View Full Version : WFSC Adult Invitational *SPOILERS*

jenlyon60
01-21-2007, 05:26 AM
is now available for viewing/download

It's the link at the top of the club's web page

www.wfsc.net

Debbie S
01-21-2007, 03:11 PM
Thanks, Jen. Tim e-mailed the schedule yesterday and also sent a list of competitors - it figures the year I move up to Bronze, they schedule the Pre-Bronze Ladies on Saturday and the Bronze Ladies (at least my age group) on Sunday. I was looking forward to watching all of the MIF events for once without having to rush and get ready for my FS. Oh well, maybe next year - lol.

At least my Sat event isn't at the crack of dawn. 8-)

TimDavidSkate
01-31-2007, 08:54 AM
Good Luck to all you guys

skatingatty
01-31-2007, 11:16 PM
Good luck, everyone! I might show up to watch on Sunday. :)

jazzpants
02-01-2007, 12:49 AM
Good luck to all you guys going to NYI!!!

KICK SOME ICE BUTTS!!! :D :D :D :twisted:

Terri C
02-01-2007, 06:32 PM
Safe travels to all who are travelling tomorrow,
Good luck and hugs to everyone- I'm really going to miss being there this year, but as Arnold says:

I'LL BE BACK!!!

Isk8NYC
02-02-2007, 04:14 PM
Good luck everyone!

TimDavidSkate
02-03-2007, 10:19 PM
Anybody has the placements for Silver and Gold Men? :halo:

2salch0w
02-03-2007, 11:42 PM
Anybody has the placements for Silver and Gold Men? :halo:

Just got back from Virginia. This was a really nice event with some very good skating. From memory ...

Silver Men: 1> Jeremy Balcom, 2> Stephen Traska, 3> Tim Fisher, 4> Robert St. John, 5> Mark Adams.

I saw everybody except for Mark and they all had really nice skates. It was close, but Jeremy and Stephen's spins were really difficult and well done. Jeremy tried an Axel and 2-footed it a little, but it was a nice attempt. He did a good one in warm-up.

Gold Men: 1> ??? Chang (or Cheng) sorry ... a tall Asian dude 2> Chris Williams, 3> Franklin Romero

I only saw parts of this event. Tall Asian dude had awesome jumps, including a solid double loop and double salchow. I think he missed one spin, but the rest looked really good. Chris hit a couple of really nice spins, had at least one good double salchow and a good axel, I think. I only saw the end of Frank's program. He missed his double salchow, but had some nice spins and I was told had a good axel and double toe.

Tim

jazzpants
02-04-2007, 01:19 AM
Gold Men: 1> ??? Chang (or Cheng) sorry ... a tall Asian dude 2> Chris Williams, 3> Franklin Romero

I only saw parts of this event. Tall Asian dude had awesome jumps, including a solid double loop and double salchow. I think he missed one spin, but the rest looked really good. Chris hit a couple of really nice spins, had at least one good double salchow and a good axel, I think. I only saw the end of Frank's program. He missed his double salchow, but had some nice spins and I was told had a good axel and double toe. Tall Asian dude is Gilbert Chang and both he and his wife April are LOVELY skaters and people!!! Congrats, Gilbert!!! :bow: :bow: :bow:

And yes, Frank has a nice axel with good flow and pop... at least from what I remember watching from last year's AN video! And I CERTAINLY didn't know how well he does his double toe either... so definitely... :bow: (So Frank, how does it feel now being a Gold guy???) :D

And yeah to Chris too! (What can I say??? I'm cheering for everyone in this group of Adult Gold Men!!! :lol: :bow: )

Stormy
02-04-2007, 07:45 AM
Yes, Gilbert and Spril are both super nice and great skaters!

Congrats, NoVa! :bow:

pairman2
02-04-2007, 08:16 AM
Big Congrats to Tara & Tim on Adult Gold Pairs victory!
Awesome team, very very impressive!

Andrea & Lee

jazzpants
02-04-2007, 11:16 AM
Big Congrats to Tara & Tim on Adult Gold Pairs victory!
Awesome team, very very impressive!

Andrea & LeeYes, definitely congrats to icecatepairs and 2salch0w! Nicely done in Adult Gold Pairs!!!

Before I forget again... :roll:

Congrats on your Silver in Silver Man, NoVa! :bow:

coskater64
02-04-2007, 12:00 PM
I saw the whole golds men event and it was very good. Gilbert skated very well and did only miss one thing but had nice doubles, sow, toe and loop with good flow in and out, he has beautiful carriage. April was at home with their new baby Ryson who is 3 1/2 months old. Chris did a very good job and came in 2nd he had an amusing landing on his flying sit. Frank moved up and while his first axel was shaky his lutz 2 toe was very nice as was his 2nd axel. He had very nice flow and skated well. Kelton came in 4th his jumps had nice flow out but he missed the 2 sow on his sequence, his footwork looked very difficult. Tony came in 5th and had very good speed but may have left out a few of his jumps.

