View Full Version : new skates

KiZa_32
01-22-2007, 01:30 AM
hey
i'm saving up to get new skates and i was just wondering what is a really good brand to buy...i need alot of ankle support because i have really weak ankles....just your opinion on what u think is a good brand
thanks

TashaKat
01-22-2007, 02:02 AM
Whatever fits the shape of your foot!

My preference is for Harlicks with Wifas coming second. There isn't another boot on the market that I've tried that I'd buy (though I haven't tried Klingbeils which I believe are excellent).

Harlicks are the ONLY boots that I've bought that haven't killed my feet. I like Wifas for Dance (Super Goldstars) but not for Free, the Diamonds killed my ankle bones but weren't that supportive.

I hate, loathe and detest Risports and am not that keen on Belatis (killed my feet and then died, I had about a week where they were 'comfortable').

The best thing to do is to go to a good skate shop and try different brands on, walk around in them for a while and if they hurt in the shop or are a bit uncomfortable they are going to be much worse on the ice!

I don't know what level you are but don't be tempted to buy something that is too strong as you won't be able to break the skates in properly and it could make you very miserable. It would be better to do some exercises to strengthen your ankles than to buy boots that are too much for you.

Good luck :)

Ice Dancer
01-22-2007, 11:11 AM
I hate, loathe and detest Risports and am not that keen on Belatis (killed my feet and then died, I had about a week where they were 'comfortable').

Whereas I love my Risports! I find them so comfortable and I am someone who hates wearing normal boots.

It is definately a personal oppinion so get down the pro shop and try plenty on.

Petlover
01-22-2007, 11:45 AM
I love my Klingbeils! I have weak ankles, and they give me lots of support. Good luck with whatever you try!

NickiT
01-22-2007, 12:29 PM
There's no right or wrong answer. Different boots suit different people. It's down to personal preference, comfort, shape and width of your foot and so on. The best thing to is go to a professional skate fitter who will fit you with the right boots for your feet and your level of skating.

Nicki

sk8erel
01-22-2007, 01:44 PM
hey
i'm saving up to get new skates and i was just wondering what is a really good brand to buy...i need alot of ankle support because i have really weak ankles....just your opinion on what u think is a good brand
thanks

Hi! You should definetely try out EDEA OVERTURE figure skates. They are so comfy. I think i bought some Risport skates to start with, but i had to take them back because they weren't comfy enough. But these are really comfy, they adjust to your feet so well if you wear them in around the house a lot (i mean a lot). That's where the comfort comes from!
You can buy them at most rinks, and also online. If you visit www.national-ice-centre.com, i'm sure they''ll be there! C U sk8erel, England...The Midlands.;) :bow:

doubletoe
01-22-2007, 01:49 PM
What level do you skate? What jumps are you working on? How much do you weigh? These are the factors that will determine what kind of boot to get, especially what stiffness to get. Also, your "weak ankles" may not really be the problem, so don't assume you need stiff boots (which can be very bad for your ankles, knees, hips, back and feet!). If the boot fits you snugly all the way from the toes to the heel, you will not have wobbly ankles and you won't need to get such a stiff boot. So make sure you get a perfect fit, even if it means getting a boot that is a different width in the ankle than the front of the foot. Jackson, Reidell, SP Teri, Harlick, Klingbeil, Graf. . . they're all good boots, so get the brand that is the right shape for your feet.