View Full Version : Collision

russiet
01-21-2007, 07:38 AM
I use the center circle during busy public skate sessions. I have powers of avoidance that I use regularly. I have observed many instances where I would have impacted people cutting across the circle if I didn't either slow, stop or veer. So I do.

Because I have higher abilities than most people at the public skates, I hold myself to a higher standard. I must not let myself hit any one. I feel it my responsibility.

Well I seem to have screwed up yesterday. I bumped into one of the nicest adult onset skaters and knocked her to the ice. I'm feeling bad about this one.

At the public skate yesterday, I thought I had a clear path all the way down one side. I started into back power pulls, good speed and large lobes. My intention was to turn forward at the centerline.

Meanwhile this woman (that has been practicing so very hard, but has not progressed too much yet) was using the center circle. I had not seen her as she slowly was working her way around the circle.

One of my pp lobes went inside the edge of the circle and I felt small bump from behind. It was a complete suprise to me. I was fine, stayed on my feet & came to an immediate stop. I looked down and I see this woman, whom I had met previously, sprawled on the ice & looking in pain. I feel horrible about this.

I sat down on the ice with her and apologized. I helped her up and she continued to practice for another 20 minutes before leaving the ice. She said her shoulder hurt. She had hurt it previously from a different fall but this hadn’t helped it.

I don't know where I'm going with this, other than to share an uncomfortable moment that I've never encountered before.

I have my fingers crossed that she 's OK today.

Damn.

Jon

Isk8NYC
01-21-2007, 08:44 AM
Don't be too hard on yourself, Jon. It happens to everyone, and the accident COULD have been much, much worse.

(No one is perfect. That's why we have insurance companies. ;) )

Sonic
01-21-2007, 09:30 AM
Yeah, don't beat yourself of. We all do it even with our best efforts.

The main thing is you apologised and helped her up, it's not like you just skated off and left her.

S xx

NickiT
01-21-2007, 09:48 AM
As others have said, these things happen to the best of us. You certainly did all you could by apologising, helping her up and checking she was OK. Many a skater barely apologises when they collide with another so your caring attitude would have been much appreciated.

Nicki

sue123
01-21-2007, 10:07 AM
Agree with everyone else. Sometimes these things just can't be avoided. Don't beat yourself up over it.

kayskate
01-21-2007, 10:12 AM
Most ppl just yell "heads!" and hope everyone will clear out of their way, granted this is usually on a FS, but I still find it rude. Sorry, if this is perfectly acceptable, I just think ppl need to be more couteous to each other and get to know others rather than just yelling at them. Most ppl will have a collision or near collision and just shout "sorry" over their shoulder and keep skating. Happens all the time. Glad to hear you were kind, caring and apologetic.

Kay

phoenix
01-21-2007, 10:36 AM
These things do happen, and sometimes people just come out of nowhere.

Incidentally, it's a good idea to learn how to do a quick "sight check" over a shoulder while doing back power pulls.

mdvask8r
01-21-2007, 10:49 AM
I second everything mentioned above and will add that the other skater must also bear some of the responsibility of watching for others.

dbny
01-21-2007, 11:17 AM
These things do happen, and sometimes people just come out of nowhere.

Incidentally, it's a good idea to learn how to do a quick "sight check" over a shoulder while doing back power pulls.

I second everything mentioned above and will add that the other skater must also bear some of the responsibility of watching for others.

ITA, but will add that even with a "sight check", some accidents are unavoidable. I can cite two examples:
In one, my younger DD was warming up before her Juv MIF test, doing B cross strokes and looking behind her every third stroke. I have this on tape, so I'm sure of what happened. A younger boy, who was warming up for his Prelim MIF stepped directly into her path just after she had looked back. He had been standing at the boards, and moved without looking at all. She collided with him, and dropped onto her butt like a ton of bricks. Fortunately, she wasn't injured and was able to test (and pass). The kid who caused it didn't fall at all and acted like nothing had happened. I put the blame on his coach for never instructing him to be aware of other skaters.

The second example also involved my younger DD. She had just finished a lesson with her coach and was practicing B power pulls. She looked back and saw her coach in her path and tried to stop. She didn't quite stop in time, and her coach, who saw her coming, chose to stay in place and put out her palm, which she had done many times before. Somehow, things didn't go as expected, and the coach's wrist broke from the impact 8O. My DD felt terrible, but her coach didn't blame her at all, and said it was a testament to the power of DD's power pulls :lol:.

sunjoy
01-21-2007, 11:38 AM
The one nightmare I have is of landing a jump into some kid who's errantly strayed into the center of the rink. I aborted a toe yesterday because I'd swung my foot on the 3, and as I stopped on the pick, a girl had appeared right there behind me. 8O

Public skates are chaotic things. And it's certainly up to those of us who *can* skate in control to not make it worse for those who either can't or have been knocked off course by those who *won't*.