Heather Hilligar (sp) a lovely skater won the gold ladies, she does only 2 axels but her speed flow and positions are just lovely, she has really solid power, I think she took spins and I know she took gold moves as well. I only saw the last part of Tara's program but her spins were very nice as always she hits incredible positions.

Master's Ladies 1 & 2 had Amy Entwhistle who won, nice tano 2 Lutz amazing footwork, she did take one fall but otherwise skated really well, her artistic was also incredible. The second place skater who was 26 named possibly Stephanie was excellent in practice with solid 2f 2t and 2l 2l easy doubles good footwork and has been skating for the last few years at the Sr. ladies level, a very pretty skater. Third was to Tiffany also a very pretty skater, taller and more lanky with nice flow and good jumps she was solid up to about flip. Joy had as always lovely spins and some good jumps, nice footwork I think she missed one jump but the group was pretty hardcore. Deb Spencer was also in this group and did a good job as well attempting all of her jumps and skating well overall. Deb also won gold solo dance.

Master's Ladies 3 & 4
Beth Delano did a lovely job even though they had some issues with her music, she fell on her 2 flip but after that it went nicely, incredible layback position. Liz McG skated very well and just missed a clean 2 flip, a toe tap from the free leg, lovely spirals, very neat, heavily twizzled and good jumps had one fall but otherwise nice. 3rd was a tie between a lovely woman Beth and De la rose, damn totally forget names. Both were very fast and had some lovely jumps and spins. I came in last, but managed not to have straight 5's across the board getting the odd 3rd and 4th place mark. I skated slowly and steadily doing jumps all a lutz and below. Ruined my pretty footwork but otherwise skated as well as I could.

Gilbert and I did Master's moves, gilbert won easily but it was fun to skate against him. It was freezing cold.

Debbie S
02-04-2007, 02:37 PM
The second place skater who was 26 named possibly Stephanie was excellent in practice with solid 2f 2t and 2l 2l easy doubles good footwork and has been skating for the last few years at the Sr. ladies level, a very pretty skater. Actually, her name is Heather. She is a full-time skating coach and runs the skating program at one of the rinks where I skate. She is Senior level, and competed in Senior Ladies at Liberty (big east coast summer club comp) for a couple of years before she turned 25 - she finished 5th (I think) in Champ Masters at AN last year.

Sorry, coskater, I missed both of your performances, although I saw a bit of the end of your MIF comp - good for you for getting back on the ice and competing so soon after hip surgery. Onward and upward!

Congrats to all 3 of the Gold Pairs, who all did a great job! :bow: Frank R's program rocked! I'll add a bit to 2salch0w's report and note that Frank did an axel and the 2 toe in combo - it was very impressive....and the connecting elements weren't too shabby, either. :)

NYI was probably my last comp for a while, maybe ever, although I guess one should never say never - lol. I'm going to focus on my Silver MIF for the next few months and try to pass by the end of the summer, or fall....or whenever. And I want to work on improving my skill repertoire without worrying about the next comp coming up. Truthfully, I'm starting to wonder if competing is just too expensive and too much of a hassle. If I do compete again, I'll probably do Interp and not FS.

FrankR
02-04-2007, 06:51 PM
Hi all,

Thanks so much for the kind words!!

The first thing that I simply must say is that I found this competition to be very well run and enjoyable. My mother and I were talking on the ride up from Virginia and we were both very comfortable throughout the event. Everyone was very gracious and pleasant and it was a delight to see so many familiar faces and meet some new people as well.

Regarding my event, I'll start off by saying that it was a thrill to skate with all of those guys. I was actually pretty uptight about this being my first event at gold. I just wasn't sure how I'd handle the harder elements and whether or not I'd have the endurace to stay strong through a slightly longer program. I was also a bit worried about whether or not I'd be able to get over my feet quickly enough in the six minute warm-up to do the double jumps I'd planned. All in all, I was very pleased with how I did. Although I'd be lying if I said I wasn't ticked off about almost eating it on that first axel. :lol: I'm glad I managed to stand up a double sal in the warm-up because it was the only way I was going to prove to anyone that I could do that jump at this event since my attempt in the program was more than a little askew. :P I also would have preferred if the camel portion of my combination spin would have actually resembled a camel instead of an indisposed amoeba. 8O However, I did pull off my other content more or less to the best of my current ability so I'm happy with how I did. I was also glad to get some feedback from the judges regarding my program. I'm also so happy that I got some compliments regarding the construction of the program itself. That meant a lot to me. :)

Thanks again to everyone at Ashburn and best of luck to everyone I saw both on and off the ice.

