View Full Version : Editing and cutting music

miraclegro
01-21-2007, 04:47 PM
Okay, ya'll, in order to try to save money, i am trying to learn to cut my own music. The sad thing is: I don't really know what i'm doing!

I have my daughter's program that she uses for her musical talent, and it is called "Music Creator 3". I've figured out so far how to get it copied over into the program, and am fooling around with some stuff, but am confused about the cutting and splicing.

The song is "At Last" sung by Michael Bolton and from his "Vintage" album and i am also trying to figure out how to cut it to 1:30 for an ISI number because i like the opening part of the song very much. Any suggestions will help, since i am faking it already!

Skittl1321
01-21-2007, 04:55 PM
I dowloaded a program callled "Audacity" on Mrs Redboots suggestion- google it for the exact website. It was very easy to figure out and lets you cut the music, fade in, fade out, and wonderfully for me- slow down or speed it up (as well as a ton of other funtions I haven't needed)!

Essentially I just decided what sections I didn't need (I'm cutting Steppenwolf's Magic Carpet Ride) and highlighted it and clicked the cut button. Then I "zoomed in" so I could get the exact cut and fade I needed. Then I slowed the tempo down, so it wasn't too fast for me, and adjusted the pitch because changing the tempo changed the pitch- it was all very intuitave.

miraclegro
01-21-2007, 05:02 PM
That sounds like a much simpler program. How much was it to get?

miraclegro
01-21-2007, 05:04 PM
I googled it, but am not sure which to pull up. Any help?

Skate@Delaware
01-21-2007, 06:06 PM
Ok, here is the link to the site:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

You would download the version that you wish-the "stable" version is 1.2.6 whereas the "beta" version might have a glitch or two (key word-might). I have the beta and haven't discovered any glitch. I suspect there are glitches with the higher-level commands.

If you wish to convert to MP3's you also need to download the additional program. Follow the instructions on the website.

I also HIGHLY ENCOURAGE you to follow the tutorials!!!!!

This free program is wonderful and I've used it many, many times (not just for skating, but for changing pitch of a song-daughter is soprano and I can re-key a song just for her pitch :lol: ).

miraclegro
01-21-2007, 06:52 PM
Thanks so much for the info! I am looking to get busy with it soon!

miraclegro
01-21-2007, 08:03 PM
Is this a program mostly for the UK? I am in the US and it doesn't want to read my files from Windows Media Player and i don't know how to get it to read them....

miraclegro
01-21-2007, 08:06 PM
SkateDelaware,

Where do i find the tutorials ?.....(sorry to be so needy)....

Skate@Delaware
01-21-2007, 08:55 PM
SkateDelaware,

Where do i find the tutorials ?.....(sorry to be so needy)....

Not to worry, just point and click here:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/help/

scroll down to where it says "tutorials" You can also look at the on-line documentation. The tutorials also go into great detail how to transition 2 pieces of music together (tres cool!!!!!)

for the MP3 plug-in...

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/windows and look for the LAME MP3 encoder (which isn't really lame at all but necessary if you want to encode as mp3's)...click on it and follow the directions!

Skate@Delaware
01-21-2007, 08:56 PM
Is this a program mostly for the UK? I am in the US and it doesn't want to read my files from Windows Media Player and i don't know how to get it to read them....
It will work with .wav files and .wma so you should be ok. It is a program used world-wide. I have a converter program (came with my mp3 player) but the new Windows Media Player also has a built-in converter if you need to convert from one to the other (except to iTunes format/Apple). So, this will work for you.

If it makes it easier for you, copy the file you are editing to the desktop of your computer and work from there. It's easier to find and you are only working with a copy in case you accidentally save over the original. Not usually a worry because your changes are NOT final until you save your file and overwrite the original....but better safe than sorry!!!

coskater64
01-21-2007, 08:57 PM
I use a program called Peak, it works with my Mac's and outputs into a variety of different formats. It is very simple but costs about 89 USD.