM
Found a simple dress that's the basic style I was looking for and ordered it in white at an amazing price. Time to get out the paints!

badaxel
01-27-2007, 06:38 PM
I really appreciate all of the advice! I think I'm going to use usicewear. I really like the look when the underskirt is a different color, and they had some nice designs like that. I really like the Sharene dresses, too, so I think I will probable get one of those next time! I let you all know how it turns out!

SDFanatic
01-28-2007, 12:47 PM
http://www.skatingforums.com/showpost.php?p=295457&postcount=5