Frank

skatingatty
02-04-2007, 11:04 PM
I only got to see the Silver Ladies' free skates today and was glad to see Diana, Marna, and Melissa's nice performances. (Beautiful costumes too!!) Of course, there were some other familiar faces too, but the audience seemed smaller than from previous years. I had my skates in the car and wished I had been able to compete too. :) Seeing how dedicated the other adult skaters are is making me want to focus on the gold moves test, but I know it is hard to pass on the 1st try, and taking lessons/practice time/test fees can easily top $1000. So, I have purchased a new skating dress to inspire me to do a new gold-level program for 2008 or 2009. I'm happy to hear that Heather H. won Gold Ladies without doubles. I tried some double salchows without any success. I better stop before I seriously injure myself.

Getting back to the Ashburn competition, I wish I could've seen the free skates on Sat. It's great that Gilbert (aka Tall Asian Dude) came all the way from CA and skated so well. I would have liked to have cheered on everyone, including fellow NC'er Kelton & "NoVa" (my friend Coreen says she's met you at the local rinks- we skated/shuffled around at the Ballston rink on a crappy public session yesterday). Congratulations to all the participants!

NoVa Sk8r
02-04-2007, 11:11 PM
I would have liked to have cheered on everyone, including fellow NC'er Kelton & "NoVa" (my friend Coreen says she's met you at the local rinks- we skated/shuffled around at the Ballston rink on a crappy public session yesterday). Congratulations to all the participants!Hmm, is she the one that recently moved back here after 3 or so years in Hawaii? (If so, I sometimes see her at Mt. Vernon on Fridays, 9:15-11:15am.) I'm trying to convince her to do pairs--the more, the merrier!

NoVa Sk8r
02-04-2007, 11:21 PM
I only got to see the Silver Ladies' free skates today and was glad to see Diana, Marna, and Melissa's nice performances. (Beautiful costumes too!!)Ooh, I wish I could have been there to see Sunday's events, but I wasn't feeling well (and had to deal with a death in the family:( ).
I hope everyone skated well. I also heard that it was F-R-E-E-Z-I-N-G at the crAshburn rink. http://www.cosgan.de/images/midi/verschiedene/r020.gif

coskater64
02-05-2007, 09:38 AM
While I don't know the results of the younger silver ladies, I saw III and IV and Jenny Bill from the UK skated very nicely, only a small bobble on her back sit spin but nice flow and good jumps. Marna did a nice job as well, love her dress! It looked like ladies III was rather crowded but several very nice skates. Singerskates back in IV also did a good job.

It was absolutely freezing cold in that rink, I did the FM against Gilbert and we were both sooooo cold!

It was a very nice competition! I leave for other locales later tonight.

Ciao yall8O

Isk8NYC
02-05-2007, 10:08 AM
Congratulations Everyone!
Sounds like everyone skated well, which is the best case scenario ...
Made it tough for the judges, I'm sure!

MusicSkateFan
02-05-2007, 10:43 AM
I did not compete because I was taking a break after my Silver tests. I did not get to see much because of a work event that I had to attend. The few people I saw inspired me to get back to my training program and start getting my $#^& together for a local competition and on to Nats!

BTW.....I hate "Crashburn" (nick name for the rink of NYI) I hope someday they could have it at the New Ballston Rink.....local bars, food, shopping, far more interesting than "CRASHBURN!"

jenlyon60
02-05-2007, 11:20 AM
I did not compete because I was taking a break after my Silver tests. I did not get to see much because of a work event that I had to attend. The few people I saw inspired me to get back to my training program and start getting my $#^& together for a local competition and on to Nats!

BTW.....I hate "Crashburn" (nick name for the rink of NYI) I hope someday they could have it at the New Ballston Rink.....local bars, food, shopping, far more interesting than "CRASHBURN!"

The problem is that the cost for ice at Ballston is prohibitive for running a competition. To do a competition there, with their existing ice costs, the entry fees for competitors/events would probably have to be increased substantially just to cover the cost of the ice. And unfortunately when entry fees go up a lot, the number of competitors or number of starts often tends to drop. Which then becomes a vicious circle.

FWIW, the ice and temperature at the rink in Reston generally tends to be colder than "Crashburn." (I skate a couple times a week at each of the 2 rinks... and I find Ashburn to be much warmer than Reston.)

