View Full Version : Ballet, Yoga, & other cross-training

sunjoy
01-22-2007, 01:12 PM
I'd like to hear your experiences with ballet or yoga, and what direct benefits they've had for your skating. Here's mine:

I took my first ever ballet class -- private, with an aquantance fortunately, so no issues with 'blending in'. It was very hard, even for me to do the most basic movements properly, and I questioned whether I'd want to continue, or go back to doing Iyengar yoga, which I felt might better condition my muscles to the point where I might actually be able to *do* the ballet stuff.

Next day I went skating, and felt an *immediate* benefit from the ballet. There's a movement called a ronde-de-jambe (hold the barre, stretch the free-foot out to the side, keeping the balls of your feet on the floor, then draw it back in an arc to a position behind you, still touching the floor: emphasis on keeping pelvis stable).

That one excercise did amazing things for my forward stroking. I noticed that I'd been letting my pelvis flap around while stroking, and became mindful of putting a stop to it. The ronde-de-jambe also solved the dilemma I felt from having been told in speedskating to always push *sideways* with the back 1/3 of the blade, and figure skating telling me to push more backwards and point the toe. Solution for me was to push sideways, then draw my leg back with a stable pelvis just like in the r-d-j. Nice powerfull push, nice extension and toe-point.

And wow! was I fast. My guess is that this was due to stabilizing the pelvis. Perhaps also due to getting better extension at the end of the push.

I'm still a little resistant to practicing the ballet on my own (and especially to practicing pilates): it's just not as fun as skating or yoga, both of which decidedly *don't* feel like work to me. I might legitimately feel this way about pilates, but hopefully as I get better with ballet i'll start enjoying the experience of it?

Team Arthritis
01-22-2007, 01:21 PM
I think that Yoga has helped my skating tremendously and I practice atleast a little each day. Trying to get more nimble, I've been on a dance kick lately taking HipHop tonight (no kidding middle aged white guy - atleast I have rythmhttp://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/cool0013.gif (http://www.thesmilies.com)) Zumba Wednesdays and Ballroom dance Sat PM's. I'm a fan of Tiger Woods philosophy. I also spin once a week - really helps with endurance but BORING, so once a week is enough.
Lyle

TashaKat
01-22-2007, 01:21 PM
I did ballet, yoga, pilates, jazz, contemporary, street dance .... loads of dance :)

I found that it was great for strength, suppleness, body awareness, muscle tone and evening you out (I always felt that skaters should learn to do everything on both sides rather than only spinning and jumping one way).

It did hinder me in some things though like mohawks! I could easily turn out my feet and change that way so it was a bit of a chore to have to learn to do it properly :) I also found spins quite difficult especially the camel as I naturally wanted to go on pointe or demi pointe!!!

I think that on the whole though ballet etc were more helpful than they were unhelpful :) I love the grace, the elegance and the lines that ballet gives you and am more drawn to artistic performances on the ice than to the out and out jump fests!

I have to say that I absolutely adore ballet but then I did it from when I was 4 so it was pretty much in my blood :) I love the discipline, the focus, the purity ....

Scarlett
01-22-2007, 01:34 PM
I have just started ballet (~4 months ago) and I have found that it is already helping. I have a greater awareness of my arms and my hips and found that it is strenghtening my core. I found that it is also a great help with turning out my extremely closed hips. The only downfall that I have noticed is that occasionally I swing my legs to high on my spin entries and I tend to go into demi-pointe occasionally. I apologize for the typos but my dog is "helping" me type.

doubletoe
01-22-2007, 01:41 PM
Aww, nice doggy. . .
Thanks for giving me an excuse for why I used to swing my free leg too high when I was first learning my spins! And yes, I have also always gotten away with doing my mohawks like a plie (since I have good turnout) so it's been really hard to learn them with the correct form! So I blame the ballet I took when I was growing up. . . although I also credit ballet with my spread eagles and spirals. ;)

Team Arthritis
01-22-2007, 03:05 PM
One bad thing about ballet - it teaches you not to lean. Leaning is crucial for a good edge. This gives my wife fits.
Lyle

Rob Dean
01-22-2007, 03:20 PM
I also spin once a week - really helps with endurance but BORING, so once a week is enough.

It's the off season, but I bicycle a lot* during the summer, and put on my cold weather gear and do it when I can at this time of the year. I wouldn't be able to muster the dedication to work a stationary bike, but I'd agree that it translates into a lot of endurance. My knees are always done before I'm winded ...

Rob

*The bicyclists don't consider it to be a lot, but I was trying to do 100 miles or so each week in the summer; at this time of the year, I'm lucky to get in more than two 12-14 mile rides at lunch most weeks.

Paulie86
01-22-2007, 07:12 PM
During the school terms I do an hour long stretching/ballet class at my rink. I went for about 6 weeks last yr before school finished for the year and I noticed such a difference in my flexibility and in my skating. I intend to start up again this yr once school goes back.

Team Arthritis
01-23-2007, 10:08 AM
*The bicyclists don't consider it to be a lot, but I was trying to do 100 miles or so each week in the summer; at this time of the year, I'm lucky to get in more than two 12-14 mile rides at lunch most weeks.

Sure sounds nice! I live in THE MOST DANGEROUS state in the US for bicycle riding, way way too many riders killed or maimed here. I rarely ride the roads anymore - sigh
Lyle