Original poster did the right thing. You can only be so cautious, and courtesy should make up the rest.

sk8_4fun
01-21-2007, 12:05 PM
I agree, and a little courtesy goes along way. You shouldn't let it worry you any more.

Ice Dancer
01-21-2007, 02:40 PM
I agree, you did what you could. If only more people were as nice. The amount of times I've had to shout out "Hello" when people have been coming backwards at me, and the most I've had is a giggle in response. One lady who I now know quite well said "Hello" back, although she did tell me before the incident she has a habit of doing it so shout at her if she comes too close :frus:

Morgail
01-21-2007, 04:15 PM
It does happen to everyone. I had a little girl skate backwards (not looking at all) into my extended free leg while I was doing a waltz eight during a lesson. She went down rather hard on the ice, and of course it didn't hurt me at all. She said she was fine, but later during the session my coach and I saw her crying with a friend. I felt awful... All you can really do is be nice and check that they aren't hurt too badly.

doubletoe
01-21-2007, 06:56 PM
Regardless of skill level, everyone is capable of looking around every few seconds to stay aware of who is around them, who is in their way, and who is heading their way. In other words, it was not 100% your fault; the lower level adult skater should have kept an eye peeled, too. But people generally don't become more aware of other skaters without a few collisions, so consider this incident a contribution to everyone's learning process and future safety. :)

teresa
01-21-2007, 10:35 PM
It sounds like you were kind and sorry. Accidents happen when you skate and nobody wants to run into someone. I'm not sure doing power pulls at a public session was a good idea though. For your safety and theirs I'd stay visual the whole time at a public skate.

teresa

TashaKat
01-22-2007, 02:17 AM
Jon, of course you feel bad but it happens to all of us. At least you DO feel bad about it and did apologise which is a lot more than some people ever do!

The best thing to do next time you see her is to ask if she's ok and then leave it at that.

As others have said, though, don't beat yourself up about it x

russiet
01-22-2007, 05:39 AM
I appreciate the kind words.

Thin-Ice
01-22-2007, 06:33 AM
It's good you apologized and helped her up... and chances are you will see this lady again. To avoid some uncomfortable feelings, you might want to go over to her the next time you see her -- either while putting on skates or on the ice -- and just mention to her again that you're glad she's ok, and you're so sorry you didn't see her and how we all have to watch out for each other. If you do this with a smile in your voice and on your face, she should get the idea that you're not lecturing her about safety.. and that you are genuinely concerned about safety.

Team Arthritis
01-22-2007, 03:21 PM
you did your best, sigh, what else can you say. Maybe send her a card if you see she isn't on the ice at her regular time. Last time I ran into someone was a couple of years ago and there were only 2 of us on the ice8O

Last time I got run into was the top girl at our rink flying through the middle on the odd angle doing Sr moves without a look or glance (she's our local "nice girl" Bully). Ran into me doing a (hey really) centered scratch spin and gouged up my cool black blade runners. Nocked me sideways a foot but I stayed up:twisted:
Lyle

Isk8NYC
01-23-2007, 09:44 AM
I had a collision with a 50-something woman one day on a freestyle. She ended up going to the ER for stitches. I fell trying to hold her up, but I only had a few bruises. I sent her flowers and felt really, really guilty because she was off the ice for several weeks.

I had been the only person on the ice and I was doing a program runthrough with a back spiral when we collided. My blade cut her right above the boot.

When she came back to skating, she apologized TO ME. 8O She said that she was in the wrong, having opened a door that was locked and gotten on the ice skating backwards without looking. I had thought it was all my fault, when in fact, we were both a little wrong.

I find a lot of skaters don't go out of their way to be courteous. Last week at a freestyle, one of the little girl figure skaters collided with this big manly beginning skater. Forget the debate about whether or not he belonged on the ice for now. The interesting thing was that the kid, who slammed into him like a linebacker, never said a word of apology. He apologized several times and frankly, he took the worst of the collision. She hit him.

It's time to teach everyone that "Excuse me!" isn't enough.
We need to teach our younger skaters that "I'm sorry" is just as important, even if you weren't at fault.
(While we're at it, "Good Luck" doesn't mean "Hope I Lose to You.")

Hannah
01-23-2007, 03:05 PM
I knocked my 78-year-old coach down once. She was fine, but I've been paranoid about skating near her ever since. 8O