Debbie S
02-05-2007, 12:30 PM
FWIW, the ice and temperature at the rink in Reston generally tends to be colder than "Crashburn." (I skate a couple times a week at each of the 2 rinks... and I find Ashburn to be much warmer than Reston.)Well, I've never skated at Reston, but I found Ashburn to be freezing this year, especially yesterday. Saturday, I did feel some warm air blowing from somewhere, but yesterday was awful. I'm not trying to sound like a whiner or make excuses, but it's hard to skate well when you are that cold. Plus, the ice seemed much harder than in previous years. I realize everyone else is in the same boat, but the fact is, if you pay money to enter a comp, you want to be at a comfort level to skate your best, or close to it, regardless of wherever you place. And then there were the problems with the sound system, and the hurry-up-and-wait of yesterday - for both of my events, one minute I was told my warm-up was starting momentarily (15-20 min ahead of schedule), and then the next (after I'd rushed to finish tying my skates), I was told to come back in X minutes (when the event was scheduled to start). And on Saturday, I and another skater in my CM event were waiting at our end of the ice for our warm-up and no ice monitor was there to open the door, and then we noticed other skaters were being let on through the main door, so we had to rush down the hallway to not miss too much of our warm-up. Usually, NYI is very well-run, but it was lacking a bit in that area this year.

And as long as I'm sharing my views ;) , I wasn't happy that the video company the comp used this year only offered DVDs and wouldn't do VHS. I don't have a DVD player, and not all DVD formats play in my computer. They assured me my computer would read it, so I did order one....and then was told it would be 4 to 6 weeks, when wait time in the past with Productions East was about a week, or less. :twisted:

As far as other rinks go, has there been any thought to having the comp at Cabin John? I know they had CRC last year. The times I've been to that rink, the rinks temps have seemed pretty reasonable, for rinks anyway.

jenlyon60
02-05-2007, 12:45 PM
I know the chief referee was concerned about the repeated issues with the sound system. I believe the music tech ended up jerry-rigging a combination of his own equipment and the rink sound system to try and get something that would consistently work.

On your event timing issue, I think they were trying to keep moving so people could get done skating and out of the rink home. Then the event referee realized how far ahead of schedule they were and decided to hold up until actual event scheduled time (or close to it).

Often when things move along repeatedly to where events are starting 20-30 minutes ahead of schedule, the referee will choose to take a break to get back to something resembling the advertised schedule. In fact, I think there's a rule (or at least strongly worded suggestion) about not being more than 30 minutes ahead of schedule. I guess if I ever make it to the point of being a referee, I'll find that out. I've been in competitions where they got well over 30 minutes ahead of advertised schedule, what with scratches and just proceeding quicker than estimated, and having an extended "wait period" as a result.

Don't know all the logic behind the decision (I just had to make sure there was plenty of hot fresh coffee handy for the officials...and I blew the circuit breaker in the party room at one point.)

Debbie S
02-05-2007, 02:11 PM
On your event timing issue, I think they were trying to keep moving so people could get done skating and out of the rink home. Then the event referee realized how far ahead of schedule they were and decided to hold up until actual event scheduled time (or close to it).
I didn't have issues with the break - what I had issues with was being told to hurry up, and after rushing to be ready on the spot, to then be told, essentially, never mind. Before my MIF warm-up, the monitor came into the locker room looking for me, after a friend told her I was there, and told me that my warm-up was about to start, and then when I said I was tying my skates as fast as I could, then told me that I "should be ready to go now". I pointed out that I had been following the event schedule and wasn't supposed to have to be ready for another 15 minutes. I know we should, as a rule, always be ready to go a few minutes early, but 15 minutes? As it turned out, a couple of other people in my event weren't even in the locker room/rink area, so was there really a need for the monitor to hunt down and scold the people who were? For my FS event, the monitor was frantically talking with someone on her walkie-talkie (Tim?) trying to find 2 people (they were up in the lounge area) and after I told her where they were, she said "they need to be here" - 20 minutes early? A few seconds later, the monitor decided we would take a 15 minute break. I went upstairs to find the 2 people freaking out, thinking they were missing the warm-up, b/c apparently someone told them to get their skates on and go down at that moment - they were very relieved when I told them they had a few minutes.

Why couldn't they just take a break w/o having to get people all in a dither? Competitions are stressful enough as it is.

Mrs Redboots
02-05-2007, 02:29 PM
Here, they aren't allowed to get more than 30 minutes ahead of schedule - if they do, the referee orders a break.

It's horrible competing in a really cold rink - you should try the Dune of Flanders Cup sometimes, now there's cold - but I feel sorriest for the poor judges, who can't even move around to keep themselves warm! I have known them carry hot-water-bottles with them!

doubletoe
02-05-2007, 02:29 PM
Tall Asian dude is Gilbert Chang and both he and his wife April are LOVELY skaters and people!!! Congrats, Gilbert!!! :bow: :bow: :bow:

And yes, Frank has a nice axel with good flow and pop... at least from what I remember watching from last year's AN video! And I CERTAINLY didn't know how well he does his double toe either... so definitely... :bow: (So Frank, how does it feel now being a Gold guy???) :D

And yeah to Chris too! (What can I say??? I'm cheering for everyone in this group of Adult Gold Men!!! :lol: :bow: )

Ahh, I was wondering if it was Gilbert Chiang (actually spelled with an "i") and what the heck he was doing so far away from San Diego, LOL! He is a beautiful skater and a wonderful guy! He and April just had a baby boy this year and he is adorable! I hear they are going to be bringing hip to Pacific Coast Adult Sectionals. :)

lovepairs
02-05-2007, 02:37 PM
Franklin,

I have to say that I really loved what you were wearing! I thought it was understated, yet, elegant, and your really looked very very hot!!!

Antonio,

Your outfit is very very hot, too! Also, you have the best glide and flow over the ice that I've ever seen come out of an adult!!! I just really love how you skate!

We had a blast, but, yes, I agree the sound system was a problem...what happened? Also, this year seemed to be even more crowded with little kids...they even gave us less warm up room on the second landing with a kid's party taking up the space where we usually stretch.

One big draw back for the pair teams: no place to do off-ice lifts, which are really important to do before a comeptition. Lee put me into a star lift and my foot went throught the ceiling! Literally, you know those drop ceiling panels! We couldn't lift downstairs, like we did in the past, because way too many little kids running around. The only place left was in the rink behind the stands, but this wasn't safe either, because there is about a 20ft. drop over the railing should something happen.

FrankR
02-05-2007, 03:13 PM
Franklin,

I have to say that I really loved what you were wearing! I thought it was understated, yet, elegant, and your really looked very very hot!!!

Hey there,

Really?? 8O That shirt literally came off the rack at Express. :lol: It was like $15.99. I'm having a costume made for Easterns (hopefully). I just didn't get on the ball about talking to the costume-maker until just before I left. So I had to go to my vast repertoire of wrinkly shirts from the mall. I'm glad you liked it. So thanks!! ;)

lovepairs
02-05-2007, 03:46 PM
No, I'm tellin ya pal, you looked really hot out there! Stick to the shirt!!!

lovepairs
02-05-2007, 03:53 PM
Debbie S.

You weren't alone...we got rushed, too! The Gold Pairs 6 minute warm up started while the podium ceremony was still going on, so there was no one in the stands.

This was good, though, because no one saw Lee and me crash into the wall, doing absolutely nothing but cross overs at light speed! I bounced off the wall like a stunned bird that just flew into a window! LOL!!! It was hilarous, because it happened on the wall right next to the judges, and Lee and I both crashed into this wall, and you know, we're really big people, so we thought if the judges didn't strap themselves in with their seatbelts that we probably knocked a few of them off the podium!!! I spend the next 5 minutes following Lee around like the "Three Blind Mice," because after that I didn't know where anything went???$%^$%&^&()&(*&^* I'm like "where do we do the footwork?" "Where do our s-b-s spins go???" It was hilarious!!! We couldn't stop laughing about it on Sunday. Thank god we got that little piece of Vaudeville out of our systems with no one watching!

Terri C
02-05-2007, 03:54 PM
While I wasn't there this year, I'd like to share what I observed the last three years that I attended.
2004: There was club ice for competitors on Friday afternoon. I totally loved it! It was bitterly cold outside, but fairly warm inside the rink and event well run.

2005: Practice ice was only available on Saturday/ Sunday morning, so those of us that arrived on Friday basically were on the rink run freestyle sessions. I was on with NoVa/Loops, skaternum and her partner, two high level dance teams and a few little beginners. I remember there being music problems throughout the day on Saturday (and during my Interp). I also remember the TV with cartoons being turned off for the awards ceremony. Sunday morning, Debbie S was told to hurry up because the event was running early. I remember my flight being still in the locker room and me having tell them that we were up.

2006: Again practice ice was only on Saturday and Sunday morning. Rink was very crowded on Saturday with people there for LTS and public session.

I know that it has been said that the Ballston rink is pricey to use for a competition. But for those of us travelling, if I'm reading the maps right, it's just right off the Beltway. Might be easier to get to- and the mall- coolness!

Terri C
02-05-2007, 03:56 PM
Ooh, I wish I could have been there to see Sunday's events, but I wasn't feeling well (and had to deal with a death in the family:( ).
I hope everyone skated well. I also heard that it was F-R-E-E-Z-I-N-G at the crAshburn rink. http://www.cosgan.de/images/midi/verschiedene/r020.gif

NoVa,
Hope everything is okay- you're in my prayers. Now why do they call the rink "Crash- burn?"

manleywoman
02-05-2007, 04:31 PM
One big draw back for the pair teams: no place to do off-ice lifts, which are really important to do before a comeptition. Lee put me into a star lift and my foot went throught the ceiling!

FYI, you won't have that problem at ANs, as the ceilings upstairs are very high.

lovepairs
02-05-2007, 05:14 PM
Thanks, Manly...good to know! Are you from the Chicago area? Is there any place close to the rink that is good to have one's hair and nails done?

manleywoman
02-05-2007, 05:15 PM
Thanks, Manly...good to know! Are you from the Chicago area? Is there any place close to the rink that is good to have one's hair and nails done?
From Chicago, not Bensenville! I'm not really familiar with anyting immediately around the rink, sorry! But i would call the main hotel and ask them, as I'd think they'd have the best suggestions.

mikawendy
02-05-2007, 07:50 PM
I thought the event photographer who was taking the still photos did a really fabulous job--a lot of the pictures were very clean, crisp images, not very many at all that were overexposed, and the action shots were captured nicely (not a lot of odd-looking mid-jump shots, and none where feet or arms were cut off). One of the women taking orders said that the guy doing still photos had taken lots of photos of his older brother during his brother's competitive skating days, and it showed in the quality of the shots.

Isk8NYC
02-05-2007, 08:32 PM
Thanks, Manly...Everytime someone spells your membername this way, I think of Laura Ingalls Wilder. She called her husband "Manly."

lovepairs
02-06-2007, 05:18 AM
Really Mika? Well, they couldn't seem to upload the Gold Pairs event at all. We had new outfits, and really needed to see how they read on the ice, so that I could make alterations if necessary...and nothing...no pictures.

Part of doing these competitions is being able to get immediate feedback (stills and moving) so, that you can take it back home and improve upon things. We were very disappointed that there was a three week wait to receive DVDs (only) of the skates (not everyone owns a DVD player), and that we couldn't even see stills while we were there.

I might recommend "Local Motion Productions" for next year's competition. They provide instantaneous service; not only can you walk away with a VHS, or DVD of your skate, but they burn all of your stills onto a CD right then and there for you, so that you can print out whatever you wish.

FrankR
02-06-2007, 08:53 AM
Really Mika? Well, they couldn't seem to upload the Gold Pairs event at all. We had new outfits, and really needed to see how they read on the ice, so that I could make alterations if necessary...and nothing...no pictures.

Part of doing these competitions is being able to get immediate feedback (stills and moving) so, that you can take it back home and improve upon things. We were very disappointed that there was a three week wait to receive DVDs (only) of the skates (not everyone owns a DVD player), and that we couldn't even see stills while we were there.

I might recommend "Local Motion Productions" for next year's competition. They provide instantaneous service; not only can you walk away with a VHS, or DVD of your skate, but they burn all of your stills onto a CD right then and there for you, so that you can print out whatever you wish.

I spoke with Marianne of 5marks.com (this year's picture and video vendor at NYI) and it was her intention to provide immediate previews of pictures and videos. Unfortunately, they had a couple of glitches that prevented them from doing so. Apparently they had some sort of computer malfunction from event #12 or 13 forward throughout all of Saturday and couldn't get the still image previews up until a little after 6pm that day. In addition, she told me that they had to shoot video through the hockey glass and that they would need to digitally filter the footage before they would be able to show it.

I felt badly for her. She looked absolutely mortified when I spoke to her. She's a former skating mom herself and she said she knows how important the pictures and videos are and that she feels terrible that all these problems cropped up all of a sudden. She was very nice though. She took down my e-mail, told me she would let me know when the pictures and video were uploaded to their website and assured me that I'd be able to place an order online through their site.

lovepairs
02-06-2007, 10:02 AM
Yes, I'm sure they lost a lot of business that they were counting upon at the event. I feel bad for them, too. Thanks for their website link, Franklin!

It seems like there were a lot of technical issues this year between the music and videos.

Debbie S
02-06-2007, 03:20 PM
Apparently they had some sort of computer malfunction from event #12 or 13 forward throughout all of Saturday and couldn't get the still image previews up until a little after 6pm that day. In addition, she told me that they had to shoot video through the hockey glass and that they would need to digitally filter the footage before they would be able to show it. It must have been #13 - my CM event was #12 and there were pics up Sat aftn. I wasn't too impressed with the pics of my FS - the photog missed half my program, although given the way I skated, that might be a good thing. But really....there were a few shots (like frame by frame) of my opening pose and movements, and then nothing until almost the end (about 5 pics of my back during my scratch spin - could they have gotten at least one of me facing the camera? :roll: ). My spiral was completely missed.

Odd that they had to shoot the video through glass - in past years, I thought both cameras (still and video) were set up in that area next to the judges' stand that doesn't have glass in front of it. Oh well. I hope the video doesn't have weird reflections (and that I can actually play it in my computer to see for myself). Not that I really want to see it, but hey, I did order it, so I might as well watch.

I don't know who's doing the video at AN this year, but when I expressed my annoyance that there was no VHS option and mentioned that at every other comp I had been to, the videographers gave people a choice of VHS or DVD, the woman asked me which comps, and when I mentioned AN as one of them (I have never been to AN, but I did order the videos of my Bronze age group the past 2 years), she said that the videographer for AN would only be offering DVDs. From the way it sounded, though, I don't think it's her company.

lovepairs
02-06-2007, 05:10 PM
"Local Motion Productions" did the stills at Dallas AN, and I know for a fact that they are doing AN in Chicago. You can see their work on:

www.adultpairskating.com

Click on Nationals/Dallas (we have their podium shots up.)

If I'm not mistaken, I believe that they did the DVD, VHS, and CD burns, too, and you could take everything away with you right then and there.

Very generous company--they are donating the podium shots for the Pairs Chicago Podiums in exchange for advertising on our home page in order to help out the Adult Pair Skating Website.

By the way, we are looking for another sponsor for this website. If you know anyone who might be interested, please give me a shout: acooper19426@earthlink.net

Thanks!
Lovepairs

skatingatty
02-07-2007, 12:00 AM
Hmm, is she the one that recently moved back here after 3 or so years in Hawaii? (If so, I sometimes see her at Mt. Vernon on Fridays, 9:15-11:15am.) I'm trying to convince her to do pairs--the more, the merrier!

Yes, and before that, she was living in No. Virginia and skated at the Mt. Vernon rink. She did do pairs briefly in Hawaii, but I think she's focusing on ice dance now. Next time you see her, ask her about our crazy hunt through downtown DC to find Michelle Kwan after Worlds 2003.

On another note, I'm sorry to hear that you had a death in the family.
Also, I need to email you and Loops the pics of you 2 from December at the Ballston rink.

NoVa Sk8r
02-07-2007, 12:58 AM
Yes, and before that, she was living in No. Virginia and skated at the Mt. Vernon rink. She did do pairs briefly in Hawaii, but I think she's focusing on ice dance now. Next time you see her, ask her about our crazy hunt through downtown DC to find Michelle Kwan after Worlds 2003.Ah, OK. (Mt. Vernon is my primary rink.)
Worlds 2003? Ah, the memories--I was a volunteer with an all-access credential pass (don't know how I got that, but hey...). I got to stand next to Brian Boitano during Kwan's press conference. That was quite something witnessing how they were non-verbally communicating.

On another note, I'm sorry to hear that you had a death in the family.
Also, I need to email you and Loops the pics of you 2 from December at the Ballston rink.On the plus side, I am flying to NY tomorrow and was able to get a last-minute appointment with Klingbeil (the insides of my boots have ripped and desperately need repair). At least getting to Jamaica, Queens, is easy from the LIRR.

Can't wait to see the pics! 8-)

skatingatty
02-07-2007, 08:27 PM
I got to stand next to Brian Boitano during Kwan's press conference. That was quite something witnessing how they were non-verbally communicating.

On the plus side, I am flying to NY tomorrow and was able to get a last-minute appointment with Klingbeil (the insides of my boots have ripped and desperately need repair). At least getting to Jamaica, Queens, is easy from the LIRR.

I volunteered in the skater's hospitality room during that worlds and also got to stand next to Brian Boitano, eavesdropping on his conversation with Scott Williams, after the competition, when we finally stalked Michelle at a small hotel bar. :) That sounds so big time to fly to NY for a special appt. at Klingbeil. Hope they repair everything to save your boots!

skaternum
02-08-2007, 09:22 AM
That sounds so big time to fly to NY for a special appt. at Klingbeil. Hope they repair everything to save your boots!I've done that a couple of times. When I first decided to get K'beils, I felt I needed to get fitted by the master, himself, because I had all kinds of weird things going on with my foot, knee & hip alignment. So I flew up for both the fitting and the pickup (because I needed to get any necessary adjustments made right then). For my second pair of K'beils, I decided to go up again -- just because. It's just too cool to go there. It's like a pilgrimage! :) I love hanging out in the shop, munching on a bagel, being entertained by the father & son show. It's great!! It'd be a black day if they ever stopped making those wonderful boots in that little hole in the wall.

FrankR
02-08-2007, 09:42 AM
I've done that a couple of times. When I first decided to get K'beils, I felt I needed to get fitted by the master, himself, because I had all kinds of weird things going on with my foot, knee & hip alignment. So I flew up for both the fitting and the pickup (because I needed to get any necessary adjustments made right then). For my second pair of K'beils, I decided to go up again -- just because. It's just too cool to go there. It's like a pilgrimage! :) I love hanging out in the shop, munching on a bagel, being entertained by the father & son show. It's great!! It'd be a black day if they ever stopped making those wonderful boots in that little hole in the wall.

Speaking of which, I had heard a while back that Mr. Klingbeil Sr. had been ill. Does anyone know if he's doing better now? I sure hope so. I agree with skaternum. The Klingbeils (the people AND the boots) are a wonderful part of the world of figure skating.

Isk8NYC
02-08-2007, 10:11 AM
I was at Klingbeil's in December for new boots and Don said that Bill's illness has progressed and he won't be coming into the shop anymore. I believe Bill Klingbeil has Alzheimer's, unfortunately.

Don's still as entertaining and opinionated as ever, and the bagels are just as good.
I went during the week and was able to chat with Janice, who I haven't seen for years.

Can you imagine having to dust that place?

flo
02-08-2007, 10:27 AM
Anyone had Klingbeil's and Harlicks or Jacksons? I'm still having major skate problems. My custom Harlicks are a lost cause and the Jacksons are too big. One thing I do like about the Jacksons is that the heel sits lower than those of the Harlicks, giving a better feeling of being into the ice. Anyone have any comparisons of Klingbeils?
Thanks

FrankR
02-08-2007, 10:42 AM
I was at Klingbeil's in December for new boots and Don said that Bill's illness has progressed and he won't be coming into the shop anymore. I believe Bill Klingbeil has Alzheimer's, unfortunately.

Don's still as entertaining and opinionated as ever, and the bagels are just as good.
I went during the week and was able to chat with Janice, who I haven't seen for years.

Can you imagine having to dust that place?

Thanks so much for the update, Isk8NYC. I'm so sad to hear about Bill's illness.

I'm due for new skates after this season so I'll probably have a chance to stop into the shop in the spring. It'll be nice to catch up with Bill and Janice.

No, I can't imagine dusting that place. 8O :lol: Between the pictures on the wall and all the other memoribilia it must be nearly impossible to dust that place in a short period of time. Give it a month or three or four, maybe. ;)

FrankR
02-08-2007, 10:45 AM
Anyone had Klingbeil's and Harlicks or Jacksons? I'm still having major skate problems. My custom Harlicks are a lost cause and the Jacksons are too big. One thing I do like about the Jacksons is that the heel sits lower than those of the Harlicks, giving a better feeling of being into the ice. Anyone have any comparisons of Klingbeils?
Thanks

Hi flo,

My first pair of skates were a beginner set from Jackson that I bought straight out of the pro shop and I have Klingbeil's now. The Klingbei's were custom boots. Since the Jacksons weren't custom boots I don't know if it's really fair to compare them with my Klingbeils. I don't recall having any trouble with the Jacksons. It took me a while to get used to my Klingbeils but I certainly feel comfortable in them now.

Sorry I couldn't be of any more help.

Frank

skaternum
02-08-2007, 11:43 AM
Anyone have any comparisons of Klingbeils?I've skated in both the K'beils and the high-end Jacksons. In fact, I went to K'beil in desperation after having a miserable experience with the Jacksons. The difference in quality was visible. For example, the Jacksons had a cheap plastic last, lesser quality stitching, were slightly warped, and had an uneven heel. The beauty of K'beil is that they're really custom. So if you want, they'll cut the heel down in the back, or do whatever. Their customer service is outstanding. It took a few adjustments (my alignment was pretty messed up at the time), but once they got them sorted out, I haven't had any problems with them. I love 'em!

jenlyon60
02-08-2007, 11:53 AM
I'm on my 3rd or 4th pair of Klingbeils. My previous pairs had lower heels, but on the current pair I had a higher heel done. I guess it helps with the dance. It was a bit odd at first, the other year, but I'm used to it now, so don't think about it.

I haven't been to the shop for measurements, though. I was measured for my first 3 pairs by Skaters Paradise, and for the current pair by Paul at Wings of Steel. The current pair still has at least a year's worth of life left in it, especially since my skating will be quite limited for the next few months (I'm joining the knee surgery gang, as of beginning of March.)

flo
02-08-2007, 12:27 PM
Thanks! I had loved my Harlicks until this lemon pair. And now that I'm sitting down in the heel, I do like that. I'll try to find a used pair to get my feet in. It's hard to tell with the new ones, they all feel the same.

NoVa Sk8r
02-08-2007, 08:44 PM
That sounds so big time to fly to NY for a special appt. at Klingbeil. Hope they repair everything to save your boots!Well, I was coming to town for a funeral. I just called Klingbeil on a whim to see if they were available, and they were. After skating 2 sessions at Chelsea Piers, where I ripped my boots even further (:halo: ), I LIRR'ed over to Jamaica, Queens, and they restitched my boots in 30 minutes (with no charge 8-) ).

skatingatty
02-12-2007, 09:55 PM
I sure hope Klingbeil never goes out of business!! After trying Reidells, Harlicks (terrible!) and Jackson brands, I will never wear any other brand of skates again. I love my custom Klingbeil skates. I've had them for 3 years so far and they will probably last several more years (since I'm still not skating much). Great to hear that they do so much to keep their customers happy.

lskater
02-13-2007, 12:20 AM
I skated in Harlicks for 8 years until I finally got a pair of Klingbeils....I'll never go back. I was landing jumps that I had been previously struggling with in a matter of 3 weeks.....